• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

timet

Cricket Spectator
Although it was a flat pitch, I think New Zealand's lack of bowling firepower has been exposed here. They should be looking to develop young quick bowlers. I don't know why they are picking guys like Aldridge (33 years old and just starting to play international cricket).

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It was a pretty average looking bowling lineup (no Southee or Mills in particular) but still a fantastic effort by Zim to get up. Can't wait to catch the highlights.

You have to say, life after Vettori is starting to look very scary indeed.

BeeGee

International Captain
Zimbabwe 232/5 RRR 7.6

MN Waller 46*

37.2 McKay to Waller, 1 run, dropped by Taylor. He didn't pick it. This could have been a story he would gladly narrate at bars. Once upon a time we were struggling to defend 329, I moved into the slip in the 39th over, and that catch turned the game. Except I didn't pick the ball and dropped it. Sorry, Andy
The game was decided on that ball. If that catch had been taken Zimbabwe wouldn't even have come close, imo. Catches win matches.

Ross then proceeded to drop Waller two more times in the final over.

Has the same fielder (not counting keepers) ever dropped the same batsman 3 times in an ODI before?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Well I didn't expect that when I checked the score this morning. Congrats to Zimbabwe - looks like a fantastic chase and should be a big morale boost.

As for our bowlers :crazy:

I only have the bowling figures to go on but the worst would have to be that our number one ODI spinner conceded 8.85 per over and was seemingly outbowled by not just Woodcock but also Rob Nicol.

McKay is not a limited overs bowler though I think we already knew that.

Aldridge's spot in the team seems like more a reward for years of successful domestic service than a legitimate search for a backup seamer. As he is nearly 34 and is perhaps 3rd reserve seamer I doubt we'll see much more of him. Not that he was our worst bowler today...

Unlike some of you I don't think we should discard Woodcock yet. From reading the commentary it seems Zimbabwe took a few risks against him and they paid off (?), which is liable to happen sometimes to a fairly straightforward slow bowler on a flat wicket. Plus I reckon he will get better.

Looking forward to the test match and wondering if we are now more likely to see a Doug Bracewell debut.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Haha wow, good work Zimbabwe. It was our second string attack but Aldridge decimated them last year when he played them for NZ A, so good to see some improvement.

Although it was a flat pitch, I think New Zealand's lack of bowling firepower has been exposed here. They should be looking to develop young quick bowlers. I don't know why they are picking guys like Aldridge (33 years old and just starting to play international cricket).
That would be why Doug Bracewell is on tour? And Aldridge is here because he was the best bowler domestically last year, so the selectors obviously wanted to see him in action before Australia and South Africa..

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Glad I stayed up till 4am to watch the end. Awesome stuff from Zimbabwe.

They did their best to lose it with some dire slot selection at the end, but they deserved to win it after some nice knocks from Waller, Taylor, and Taibu.

New Zealand's bowling was pretty crap in all honesty. Apart from Oram, of course.
It's a bit harsh on Taylor to say he dropped 3 catches. The 2nd one would have been crazy if he pulled it off. Full stretch, top of the jump, just got a finger tip to it. The others were pretty simple though. It's funny how Taylor goes through these rough patches every now and again, then he goes through a long run of swallowing everything in his vicinity.