• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's the deal with Copeland? I see he's 25 but it seems he's only really been around for a season and a bit... was it injuries that kept him out?
Nah he just developed a bit later than most; he was actually a wicket keeper until fairly recently. He's not someone who was identified as a talent and coddled through as a youngster; he's earnt every spot in every team he's ever made on the sheer weight of performance.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah he just developed a bit later than most; he was actually a wicket keeper until fairly recently. He's not someone who was identified as a talent and coddled through as a youngster; he's earnt every spot in every team he's ever made on the sheer weight of performance.
Which is exactly what makes him so popular around these parts.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh what i don't get a quote? you big jerk. gonna dig out that post where in the aftermath of the ashes you say siddle is undroppable for the sl tour now

Spikey

'Can't wait for the 5 or whatever months of speculation that gets me excited about the future, and then seeing Hilf opening with the new ball first test in Sri Lanka leaving me suicidal '

Boy am I pleased this didn't happen. Still taking the new ball in Zimbabwe got me pretty mad

ftr i am excited about the future

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/49093-australia-aftermath-ashes-10.html (post #149)

anyone dropping Siddle can GAGF. He wasn't in my first choice before the Ashes but he's one of the few to come out of the series with any credit for us; stick with him.

heh, what an idiot

yeah i play hard babeh

(that's a fun thread to re-read the first few pages of btw)
Stand by it tbh; he was Australia's best bowler throughout the Ashes. That said, his performances in Zimbabwe and here have discredited him, Harris now appears to be fit which I didn't think would have happened yet and Copeland's still being Copeland so I'm a bit more open to him not playing now. He should certainly be in the squad though.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha wow that's a depressing thread (but a high quality one). Particularly this from me:

Our next goal as a test side, simply put, is to not get flogged in SL in August. That should be it.
I hope we're aiming higher than that now.

Spikey

yeah upon looking through some of my posts at one stage i say Johnson should go and Siddle stays. It's kinda funny, when the A team got picked I was bummed because it seemed useless picking Siddle considering he was a certain starter, and it's actually gone the other way. Guess I should give them some credit?

flibbertyjibber

Haha wow that's a depressing thread (but a high quality one). Particularly this from me:

I hope we're aiming higher than that now.
Well the way SL performed in England you should. They have a popgun attack so you should score heavily and scoreboard pressure does funny things to good batsman.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well the way SL performed in England you should. They have a popgun attack so you should score heavily and scoreboard pressure does funny things to good batsman.
India vs. England also some mild encouragement - as Uppercut said elsewhere, they currently have a knack of making some decent teams (and let's face it India is one) look much worse than they actually are.

Ruckus

International Captain
Definately think Copeland is superior to Siddle, but that being said I still think Siddle is a pretty decent bowler (been criticised pretty harshly of late). A pace attack of Johnson, Harris, Copeland and Bollinger could be quite brutal.

Spikey

India vs. England also some mild encouragement - as Uppercut said elsewhere, they currently have a knack of making some decent teams (and let's face it India is one) look much worse than they actually are.
I just don't understand what it is about England that makes the other team's selectors literally lose their minds

flibbertyjibber

True. Maybe that is because our attack is better than some are giving them credit for but the way that India and Australia's strong batting was dispatched so often so easily makes you think what would happen to a weaker line up.

Think Clarke will have a good series here as long as he has a clear head against the spinners. Seemed to lose his way against Swann and was unsure whether to stick or twist. He goes back to basics and there are oodles of runs available against their attack.

All eyes on Ponting, is he in decline or did he just get seen to by a good side? Also i'd think hughes will score heavily as they have nobody to exploit his obvious shortball weakness like England did.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just don't understand what it is about England that makes the other team's selectors literally lose their minds
Really don't think India's selectors did anything particularly odd other than recalling RP Singh, and it was 3-0 by then anyway.

Spark

Global Moderator
True. Maybe that is because our attack is better than some are giving them credit for but the way that India and Australia's strong batting was dispatched so often so easily makes you think what would happen to a weaker line up.

Think Clarke will have a good series here as long as he has a clear head against the spinners. Seemed to lose his way against Swann and was unsure whether to stick or twist. He goes back to basics and there are oodles of runs available against their attack.

All eyes on Ponting, is he in decline or did he just get seen to by a good side? Also i'd think hughes will score heavily as they have nobody to exploit his obvious shortball weakness like England did.
Nah aside from that innings of pure pain at Melbourne, he did fine against Swann - relatively. The only bowler he looked genuinely comfortable against, tbh. A mixture of an injury at the worst possible time, and then the Broad push back/Anderson outswinger (replaced by Tremlett later) just completely ruined his footwork.