• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jacknife

International Captain
Not really coz they don't seem that jaded when batting.. :p

If they were poor all along, I can kinda see a semblance of a point there but sorry, this doesn't wash.

India in 2003 sucked towards the end with the bat too... not juz while fielding and bowling. I just think England were done in because of a great batting performance and them really juz taking the foot off the pedal after that 25 over period and the wicket definitely comes on easier in the night, I guess and folks like KOB are able to line up the bowlers...

Funny how England didn't look jaded when Swanneh was ripping them about...

I don't mean to be harsh, Jono but that was a piss poor excuse.. It is a fact that they have been on the road for long. It is NOT a fact that it was causing their poor performance.
Eh? England dropped what 3 catches of Swanny, so how did they not? It's not really the bowling that I have a problem with,you can just bowl badly, it's the standard of fielding, I hate making excuses up, or even seeing them , but when your team or any team are making mistakes, like they have never really done as a team, there has to be a reason. Some of the dropped catches were school boy, not just one or two but it's gone on for 3 matches, they've gone from being one of the best fielding sides, to being the worst in one fell swoop and you suddenly don't forget how to catch, but you make mistakes when your not at the top of your game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There'd be some posters defending the position. Some posters saying it doesn't matter and the team should be performing better anyway. There'd be some posters arguing about who has the toughest schedule and lastly the odd person saying "You wouldn't be accept that excuse if it was MY team."

In other words it wouldn't be a shred different.
which was my point, and that the very posters who say this about England would jump on me for saying the same about India.. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Eh? England dropped what 3 catches of Swanny, so how did they not? It's not really the bowling that I have a problem with,you can just bowl badly, it's the standard of fielding, I hate making excuses up, or even seeing them , but when your team or any team are making mistakes, like they have never really done as a team, there has to be a reason. Some of the dropped catches were school boy, not just one or two but it's gone on for 3 matches, they've gone from being one of the best fielding sides, to being the worst in one fell swoop and you suddenly don't forget how to catch, but you make mistakes when your not at the top of your game.
Fielding going down could be due to anything, including the fact that they may well have been taking the Irish light... As I said, I juz don't buy this theory that a team is jaded in one department but doing well in the others... If you are jaded, your levels go down in all aspects, not juz one...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No, that monkey does not have 7 arms!

- See I can respond to things you haven't said too....

Yeah, you didn't say that England are jaded as they have been on the road for a long time after they lost at all... Those 4 or 5 posters who responded juz made that up.

Marcuss said:
Don't want to make excuses but some of these players have been travelling and playing cricket non-stop since October/early November. It's quite conceivable that they might just have had enough.

I can respond with irrelevant pics as a cop out too..

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Fielding going down could be due to anything, including the fact that they may well have been taking the Irish light... As I said, I juz don't buy this theory that a team is jaded in one department but doing well in the others... If you are jaded, your levels go down in all aspects, not juz one...
I suppose all the dropped catches against India was down to taking them lightly as well?8-)
They have dropped off in fielding and Bowling that's 2 out of 3, I don't know what it's down to, only looking for reasons why a team that has had such high standards, especially in fielding, should suddenly slip, in all the matches they've played in the WC, whether you buy whatever theory is neither here nor there, where just discussing them, I thought that's what cricket forums are for.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
which was my point, and that the very posters who say this about England would jump on me for saying the same about India.. :)
That's about as fair as one of them saying you'd be the first one to use a heavy schedule as an excuse for a poor performance from India. Not very fair in other words.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Says who? I've been jaded in work and still done some things well but given others less focus. I've seen tired football teams continue to defend well but forget how to pass. It'd ridiculous to suggest a tired team muist automatically drop in all aspects of performance.

It's not an excuse, anyway, because I think they should be beating Ireland and India regardless. But it is a reasonable explanation for the dropped catches given the way we fielded for two years before. And why do you think Anderson is bowling such turd? Because je feels like it?

Migara

International Coach
I feel for England and specially Anderson. England are playing most of their on the ****tiest flat pitches of the tournement. English bowlers will be different beasts if the come down to SL or BAN for a QF or SF. Ball will swing and batsmen won't be able to close their eyes and drive through the line on these pitches.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Says who? I've been jaded in work and still done some things well but given others less focus. I've seen tired football teams continue to defend well but forget how to pass. It'd ridiculous to suggest a tired team muist automatically drop in all aspects of performance.

It's not an excuse, anyway, because I think they should be beating Ireland and India regardless. But it is a reasonable explanation for the dropped catches given the way we fielded for two years before. And why do you think Anderson is bowling such turd? Because je feels like it?
You'd think a World Cup would produce enough adrenalin to make it a bit of a non-issue though. I can understand the players being tired during the one day series in Australia for example but I just can't imagine any players thinking "oh god, I've got a World Cup game tomorrow but I'm really over it; can't wait for this to end".

I'd put it down to a few things. Cyclical form (all players have little peaks and troughs; it happens), the conditions (England's bowling IMO has been generally quite similar to their one day bowler in the last year or so; it's just not as effective here), increased pressure (fielding usually takes a bit of a hit in intense, high-pressure circumstances) and some players just being a tiny bit over-rated in the format (Jimmy Anderson has been a crap ODI bowler for quite some time; it coincided with his rise as a Test bowler actually, with the odd place-saving performance).

I don't think player fatigue is playing any part here, personally.

Teja.

Global Moderator
I personally don't like people letting of Anderson easily. Whatever the external circumstances around him maybe, He was complete **** in Indian conditions before and it's a huge leap of faith to assume he'd tear up stuff this time if not for externalities. He's just usually not a very good LO bowler when there's not much movement or bounce in the pitch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You'd think a World Cup would produce enough adrenalin to make it a bit of a non-issue though. I can understand the players being tired during the one day series in Australia for example but I just can't imagine any players thinking "oh god, I've got a World Cup game tomorrow but I'm really over it; can't wait for this to end".

I'd put it down to a few things. Cyclical form (all players have little peaks and troughs; it happens), the conditions (England's bowling IMO has been generally quite similar to their one day bowler in the last year or so; it's just not as effective here), increased pressure (fielding usually takes a bit of a hit in intense, high-pressure circumstances) and some players just being a tiny bit over-rated in the format (Jimmy Anderson has been a crap ODI bowler for quite some time; it coincided with his rise as a Test bowler actually, with the odd place-saving performance).

I don't think player fatigue is playing any part here, personally.
And we have exhibit A for how to make a reasonable argument

Whatever you think of Anderson though, there is no way he's as bad as he's been so far. When I went back to work after having my kids I found it hard for a while and that was just doing an 8-5 shift. I imagine it was leaving the second time that hit him as he's not been the same since.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I feel for England and specially Anderson. England are playing most of their on the ****tiest flat pitches of the tournement. English bowlers will be different beasts if the come down to SL or BAN for a QF or SF. Ball will swing and batsmen won't be able to close their eyes and drive through the line on these pitches.
The curious thing is that anderson genuinely has swung the new ball, it's how he got three chances in an over out of Sehwag. He's been losing the plot at the death. The pitches have made some good balls look innocuous, but they don't excuse all the terrible full tosses.

The worst thing by miles is the fielding. Say what you like about that innings from O' Brien, (and I have, it was un-be-****-ing-lievable) but Ireland never would have got close if England had held their catches.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, you didn't say that England are jaded as they have been on the road for a long time after they lost at all... Those 4 or 5 posters who responded juz made that up
I can respond with irrelevant pics as a cop out too..
In that post I did not say "England are jaded because they've been touring for ages".
Come back when you have a basic level of comprehension.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose all the dropped catches against India was down to taking them lightly as well?8-)
They have dropped off in fielding and Bowling that's 2 out of 3, I don't know what it's down to, only looking for reasons why a team that has had such high standards, especially in fielding, should suddenly slip, in all the matches they've played in the WC, whether you buy whatever theory is neither here nor there, where just discussing them, I thought that's what cricket forums are for.
Do you mean Netherlands? I don't remember too many blatant dropped chances against India..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
increased pressure (fielding usually takes a bit of a hit in intense, high-pressure circumstances)
Most of England's poor fielding came when there was no pressure in the match at all. In fact even their bad bowling up front, particularly Broad, came when everyone figured the match was done.

Same with their fielding vs. Netherlands. About as little pressure as you could possibly get.

Jacknife

International Captain
The curious thing is that anderson genuinely has swung the new ball, it's how he got three chances in an over out of Sehwag. He's been losing the plot at the death. The pitches have made some good balls look innocuous, but they don't excuse all the terrible full tosses.

The worst thing by miles is the fielding. Say what you like about that innings from O' Brien, (and I have, it was un-be-****-ing-lievable) but Ireland never would have got close if England had held their catches.
That's the thing, the fielding brought both game a lot closer than they should of, I don't know what effect of these dropped catches are having on the bowlers because they must feel like they're having to get the batsmen out twice. In the games, the bowlers have started alright and got wickets quickly and were looking at early finishes, then the catches start going down and the rot sets in, that seems to effect their whole fielding /bowling performance.