• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First step on a long road. least it was a forward one and not a backwards one. Need to complete the job by winning the series. Well played Australia. Worrying times for SL.

pup11

International Coach
It's one game on possibly the worst pitch for his style of bowling. Give him time.
It's his first match. And they've won it. I hope he gets some breathing space.

Of course winning matches didn't help McDonald who was a player who could do the same job.
No doubt he should be presisted with but he certainly would have to improve in the upcoming games and learn to adapt his bowling in different conditions.

adub

International Captain
Nobody is saying Copeland has been bad but its hard to see him holding his spot for a long time by just being a containing element of this bowling attack, of course nobody expects him to take a 5-fer every alternate innings in test cricket like he does in first-class cricket but still he needs to take some wickets to pull his weight in the side.
It wasn't a great pitch for him and Clarke didn't give him the really long spells he thrives on. He'll take plenty of wickets I've no doubt. Of course if he doesn't he'll lose his spot just like anyone else, but use him right and I don't think that it will end up being a problem.

pup11

International Coach
It wasn't a great pitch for him and Clarke didn't give him the really long spells he thrives on. He'll take plenty of wickets I've no doubt. Of course if he doesn't he'll lose his spot just like anyone else, but use him right and I don't think that it will end up being a problem.
The pitch surely didn't suit likes of Watto and Harris either but they found a way around that, they attacked the stumps,bowled cutters and kept mixing things up.

Copeland needs to learn a lot but still I would have expected to see him do a few basic things like run his fingers across the ball or bowl a bumper every now and then to push the batsman back, also I'm sure Clarke would have given him long spells had he looked threatening with the ball.

flibbertyjibber

The pitch surely didn't suit likes of Watto and Harris either but they found a way around that, they attacked the stumps,bowled cutters and kept mixing things up.

Copeland needs to learn a lot but still I would have expected to see him do a few basic things like run his fingers across the ball or bowl a bumper every now and then to push the batsman back, also I'm sure Clarke would have given him long spells had he looked threatening with the ball.
They are more experienced though, be interesting to see if Copeland learns quickly about what needs to be done at this level like somebody like Bresnan has done for England. Bresnan looked an ordinary swing bowler in his debut series, far more than that now.

Burgey

No doubt he should be presisted with but he certainly would have to improve in the upcoming games and learn to adapt his bowling in different conditions.
Copeland's biggest problem is people don't take him for what he is - an extremely accurate, tall medium pacer who bowls one bad ball a week.

Times have changed and everyone wants raw pace. In 81 and 89 Alderman took 40 wickets a series bowling meds.

He'll live or die by what he is. If he bowls well but the powers that be think "he's not quick enough" then nothing has changed in Australian cricket.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Well done Australia.

The acid test will be if they can keep playing well in the series. Have a feeling the Sri Lankans will come back up like last night's pizza in the second test. However, I think Sri Lanka is becoming dangerously over-reliant on Sanga and Mahela post-Murali.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ricky out of the second Test (flying home for the birth of his second child). Guessing Marsh will play, and my bet is everyone will move up a spot.

Grats to him both on the child and on the century of Test wins.

Last edited:

Spikey

Usman to three I reckon

also it's disappointing our cricketers are still not planning their *** lives around our test fixtures