• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Your first line underlines further why Trott would be a liability in a One Day side despite his weight of runs!

A large part of his runs in the middle overs were singles, and if when you have batted for the best part of 30 overs and have your eye in you are still struggling to find the gaps and shift gears then it shows that you are more of a one paced batsman which is fine for Test Cricket where Trott excels, but you are always going to struggle to adapt to the specific situation in a given ODI as we saw with Trott on Thursday.

Umm, so your going to ignore the times when he didn't score runs, and we failed. Fair enough, I'm happy with Trott in our side, only Morgan is better for us. It's clearly something we won't agree on.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Seems faintly perverse to have a pop at the bloke who scores 98* @ 84.5 when his mucker who contributed 24 @ 75 barely warrants a mention.

I'd like to see Trott open myself, ultimtely with Davies, but for this tour possibly with Pietersen. Cook to come in at three as he seems the better equipped of our two accumulators to up the pace.

Kohli_fan

Banned
He didn't do that though, he was playing a shot a ball they just weren't coming off.
Yes but my point is, that if you have appliued yourself as well as Trott did clearly and batted for 30 odd overs then surely when you are looking to raise the gears if you are a capable ODI batsman then you should be able to up the strike rate at that stage of the innings on a flat pitch!

I can understand playing a shot a ball and not coming off early on in an innings in the slog overs but not a guy who was in and well set!

Howe_zat

Audio File
The [India player]_Fan user names have never really had what you'd call a glowing history, have they?

Forgive me for being cynical, but I have doubts that we're seeing a bucking of the trend.

Kohli_fan

Banned
Umm, so your going to ignore the times when he didn't score runs, and we failed. Fair enough, I'm happy with Trott in our side, only Morgan is better for us. It's clearly something we won't agree on.
I think we do have to agree to disagree! I do agree about Morgan he is an outstanding batsman as a cricket fan was sad not to see him in India but was happy as he is tough to bowl at in the death overs very inovative!

Kohli_fan

Banned
The [India player]_Fan user names have never really had what you'd call a glowing history, have they?

Forgive me for being cynical, but I have doubts that we're seeing a bucking of the trend.
Nice to meet you too! Not sure about the history! I love Cricket and so do you! ITrott is a world class batsman but in my honest opinion he is not suited to ODI cricket well not when his team needs him to step on the gas!

That is not mean to be offensive or insulting as I think he is a very talented player and could walk into mos Test 11's

Woodster

International Captain
To be fair England were outstanding in England and deserved their win but I am not too sure what they could have said about our behavious and Bresnan did have things to say anyway about our body language!

So if MSD is saying things which in all honesty are there for us all to see anyway, as in the England players having a bit of a go at each other! Then I don't see what he has done wrong it is not like he has said something that was not known or some big secret he revealed!

Virat has scored 7 ODI hundred at the age of 22 that is pretty good going! Sure he hasn't performed to his best in the Tests he has played so far but he is only 22 and only played 3 Test Matches it has not bene easy to break into our test side but i am confident once he gets his chance he will excel.

Not sure if you knew that early on in Virat's career his father died during one of his first FC games for Delhi he was the overnight not out batsman, he was in his teens, but he came back the next day and scored 90 odd not out won the game for Delhi, and went to his fathers funeral after!

I don't think you can ever accuse this man of not giving it 100% and getting the most out of his ability or for his team.
Just suggesting he doesn't have what it takes to knuckle down and do the hard yards in Test cricket. Fair play for playing then going to your dad's funeral, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. He may be happy playing LO cricket and making a living in T20 cricket, and if so, fair play to him.

I can see judging by your user name, we are not going completely agree on this subject.

Kohli_fan

Banned
Just suggesting he doesn't have what it takes to knuckle down and do the hard yards in Test cricket. Fair play for playing then going to your dad's funeral, but that's not really the point I was trying to make. He may be happy playing LO cricket and making a living in T20 cricket, and if so, fair play to him.

I can see judging by your user name, we are not going completely agree on this subject.
I do see the point you are making! and respect what you are saying! He does make good money out of IPL and ODI cricket but he genuinely from what I can see still is from the old school way of thinking in many ways and does see Test Cricket as the ultimate, I heard he was gutted to be left out of the test squad that toured England!

Don't get me wrong I still feel he has many areas that he can work on but i think he will do all he has to do to hopefully be a sucess in Test Cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
I do see the point you are making! and respect what you are saying! He does make good money out of IPL and ODI cricket but he genuinely from what I can see still is from the old school way of thinking in many ways and does see Test Cricket as the ultimate, I heard he was gutted to be left out of the test squad that toured England!

Don't get me wrong I still feel he has many areas that he can work on but i think he will do all he has to do to hopefully be a sucess in Test Cricket.
He looks a classy batsman, with a good repertoire of strokes. I hope he focuses on trying to crack Test match cricket, and not just crack a good T20 fifty. Time will tell, he looks as though he has the technical ability, but unfortunately you need more than that to become a top Test player, and players are still judged overall on their Test records in my eyes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It was a lot worse a while back during the India - Windies/Eng tests tbf :p

Remember that Dhoni comment (refer to your sig) taking up a good 20 pages?
That comment was hilarious in its stupidity though. This latest stuff is meh and doesn't deserve the time.

ganeshran

International Debutant

Kohli has played all of 3 test matches and though he has hasnt done well, certainly possesses the ability to do so provided he works harder. Its way too early to judge him.

Though he does great in T20 and earns a lot of money in it, he doesnt slog blindly and plays proper cricketing shots. The only problem with his technique is the favouring of bottomhand which he needs to get rid of.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think it is harsh to blame Trott for the troubles in the England team and he certainly deserves a place right now with the way some others are performing.What England need to work out though is how they select the batsman around him and how they build innings around him.

But having said that, especially on a pitch like Mohali if one of your top 3 batsman (who is batting till the end of the innings) ends up having a strike rate of 85, while being top scorer you are only at best aiming for a par score and are more likely to lose the match than not unless, others really step up.
Same has been the case with Kallis and Dravid too in the past.They will all get good averages at decent strike rates in the end to show, but aren't likely to be match winners or be really threatening specially on such a surface.And obviously it depends on the situation of the match but not being able to have the shots and invention to rotate the strike in some instances does build the pressure on the other batsman , even if you are able to improve your own strike rate later on.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Kohli has played all of 3 test matches and though he has hasnt done well, certainly possesses the ability to do so provided he works harder. Its way too early to judge him.

Though he does great in T20 and earns a lot of money in it, he doesnt slog blindly and plays proper cricketing shots. The only problem with his technique is the favouring of bottomhand which he needs to get rid of.
I'm not saying because he hasn't performed in his first three Tests, he can't be any good and won't make a Test cricketer. He has the shots, does he have the hunger for Test cricket, or is it all coming too easy to earn an excellent living in T20 hit and giggle. Can he cope with the demands of Test cricket, and while his technique in the shorter forms looks excellent, it will come under greater scruting in a five-day contest. I'm not sure at this stage whether he has what it takes, that's just a hunch, and he may well improve in all areas.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Virat has scored 7 ODI hundred at the age of 22 that is pretty good going! Sure he hasn't performed to his best in the Tests he has played so far but he is only 22 and only played 3 Test Matches it has not bene easy to break into our test side but i am confident once he gets his chance he will excel.
It's not been easy to break into a side that's had a huge vacancy at number 6 for the last few years?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair England were outstanding in England and deserved their win but I am not too sure what they could have said about our behavious and Bresnan did have things to say anyway about our body language!

So if MSD is saying things which in all honesty are there for us all to see anyway, as in the England players having a bit of a go at each other! Then I don't see what he has done wrong it is not like he has said something that was not known or some big secret he revealed!

Not sure if you knew that early on in Virat's career his father died during one of his first FC games for Delhi he was the overnight not out batsman, he was in his teens, but he came back the next day and scored 90 odd not out won the game for Delhi, and went to his fathers funeral after!

I don't think you can ever accuse this man of not giving it 100% and getting the most out of his ability or for his team.
he was actually out that game and Delhi only drew.. But they would have probably lost if not for him..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
said it before and say it again. Kohli reminds of a young Ponting... Even though Punter had a good start to his test career, I never felt he will be that good in tests.. Obviously I was wrong.. But I see a lot of Ponting here with Kohli and think he can be a similar player, perhaps not of the same class but not too much below..

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
said it before and say it again. Kohli reminds of a young Ponting... Even though Punter had a good start to his test career, I never felt he will be that good in tests.. Obviously I was wrong.. But I see a lot of Ponting here with Kohli and think he can be a similar player, perhaps not of the same class but not too much below..
iirc he was also dropped for a few series early on.