• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

TumTum

Banned
So do you 'rest' him from the SL tour beforehand? He's going to be pummelled over there, I cant see him being 1% successful. Horses.....
I would keep the same bowling attack, give Copeland a go in a tour match (if there are any) and replace him with either Siddle or Hilfenhaus if he performs.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I cant imagine ANY aussie cricket fan voting to keep Hilditch in the job. If players dont perform its mostly the players fault, but no sane person could have seriously expected Doherty to run through the Poms. Bollinger's non selection and Hilfy's continued selection were stuff ups. Clarke at #4 has been a rank failure.

howardj

International Coach
The way Bollinger was managed was quite laughable to be honest. I don't necessarily rate the guy, but it was clear coming into the summer that he was going to be on the frontline. So...

- they order him to play Champions League instead of a FC tour game in India leading into the 1st Test
- as a result, he breaks down in the Test, virtually costing us victory
- goes back to Australia and, despite being fit, is ordered to rest from the NSW Shield game before the 1st Test
- Then made 12th man for the Gabba test due to lack of match fitness
- Ordered to Perth to play NSW Shield game, and then yanked out of that game after one innings to play Adelaide Test
- Underdone in Adelaid, and 'hits the wall'
- Don't see him again until his home Test in Sydney in which he is made 12th man to Hilfenhaus who going into that Test was averaging 80 for the series.

Spark

Global Moderator
It is quite extroardinary that someone who had been our best wicket taker the previous season and whose stats in tests have been exemplary would find himself behind someone who had taken four wickets in three tests.

pup11

International Coach
I would like to see us go back to the tried and tested formula of blooding a young player in the shorter formats, and assess him as a player before giving him the baggy green.
I think straight away pushing all these rooks into the test arena hasn't been a good idea at all, when as young player you play a few ODI'S and T20's and perform, it helps your confidence go up and that's probably the right time to introduce him into the test side.

Ruckus

International Captain
Someone has a massive bias for Hilfenhaus, that's the only explanation. Johnson is the bowling 'leader' and Siddle bowled well the previous match so it would have been hard to drop them. But the retention of Hilf was pure favouritism.

Spark

Global Moderator
I would like to see us go back to the tried and tested formula of blooding a young player in the shorter formats, and assess him as a player before giving him the baggy green.
I think straight away pushing all these rooks into the test arena hasn't been a good idea at all, when as young player you play a few ODI'S and T20's and perform, it helps your confidence go up and that's probably the right time to introduce him into the test side.
I would like us go back to the even more tried and tested formula of only picking players who A. are in form and B. have FC numbers that actually indicate test-quality.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I must say I did back Hughes to get a ton in one of the 3 tests, thought he might step up. But none of the younger players stepped up at all, maybe Siddle. Hussey and Watson and Haddin you would back to do something in the series given their experience. Picking Usman was a sound move, picking Doherty and Beer was flat out stupid. Clarke and Punter obviously hurt us badly, Katich out injured hurt too. Starting to think Watson might not be the right opener either.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
It is quite extroardinary that someone who had been our best wicket taker the previous season and whose stats in tests have been exemplary would find himself behind someone who had taken four wickets in three tests.
The point has already been raised, but Bollinger's conditioning has come out as a major problem. He broke down in India and then barely managed to get through the Adeliade test.
I certainly can't see him lasting in Sri Lankan heat and humidity for more than a test either, so unless he improves that aspect of his game drastically his test future looks murky.

howardj

International Coach
That's what they did with Clarke, MWaugh etc I guess. I thought they were doing the same with Callum Ferguson and it seemed to be working well until he got injured.

Ruckus

International Captain
I certainly can't see him lasting in Sri Lankan heat and humidity for more than a test either, so unless he improves that aspect of his game drastically his test future looks murky.
Apparently before the SCG test he was 100% fit after training really hard on his endurance. He didn't actually 'break down' in India either, it was a standard injury fast bowlers often get. His actual lack of endurance in the Adelaide test though was probably just a result of him not having that much match time after his injury recovery.

pup11

International Coach
I must say I did back Hughes to get a ton in one of the 3 tests, thought he might step up. But none of the younger players stepped up at all, maybe Siddle. Hussey and Watson and Haddin you would back to do something in the series given their experience. Picking Usman was a sound move, picking Doherty and Beer was flat out stupid. Clarke and Punter obviously hurt us badly, Katich out injured hurt too. Starting to think Watson might not be the right opener either.
I'm not surprised he didn't do well, probably every man and his dog interested in Aussie cricket wants him to change his technique, which is just an unnecessary distraction and only adds to the pressure, was kind of unlucky as well, think got out to a few good balls and also was run-out once.

Spark

Global Moderator
Ironically the two blokes they have incomprehensibly ignored (Bollinger and Hauritz) were the two who probably would have shown the most ticker for us. Aside from Siddle, ofc.

TumTum

Banned
So after the WC, what are us Aussie fans supposed to look out for before the SL series? Will there be FC matches which most of the senior batsman participate in?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So after the WC, what are us Aussie fans supposed to look out for before the SL series? Will there be FC matches which most of the senior batsman participate in?
We have a one day series in Bangladesh, I heard on the radio that the type of tour hasn't been confirmed. I've got a feeling that Australia will try very hard to get a couple of Tests not just one dayers.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You know we're going badly when the Poms start recycling the jokes we've made about them for years

Good to see the Aussies in fancy dress on the 4th and 5th days of the tests… dressed as plastic seats.

Clarke wanted to captain the Australians very badly. And now he has done that.

Breaking News.....The ICC are investigating worrying reports of irregular betting patterns during the 5th Test at Sydney. Some people backed Australia

Australia still has world class spinners. There's the redback, the funnel web...
+++
Which Aussie cricket spent the most time at the crease? Whoever ironed the cricket whites

What is the difference between Cinderella and the Aussies? Cinderella knew when to leave the ball

Why can no-one drink wine in Australia at the moment? They haven't got any openers

What do you call an Australian who can hold a catch? A fisherman

What do you call an Aussie with a bottle of Champagne? A waiter

What do you call a world-class Australian cricketer? Retired

What do you call an Aussie holding a six inch urn above his head? The England bowling coach

What is the definaition of optimism? An Aussie batsman with suncream on

How do you help an Aussie Cricket getting 100 runs by his name? Give him the ball to bowl

What does the Aussie wicketkeeper and Michael Jackson have in common? They both wear gloves for no apparent reason

English Batsman: Knock, knock.
Australian Wicketkeeper : Who’s there?
English batsman: It’s still me.
+++
Ricky Ponting had just gone out to bat when his wife rang.When told “He’ll have to call you back, he’s just gone out to bat.”, she replied “No problem, I’ll hold.”

A police officer pulls over this guy who's been weaving in and out of the
lanes. He goes up to the guy's window and says, "Sir, I need you to blow
into this breathalyser tube."
The man immediately reaches into his pocket and produces a doctors note. On
it is written, "This man suffers from terrible asthma, please don't make him
perform any action that'll leave him short of breath."
The officer says, "Okay, I need you to come and give a blood sample.
Straight away, them man produces another letter. This one reads, "This man
is a haemophiliac , please do not cause him to bleed in
any way."
So the officer says, "Right, I need a urine sample, then."
The man produces a third letter: "This man plays for the Aussie Cricket
Team, please don't take the piss out of him.

A seven-year-old boy was at the centre of a Parramatta, NSW courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him.The boy had a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulations requiring that family unity be maintained to the degree possible. The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her.When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried out that they also beat him.After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him. After two recesses to check legal references and confer with child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the Australian Cricket Team, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is the difference between Cinderella and the Aussies? Cinderella knew when to leave the ball

ok i lol'd