• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Trent Bridge

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Too much limited overs cricket ruined him . He started bowling cutters rather than look to swing it.
Fair points. There were other factors that stalled his growth too. A lot of them beyond a player's control!

My basic point is as under, gentlemen:

As a great Trinidadian once said and I quote, "class is permanent and form is temporary". Not everyday do you get guys who can genuinely swing the ball late and keep it accurate at lively pace. It's an asset that must be properly cherished and such a player nurtured.

It's common knowledge that nurturing a fast/swing bowler is not a skill that BCCI is inherently blessed with. As a result, performances deteriorate and people lose form drastically. So much so that many have gone completely off the radar. If a player has potential, his team-role must be identified.

And he must be groomed in that direction. I am very much in favour of grooming players for specific roles. A kind of an orientation program, if you will. IMHO, a swing bowling all-rounder has a definitive role in the team. In the nation of over a billion, this man seems to be the best incumbent for the job. And let there be enough pressure on him so that if he doesn't perform, he knows that he is tightening the noose on himself!

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
in a nation of 1 billion fast bowlers have been hard to come by so I am not sure that 1 billion figure means anything tbh

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They would struggle to get in a replacement from another part of London in a hour and a bit.
IMO, Yes they would.

It's not like every batsman in London would be all and up and ready to go with cricket gear and all in the morning of the match.

Secondly from Northwest London(Say Uxbridge) to Lords would take about 40 to 50 minutes even with the Underground transit iirc.
In any case it's not like he would be in ideal condition to bat straightaway.
Getting across London can take a while. Players aren't generally called up as last minute replacements and told to make their way via tube, mind you.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Getting across London can take a while. Players aren't generally called up as last minute replacements and told to make their way via tube, mind you.
They would probably take equal amount of time in whatever transport they take too.

In any case my contention was would be hard to get a player in a hour and a bit which was disputed.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, what are the rules though? Pretty sure we could name someone else, have Trott open and have the other guy bat lower down the order. Think we were going to try and do a similar thing when we had Tim Ambrose on standby for the 4th Ashes Test a couple of years back (Test was abandoned without a ball bowled in the end, FTR).

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone explain the relevance of the Tube to a late call up for a game in Nottingham please?
Was talking about London and Lords here in case you hadn't noticed in a hypothetical example, not specifically about Nottingham.
Besides it is not as if Whoever England want to call up would be in Nottingham at the morning of the match.

I think it is Indian fans clutching at a very big straw hoping things go wrong for England.:laugh:
Some English fan was going on about how picking a 12 man squad was a something like a monumental achievement, so was pointing out a possible problem with it that could arise with it as it did for India too previously. Yeah, obvious clutching at straws.:huh:

Don't know what is to dispute here tbh. Was just a point of discussion. And people criticise Bun...

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, what are the rules though? Pretty sure we could name someone else, have Trott open and have the other guy bat lower down the order. Think we were going to try and do a similar thing when we had Tim Ambrose on standby for the 4th Ashes Test a couple of years back (Test was abandoned without a ball bowled in the end, FTR).
Not sure what the rules are but i am guessing you can't have a substitute fielder from the start of the match.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was talking about London and Lords here in case you hadn't noticed in a hypothetical example, not specifically about Nottingham.
Besides it is not as if Whoever England want to call up would be in Nottingham at the morning of the match.

Some English fan was going on about how picking a 12 man squad was a something like a monumental achievement, so was pointing out a possible problem with it that could arise with it as it did for India too previously. Yeah, obvious clutching at straws.:huh:

Don't know what is to dispute here tbh. And people criticise Bun...
Well seeing as England is a small country in comparison to India and most people would be able to get to Nottingham in 90 minutes to 2 hours from any other ground in the country bar Canterbury and they don't have a match then it is a point not even worth bothering with.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
One thing, if Zaheer does play and breaks down again I guess England will be within their rights to tell India they can't have a sub fielder for him or a runner when he bats as he went into the game carrying the injury. Be a ****storm of major proportions if that happened.
Runner, yes. Sub-fielder, I'd doubt.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
@ FlibbertyJibberer Was talkling about a injury in the morning of any match generally ftr, not just Nottingham.
Besides it would take about 1.45 to 2 hours to go to nottingham from London and that is discounting the inter London travel or travel inside Nottingham.
And that is presuming the player is absolutely ready with cricket gear and all to leave straight away on the morning and then immediately ready to play.

Don't know why people are trying to argue specifics here. It can certainly be a problem, and has been for India before who also could have called up a player from Mumbai to Nagpur going by this logic.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No reason why you can't.
Can't think of any incident where it has happened before.
Interesting that it could though, as it then gives teams chance to keep players recovering from a minor injury or a viral/fever etc.. in the team too from the start.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't think of any incident where it has happened before.
Interesting that it could though, as it then gives teams chance to keep players recovering from a minor injury or a viral/fever etc.. in the team too from the start.
At that game at Headingley, if we couldn't play Prior and lost the toss, we were gonna start with Colly keeping until Ambrose arrived

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Assuming they needed someone ASAP, surely they'd get someone close by?
They may well have someone on standby at the end of a phone line, anyhow. If I was running the team I'd have the eventuality at least considered, and I'm sure Flower doesn't leave anything to chance!