• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You missed his half volleys and attempted bouncer to Matthews?
Have you been watching the game though? They've set a field consisting of two short covers, looking for the drive on the up from Matthews. Where else do you want him to bowl other than full and outside off?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have you people been watching the same test? Johnson has bowled just as well as Copeland. I know it's fashionable to hate on him, but he hasn't bowled poorly at all.
He has been ok, not the joke he was in his last couple of tests but not amazing. Guess you have to take the rough with the smooth with him. He really is a Jekyll and Hyde bowler but when he does get it right he wins games on his own and Australia don't have many others capable of doing that which is why they persevere with him.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
That innings from Herath has to be one of the worst I've seen in terms of supporting his team. The only wonder was that he didn't hole out sooner. Quite appalling. Whilst not generally advocating violence, I couldn't blame Matthews for dishing out some instant justice if he's left stranded in the 90's.
He's modelling his batting on Murali.

Not his bowling obviously.

Ruckus

International Captain
Hope Copeland isn't replaced by Siddle in the next match after this peformance. As has been said, his bowing this game has been neither here nor there but he is still very much an important stabilizing part of this attack.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Have you been watching the game though? They've set a field consisting of two short covers, looking for the drive on the up from Matthews. Where else do you want him to bowl other than full and outside off?
That's fine, they've had a short cover for Harris and Copeland as well. Doesn't mean he should be bowling genuine half volleys or half trackers. It's reflected in their economy rates. Johnson hasn't been terrible, but his looseness frustrates me.

Matthews lol.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Copeland's been fine. He's done his job. This attack is excellently balanced, why change it?
They look like they are going to win a match and it hasn't been with Johnson bowling miraculously. Be very odd to change the attack in those circumstances.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Okay, I was wrong about Matthews, I blame Herath.

Well done Watto, failed with the bat but has bowled really well.

As long as all our team is fit, we will surely keep the same XI for the next Test.

adub

International Captain
True that Johnson hasn't bowled with a great deal of consistency but then there is nothing new with that but in Copeland's case agreed he has kept it tight but when you play as a frontline bowler you need to contribute more in terms of wickets.

Edit: 5-fer for Harris well deserved..
It's about bowling partnerships. Harris/Copeland, and Johnson/Copeland are much more dangerous than Harris/Johnson because Copeland's tightness means the guy at the other end can attack more. Fair enough it has worked out ok this time, but it won't always and having Johnson leaking runs at the other end will reduce Harris' effectiveness.

I said before the Ashes that Harris was our No.1 quick and nothing I've seen since has given me the slightest reason to doubt that. I reckon if Copeland is used right they are going to form a fantastic partnership, and that could also improve Johnson's results. Harris is a fabulous player.

Sylvester

State Captain
Clarke seems to have a lot of confidence in Copeland, he's bowled him for long spells and given him the new ball. So hopefully that means no changes for the next test.

Spark

Global Moderator
And that's that.

Really good win, a lot to be pleased about. Good discipline and patience in the field. Batting could use work but there's good signs there too.