• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Sorry to people not getting the sarcasm:)

How has Dernbach done OK compared to our other bowlers, a 168 average whilst going at 6.54, is not okay in any way.

Most of us that have watched him, think the guy has no stock ball, is inaccurate, and his variations are fast being found out by International quality teams. See Yadav in about two series time.
I meant he was OK in the first 3 ODIs if you see what the other english bowlers have managed in those matches, even Bresnan has failed and Finn hasn't performed that well either, the wickets have nothing to offer for the faster bowlers.
Dernbach deserves a few matches after this series before we can actually judge him.

And regarding Yadav, he is a good bowler, but he lacks the accuracy at the moment and is too raw for the international level, he needs to be groomed properly before picking him for limited overs cricket, thats what I mean. Even Aroon isn't ready yet ,but he might click if he gets a chance because he is a bit more accurate,
the indian management is just pathetic, bunch of jokers playing with the careers of young players.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, but on what basis does Dernback deserve a few more matches? He's been **** almost entirely through his career.

Kohli_fan

Banned
As an Indian fan, I would be very happy for Dernbach to play every game against us no doubt that he can bowl at great pace But he bowls slower balls even early on! Why would you bowl a slow ball first ball of a spell the batter has nothing to compare it too!

Also would be delighted if England keep picking Trott! He may be the leading run scorer in ODIS in 2011 but to be honest he bats England out of the game and puts pressure on the guys around him, Pietersen despite the documented bad run of form, is in my view way more of a threat to us than Trott, because of the momentum he brings to an innings. Trott is a pretty selfish ODI batsman no doubt he will keep scoring runs and working his singles! But that alone will not set up a match winning score, so again if England want to keep playing him then that is great from our point of view too!

Woodster

International Captain
Just to refer to the earlier conversation, I was surprised Dhoni came out with those comments about how you should treat your team-mates, etc, England are clearly a proud bunch that have got used to winning and find it frustrating when they're not on top. All top sides do not like losing and so vent their frustrations, whether that is right or wrong, it certainly isn't anything to do with Dhoni how England are with each other. Strauss or Cook could have made certain comments on their body language throughout the summer when they had a look of a side disinterested and knowing they were unable to compete with the opposition, give me a bit of fight anyday!

That's not to say I approve of any in-fighting. Mistakes are made, that's cricket, there's nothing wrong with pushing each other to achieve the maximum performance, but let's not get sulky with each other.

As for sledging the Indians, that's part of cricket, get on with it, whether we're losing or not. If I was playing against Virat Kohli, I'd have given much more than what he received.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As an Indian fan, I would be very happy for Dernbach to play every game against us no doubt that he can bowl at great pace But he bowls slower balls even early on! Why would you bowl a slow ball first ball of a spell the batter has nothing to compare it too!

Also would be delighted if England keep picking Trott! He may be the leading run scorer in ODIS in 2011 but to be honest he bats England out of the game and puts pressure on the guys around him, Pietersen despite the documented bad run of form, is in my view way more of a threat to us than Trott, because of the momentum he brings to an innings. Trott is a pretty selfish ODI batsman no doubt he will keep scoring runs and working his singles! But that alone will not set up a match winning score, so again if England want to keep playing him then that is great from our point of view too!
You did note when Trott failed in the first two matches, we couldn't even last 50 overs, whilst when he stayed in we got a competitive total? Yeah, KP and his average of 20 over a year, with no match-winning innings, is of course very dangerous, we just await that danger like like Hiroo Onoda.

Kohli_fan

Banned
You did note when Trott failed in the first two matches, we couldn't even last 50 overs, whilst when he stayed in we got a competitive total? Yeah, KP and his average of 20 over a year, with no match-winning innings, is of course very dangerous, we just await that danger like like Hiroo Onoda.
The game where he stayed in was ont he flattest deck we have seen this series! Yes he batted the overs but on a deck like that if you get in you need to push on! It was KP's knock and Patels's cameo that took England to near a par total, and although we lost a few wickets towards the end we were in control for much of our run chase.

Had Trott played a bit more for the team put his foot down and got you to 320 lets say he would have helped his team put more pressure on us.

KP has had a bad run but it is all about what the players bring to the table, in the last game alone KP by virture of the fashion and speed in which he scored his runs showed why he is far more of a threat to us than Trott regardless of their averages!

Kohli_fan

Banned
Just to refer to the earlier conversation, I was surprised Dhoni came out with those comments about how you should treat your team-mates, etc, England are clearly a proud bunch that have got used to winning and find it frustrating when they're not on top. All top sides do not like losing and so vent their frustrations, whether that is right or wrong, it certainly isn't anything to do with Dhoni how England are with each other. Strauss or Cook could have made certain comments on their body language throughout the summer when they had a look of a side disinterested and knowing they were unable to compete with the opposition, give me a bit of fight anyday!

That's not to say I approve of any in-fighting. Mistakes are made, that's cricket, there's nothing wrong with pushing each other to achieve the maximum performance, but let's not get sulky with each other.

As for sledging the Indians, that's part of cricket, get on with it, whether we're losing or not. If I was playing against Virat Kohli, I'd have given much more than what he received.

I think Dhoni was just making an observation and it was a fair one, even when we were in England when we lost matches all through we still stayed calm and didnt lose our rag at each other on the field!

Not sure why you have picked out Virat! But I am proud of him he gives back as could as he gets and If I was Virat Kohli, then I would have given back even more than what he did!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Had Trott played a bit more for the team put his foot down and got you to 320 lets say he would have helped his team put more pressure on us.
So rotating the strike to let Samit have as much of the strike and ending up 2 short of a ton wasn't playing for the team?

Perhaps he should've let down the tires on the Indian team bus at the hotel instead, would've helped the team...

grecian

The game where he stayed in was ont he flattest deck we have seen this series! Yes he batted the overs but on a deck like that if you get in you need to push on! It was KP's knock and Patels's cameo that took England to near a par total, and although we lost a few wickets towards the end we were in control for much of our run chase.

KP has had a bad run but it is all about what the players bring to the table, in the last game alone KP by virture of the fashion and speed in which he scored his runs showed why he is far more of a threat to us than Trott regardless of their averages!
We scored 9 an over for the last twelve I think, good for us. Fair from putting pressure on the other players he kept it off them by staying in. He was playing shots right throughout the last six overs, he just kept hitting fielders, don't see how he was selfish at all.

In the second match when we were bowld out, India won in the 37th over didn't they, I would say that was a better pitch, trott hit at about 92 there. Was brilliant wasn't it.

As for KP it's a tired argument, yes he could be a match-winner at any time, but he hasn't been for ages. TBH the last two innings have been decent, so I'd allow him to the end of the series, but his dismissals are baffling. People including the Sky Comms saying he was unlucky last match with the LB when he just missed a straight one

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
I think Dhoni was just making an observation and it was a fair one, even when we were in England when we lost matches all through we still stayed calm and didnt lose our rag at each other on the field!

Not sure why you have picked out Virat! But I am proud of him he gives back as could as he gets and If I was Virat Kohli, then I would have given back even more than what he did!
Strauss or Cook had ample opportunities to make observations of India's ample weaknesses in English conditions, yet opted to focus on their own side and the things that could improve on or keep doing to an excellent standard.

Yes, fine line between staying calm and looking like you haven't the passion or stomach for a fight. Not specifically Dhoni, but a few of the others were almost disinterested because the conditions were not like back home.

I've picked out Virat because I believe he prances around as though he's the best player in the world yet he has achieved nothing yet, he is an exceptionally talented and gifted batsman, but I feel he is content with making the odd outstanding century in limited overs cricket. Is he willing to battle and fight and work exceptionally hard to crack Test cricket ? At this moment, I'm not so sure.

Kohli_fan

Banned
So rotating the strike to let Samit have as much of the strike and ending up 2 short of a ton wasn't playing for the team?

Perhaps he should've let down the tires on the Indian team bus at the hotel instead, would've helped the team...
Obviously rotating the strike is essential but well as Patel played, you cannot expect a guy to work in in the last 10 overs and come off like he did everytime!

If you battle hard as Trott did then come the last 10 overs you should be able to open your shoulders play some shots, not just leave it to the lower order and be content with a not out to pad up your average.

I don't see what our team bus has to do with Trott's batting speed but there you go!

Kohli_fan

Banned
We scored 9 an over for the last twelve I think, good for us. Fair from putting pressure on the other players he kept it off them by staying in. He was playing shots right throughout the last six overs, he just kept hitting fielders, don't see how he was selfish at all.

In the second match when we were bowld out, India won in the 37th over didn't they, I would say that was a better pitch, trott hit at about 92 there. Was brilliant wasn't it.

As for KP it's a tired argument, yes he could be a match-winner at any time, but he hasn't been for ages. TBH the last two innings have been decent, so I'd allow him to the end of the series, but his dismissals are baffling. People including the Sky Comms saying he was unlucky last match with the LB when he just missed a straight one
Your first line underlines further why Trott would be a liability in a One Day side despite his weight of runs!

A large part of his runs in the middle overs were singles, and if when you have batted for the best part of 30 overs and have your eye in you are still struggling to find the gaps and shift gears then it shows that you are more of a one paced batsman which is fine for Test Cricket where Trott excels, but you are always going to struggle to adapt to the specific situation in a given ODI as we saw with Trott on Thursday.

grecian

Obviously rotating the strike is essential but well as Patel played, you cannot expect a guy to work in in the last 10 overs and come off like he did everytime!

If you battle hard as Trott did then come the last 10 overs you should be able to open your shoulders play some shots, not just leave it to the lower order and be content with a not out to pad up your average.

I don't see what our team bus has to do with Trott's batting speed but there you go!
He didn't do that though, he was playing a shot a ball they just weren't coming off.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Look guys, Kholi_Fan is right. Trott didn't hit a single six in his innings, therefore he's rubbish.

In Tests he takes all day to hit centuries, he's rubbish.

Kohli_fan

Banned
Strauss or Cook had ample opportunities to make observations of India's ample weaknesses in English conditions, yet opted to focus on their own side and the things that could improve on or keep doing to an excellent standard.

Yes, fine line between staying calm and looking like you haven't the passion or stomach for a fight. Not specifically Dhoni, but a few of the others were almost disinterested because the conditions were not like back home.

I've picked out Virat because I believe he prances around as though he's the best player in the world yet he has achieved nothing yet, he is an exceptionally talented and gifted batsman, but I feel he is content with making the odd outstanding century in limited overs cricket. Is he willing to battle and fight and work exceptionally hard to crack Test cricket ? At this moment, I'm not so sure.
To be fair England were outstanding in England and deserved their win but I am not too sure what they could have said about our behavious and Bresnan did have things to say anyway about our body language!

So if MSD is saying things which in all honesty are there for us all to see anyway, as in the England players having a bit of a go at each other! Then I don't see what he has done wrong it is not like he has said something that was not known or some big secret he revealed!

Virat has scored 7 ODI hundred at the age of 22 that is pretty good going! Sure he hasn't performed to his best in the Tests he has played so far but he is only 22 and only played 3 Test Matches it has not bene easy to break into our test side but i am confident once he gets his chance he will excel.

Not sure if you knew that early on in Virat's career his father died during one of his first FC games for Delhi he was the overnight not out batsman, he was in his teens, but he came back the next day and scored 90 odd not out won the game for Delhi, and went to his fathers funeral after!

I don't think you can ever accuse this man of not giving it 100% and getting the most out of his ability or for his team.