• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Australia (2 T20 & 7 ODIs)

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
was at the game last night- very good performance from Australia. Was impressed with White's captaincy. I was sitting right behind the feilder who caught morgan- just as johnson was running in, you could see White point to the fielder to run to his righ- and what do you know- morgan hits it 30m to his right- he wouldn't have caught it without White's instruction- brilliant captaincy and understanding of the game.

Really dont see a place for smith, even in the T20s. He is a LEG SPINNING WORK IN PROGRESS, you wouldn't back him to not go for 15 runs in an over, and his batting is worthy of a number 8. Just a waste of a position really, until he starts warranting selection for either batting or bowling alone.

Good to see some exuberance in the field too. Wish White took over in ODIs as well- just great, calm, thoughtful and proactive captaincy.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Woakes can bat by anyone's standards. Knighty said he's Warks' best young bat since Ian Bell, but then, a lot of what Knighty says should be taken with a pinch* of salt.
To be fair he might well be right there, struggling to remember a batsman come in since Bell who scored any runs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Indeed. Neither of them actually make my first XI for the WC but as backup players, they're very very good. One opener, both can play in the middle orders in a variety of roles.

But no, we don't want them because we need eight ****ing bowling options in every match. I mean, really.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
this.
it wasn't a test match that was already lost, no time to give pookickers like smith 'a go'
Say what you will about his bowling in Test matches, but Smith's a proven wicket taker in T20s. Finished his first Big Bash season as highest wicket taker IIRC.

Also, will be livid if that article is true. With Watson and probably Smith in your team alongside the bowlers, you don't need any other options.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Did well in the WC too. I'm not a fan of carrying Test results into ODIs or v.v. but to do it with T20s is just silly.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Smith's brand of bowling just didn't happen to be required at any stage. Maybe could have bowled instead of Tait or Lee when they were getting smashed but it would've been a properly brave call.

Spark

Global Moderator
I reckon he could've bowled him at about the 8th/9th over instead of Duss and bowled Duss much earlier in the innings. I can understand why he didn't, but if you need wickets fast he's not a bad option.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Just on Aussie spinners, I wonder if Aaron O'Briens name gets talked about at all? He's very Michael Yardy-esque, not really a typical Aussie selection though.

Uppercut

I reckon he could've bowled him at about the 8th/9th over instead of Duss and bowled Duss much earlier in the innings. I can understand why he didn't, but if you need wickets fast he's not a bad option.
Mmm, he's not, but with Watto and Johnson in the side and the pitch not really favouring spin you'd be holding back better wicket-taking options for first and second change.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the pitch was though. Swann got a few to turn very sharply and it certainly was on the slower side.

Also there is the fact that the MCG really isn't the place to try and hit every ball for six.

EDIT: Can anyone tell me why Hauritz was picked in the 14-man squad if "he was never going to play anyway"? FFS. Seriously.

Uppercut

Probably right, I didn't watch the first innings :p

In any case, it's not like we were all sitting thinking "wtf, why not Smith instead of this hack" at any stage.

Spark

Global Moderator
Oh yeah of course not. I'm just surprised Smith wasn't bowled at any stage. I suppose wickets weren't really the be-all-and-end-all though in the second match though.

I do feel White missed a trick by having seven of the first eight overs bowled by quicks though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Probably right, I didn't watch the first innings :p

In any case, it's not like we were all sitting thinking "wtf, why not Smith instead of this hack" at any stage.
Would have bowled him ahead of Hussey, although Hussey's T20 economy rate was suprising. Such a nothing bowler.