• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, gets me every time that picture.

Loving this so far from Usman. Hopefully he brings up the ton and stamps out any talk of Marsh playing ahead of him. /jinx.

Ruckus

International Captain
Realistically? It'll be Marsh/random NSW player.

What I'd love to see... Lynn. He's massively exciting, the only disadvantage to him getting higher honours is that it would ruin QLD's chances of making any runs this season.
Heard good things about him, but haven't seen him play. What kind of style does he play in?

[/B]
Don't think many people were ever expecting anything else tbh. At the very least I was never expecting anything from him here and I def. recall others saying the same. will probably be decent in the summer though
I don't really know why tbh. Other than a general feeling of him being past it, he actually has played pretty well before in the subcontinent and is one of our better players of spin.

stephen

Heard good things about him, but haven't seen him play. What kind of style does he play in?
His strike rate isn't great (but it's not bad either). But what's really exciting is that he makes big scores once he gets in and he's making his runs in bowler-friendly seasons on bowler-friendly pitches.

Match saving knock at the WACA:
Queensland v Western Australia at Brisbane, Dec 10-13, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Match winning knock at the Gabba:
Queensland v Victoria at Brisbane, Mar 10-12, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the way SL performed in England you should. They have a popgun attack so you should score heavily and scoreboard pressure does funny things to good batsman.
only twice did india bat without scoreboard pressure- 1st innings at TB and Edgbaston.

Definately think Copeland is superior to Siddle, but that being said I still think Siddle is a pretty decent bowler (been criticised pretty harshly of late). A pace attack of Johnson, Harris, Copeland and Bollinger could be quite brutal.
In form these guys can match any attack in the world. Perth test is a fine example.

so much firepower.

True. Maybe that is because our attack is better than some are giving them credit for but the way that India and Australia's strong batting was dispatched so often so easily makes you think what would happen to a weaker line up.
I think thats happening because they don't appear to have that 'something special' about them. What they have done is planned, prepared, and executed exceptionally well.
With the help of simulation systems and maths, they worked out areas to bowl to each batsmen where they were least comfortable and just relentlessly bowled there without conceding many runs (kept the pressure on) which forced the batsmen into making mistakes. for guys like tendulkar they studied them inside out; knew excatly what they would do in the situations they were in.

only a guy like dravid who has infinite amount of patience could've coped with this sort of strategy.

I think the English have learnt a lot from the way McGrath bowled.

plus the fact the broad hit exceptional form helped too. (tremlett in australia)

adub

International Captain
Hussey nicking early apparently...not the greatest of signs. Have a bad feeling Hussey's purple patch in the Ashes might have been a one off.

Question is, if Hussey continues to perform as woefully as he was before the Ashes, who do people think should be his replacement? Assuming Khawaja is the side, where do we go next (assuming Katman is finished)?
Agree with the calls for Lynn. Looks like a genuine quality bat. If Warner has a good summer I could see an argument to put him in and maybe shift Watson down a spot or two.

But my fingers would be crossed for Smith or Maxwell to come through as an attacking quality No.6 with credible spin as a bonus.

andyc

Usman brings up the ton and retires. Assuming the word to retire has come from Clarke, surely that means he's a lock for the first Test?

adub

International Captain
Well done Uzi. Sounds like you were only going to get one shot at proving you deserved to hold your spot, and you didn't disappoint.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well done Khawaja 101 retired out, job done, fairly sure he's in the first Test.

Spikey was saying yesterday that Khawaja drew the short straw having to open, not the case now.

BTW, Chris Lynn definitely needs another full season or at least a massive start to the season before he should realistically be talked about for Australian honours

adub

International Captain
Usman brings up the ton and retires. Assuming the word to retire has come from Clarke, surely that means he's a lock for the first Test?
Can you imagine the bollocking Clarke, Nielsen and Chappell would get following Argus if they pass up on Copeland and Uzi? Forget it. The two guys with the stand out First Class records have come into this game and excelled. They are in the test side.

adub

International Captain
Can you imagine the bollocking Clarke, Nielsen and Chappell would get following Argus if they pass up on Copeland and Uzi? Forget it. The two guys with the stand out First Class records have come into this game and excelled. They are in the test side.

I wonder if Marsh is wishing he'd begged for the chance to open with Hughes?

Ruckus

International Captain
Find it a bit hard to believe the selection of Marsh/Khawaja is going to be soley based on the performance in this match? If that is the case (which is a bit ridiculous imo), then what are they going to do if Marsh now manages to score runs?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
btw just quietly don't like Usman retiring. With our massive tail + Haddin @ 6 it's not as if we're certain to make 350-400 from here...

Sylvester

State Captain
Find it a bit hard to believe the selection of Marsh/Khawaja is going to be soley based on the performance in this match? If that is the case (which is a bit ridiculous imo), then what are they going to do if Marsh now manages to score runs?
If Marsh is picked then it would basically be off his ODI knock. Khawaja is the incumbent so not hard to see why he would be picked.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
I note Khawaja's retired innings is counted as out on cricinfo scorecard and his career average also reflects that.

Is this right or should he be a not out?

adub

International Captain
Well it's not a problem we need to worry about is it?

adub

International Captain
btw just quietly don't like Usman retiring. With our massive tail + Haddin @ 6 it's not as if we're certain to make 350-400 from here...
With Marsh proving his quality there is no need to bat any longer than Clarke and Haddin feel is enough of a centre hit. We need to get back bowling and give Lyon and Beer a chance to make their cases. Every other selection dilemma has been resolved.