• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting has tough task at four: Hussey | The Australian

"Number four is a difficult place to bat," Hussey said.

"You might come in at 2-0, when the ball is moving around everywhere and the ball is still new, or you might come in at 2-200 and you have been sitting there for ages, the ball is older and softer. It's hard to score.

"It can be hard in subcontinental conditions because it can be reversing a bit or you can come in against spin.

"It is a pivotal position and a tough position. You have to adapt to the conditions of the game.

"I think it is one of the tougher places to bat in the batting order but I hope Ricky can do it some justice and make some big scores.

"He is batting magnificently. You talk about good form, he is playing very well and hopefully he can make that position his own over the next year or so."
"I had a good chat with Michael before the game and he decided that was best for the team that Shaun stay at three after his very good hundred in the first game, and he played very well again yesterday," Ponting said.

"As I stressed to Michael, I'm more than happy to do what he believes is right for the team, albeit with the situation yesterday I was in pretty early so it wasn't that different at all."

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm going to go against conventional theory here on the boards and say that I like having Punter at 4. The number 4 spot is the one place that we have had a lot of trouble with for the last few years. Hussey went through his form slump there, Clarke was dire in the position. In fact it has been a bad position to bat since Symonds went crazy. Martyn was the last batsman to really nail the position and even he got axed after one mediocre series (05 Ashes, where he was sawn off a number of times).

Having Ponting play there I think will at least give us some stability for a while in the middle order and will give him a chance to turn those pretty 40s into needed 100s.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
While the 36-year-old has found new life at the crease, Ponting, who is the same age, has found a second wind in the field.

The former captain is like a teenager in the covers.

His catching on this tour and general fielding have been a revelation.
interesting. has ponting been fielding brilliantly?

Cruxdude

International Debutant

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I didn't watch day 4 at all and there's only so much that the highlights package can reveal. I'd be thankful if you guys (who saw the action) can answer three questions of mine.

1) Was Wele the only one getting some reverse and did he look to be threatening enough?

2) Did Hughes actually play well (never mind the featherbed track) or was it a case of helping oneself and getting lucky every now and then?

3) Did the new seamer Eranga actually bowl as badly as his figures indicate? What was it - erratic stuff, a general lack of penetration or both?

Cheers, guys! :cheers:

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't watch day 4 at all and there's only so much that the highlights package can reveal. I'd be thankful if you guys (who saw the action) can answer three questions of mine.

1) Was Wele the only one getting some reverse and did he look to be threatening enough?
I think he was the only one getting reverse, yes. He and Herath were the only ones posing any consistent questions.

2) Did Hughes actually play well (never mind the featherbed track) or was it a case of helping oneself and getting lucky every now and then?
Nah, he played a really good knock. Classy knock.

3) Did the new seamer Eranga actually bowl as badly as his figures indicate? What was it - erratic stuff, a general lack of penetration or both?
Both.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
the thing is you are compared with your contemporaries so since jonty was miles ahead of his most people will rate him as the best regardless of how impressive Ponting looks in the field.
Rhodes was never the slipper Ponting is/ was.