• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was seriously furious at 5pm at the fact I was about to start work and our bowling and even more anoying our fielding being so utterly ****. Went to have lunch at about 2.30 with all looking good, returned to the pub at about 4 and good god.

On refelection though cannot hold a grudge at what was an incredible game and a brilliant one for the tournament.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Would love to say I watched it but I left work as KP got out. Awesome for Ireland, just a shame they blew it against the Bangla Boys as they would now only be 2 victories away from the quarter finals. Is that right?

England's bowling looks very iffy, very samey and Swann aside, void of a genuine wicket taker. Anderson's best suit use to be OD cricket, well statistically anyway but the average is now comfortably above 30, the economy locked above 5 and the bowling average in Asia now over 44 in 30 ODIs. Since 2008 Jimmeh has played 7 ODIs in Asia and taken just 2 wickets.

Also, congrats to Trott, joint quickest to 1000 ODI runs with Sir Viv and KP.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
But of course, they are the only ones who have done so in the entire cricketing world.... 8-)
TBF no team comes that close, even Australia who England were playing, played 3 first class game and a one day game less, but more than that, it's the amount of time they were away from home , that's even before the time that they will spend at the WC. The India v SA series was what, about 5 weeks in total and that's about the maximum duration for most tours.Like I said before, it shouldn't be a excuse and I'm sure they won't be looking for one but you can see the reason why their standards, especially have dropped.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF no team comes that close, even Australia who England were playing, played 3 first class game and a one day game less, but more than that, it's the amount of time they were away from home , that's even before the time that they will spend at the WC. The India v SA series was what, about 5 weeks in total and that's about the maximum duration for most tours.Like I said before, it shouldn't be a excuse and I'm sure they won't be looking for one but you can see the reason why their standards, especially have dropped.
I think your point is well made, tbh. But having said that, the self-same length of tour that's causing this flatness (if indeed it is to some extent) is the very thing that helped England play so well in the Ashes.

And let's be honest, while the WC is the only ODI tourney that really counts, the Ashes are far more important from a cricketing standpoint for England and Australian cricket supporters.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But of course, they are the only ones who have done so in the entire cricketing world.... 8-)
I think that's a harsh reply. Marcuss was just stating a fact, that they toured long.

I think players that complain about tours are whingers and should stfu considering how much they are paid and the lifestyle they get to lead, but it is a fact that players get jaded. I have no doubt that the Indian team by the end of the 2003/04 tour didn't want to be in Australia anymore as they had been away for ages. They looked shot in the finals of the ODI series.

It's not too farfetched to think England would be going through the same thing. It doesn't excuse losing to Ireland defending 328 and having them 5/111. But it can explain their loss of intensity in recent times, most evident through their fielding.

The players aren't robots after all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that's a harsh reply. Marcuss was just stating a fact, that they toured long.

I think players that complain about tours are whingers and should stfu considering how much they are paid and the lifestyle they get to lead, but it is a fact that players get jaded. I have no doubt that the Indian team by the end of the 2003/04 tour didn't want to be in Australia anymore as they had been away for ages. They looked shot in the finals of the ODI series.

It's not too farfetched to think England would be going through the same thing. It doesn't excuse losing to Ireland defending 328 and having them 5/111. But it can explain their loss of intensity in recent times, most evident through their fielding.

The players aren't robots after all.
Australia toured India AND hosted SL an odi/t20 series BEFORE the Ashes even started

That's an infinitely tougher schedule than Eng (also goes some way to explaining why several of our potential squad e.g. Harris, Bollinger, Hauritz, Hussey, etc are sitting at home with injuries)

The "tiredness" excuse is just that, an excuse

No-one would be mentioning it if they had been winning

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry but there is no way Australia's schedule was tougher than England's. Our players went straight from ODIs V Pak into a training camp and then over to Australia. They went straight from the T20 WC into the home season. Before the T20 they were in Bangladesh, the UAE before that, Saffa before that, Saffa for the CT before that, home 09 season before that including a T20 WC and an Ashes series...

Get the picture?

vcs

England do not seem to give their backup players enough game time in bilateral ODI series like India and Australia tend to do. Both India and Australia have pretty strong squads at the moment for that reason. I know England played a largely 2nd string attack recently in the ODI series in Australia, but wasn't that down mostly to injuries?

India also have been playing a lot of cricket in recent times, including some forgotten ODI series like the one in Zimbabwe, but the difference is, there was hardly a first team player present in some of those series.

vcs

India's schedule since early 2010 :

Tri-series in Bangladesh
2 Tests in Bangladesh
2 Tests against SA
3 ODIs against SA
IPL
T20 WC
ODI tri-series in Zimbabwe
Asia Cup
3 Tests in SL
ODI Tri-series against SL and NZ
2 Tests against Australia
ODI against Australia
3 Tests against NZ
5 ODIs against NZ
3 Tests in SA
5 ODIs in SA

biased indian

International Coach
will like to see how many players part of the current England team will play IPL its start with in a week after world cup

Edit: don't think there are that many English players in IPL but still KP,Board are there rt ?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Didn't England have a break of more than one month before the Ashes?
Every time you try and correct me on something, your point has already been covered in my post. I clearly said that they went straight from the Pak ODIs to a training camp and then flew to Australia. Why don't you read my posts properly before you respond to them because I'm tired of repeating myself just because your comprehension skills are questionable.

Vcs, india's schedule is gruelling too but I did only state ours was more difficult than Australia's.

I will add that some of them play IPL too so it's their own doing as much, though you could argue thhat playing a few T20s for a tidy sum is reasonable enough when the alternative are four-day county games. Dunno.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
I don't know if it's the amount of games that's caused their drop off, imo it's the amount of time on the road and the fact it was a Ashes tour down under, which brings it's own kind of pressure.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Every time you try and correct me on something, your point has already been covered in my post. I clearly said that they went straight from the Pak ODIs to a training camp and then flew to Australia. Why don't you read my posts properly before you respond to them because I'm tired of repeating myself just because your comprehension skills are questionable.

Vcs, india's schedule is gruelling too but I did only state ours was more difficult than Australia's.

I will add that some of them play IPL too so it's their own doing as much, though you could argue thhat playing a few T20s for a tidy sum is reasonable enough when the alternative are four-day county games. Dunno.
They had a break after the training camp ,though?