• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As I say, correlation doesn't always equal causation.

When he's moved to four of late, he's come in mostly early doors.

That's more of a factor, in my expert opinion, than the elevation.
Isn't that exactly the point though?
If you bat higher, you come in earlier.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Same with big Troy. How ridiculous that you need to 'rest' a bowler during a series to fix his action

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I don't know what Langer has been doing but it's not been any sort of good.
I would put my money on him giving the batsmen some wish-washy "spiritual advice" rather than actually trying to help improve their techniques.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doubt it, bloke's tough as teak-flavoured French sticks. Intense guy.

Only so much you can do to correct the techniques of blokes who can't play the swinging ball. It's been a problem with Aussie batters since time immemorial, that far fewer Aussie bats spend a few seasons in England, in my view, is a big contributor to their tendencies to nick out a lot. Have seen it even a state level, most green pitches in the past few years have resulted in very low scoring games, 20 wickets in a day, etc. The current lot, when the ball's moving, panic and fence rather than playing late and being a bit patient.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Im not a fan of keeping the likes of Ponting/Katich etc in the team. Granted they are the best around, but these guys just failed during a pivotal series against a decent attack. Odds are they arent going to get better. Id much rather use the time to invest in some of those players who might actually some day be good enough to be top drawer players than keep players in the side that have no place else to go then downhill. They went off a hunch on players like Boonie, Waugh and Healy in the 80s and similarly with Clarke in the 2000s and they kind of have to do the same here given their talent pool.

Might be more painful in the short run but it is worth it in the long run.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
As big of a Katich fan as I am, the fact of the matter is that hes failed in his last 8 innings. I have no doubt that hes a better player than that but at his age, he cant really afford to go through a slump because theres really no telling whether or not hes coming back from it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eh, depends on your definition of failure but (virtually) two half-tons in two Tests against England and a few solid starts in India doesn't meet with mine. Either way, he's surely still the best option of what's left.

Just from watching him, not seeing any red-flags to suggest he's declined as a player. He'll be back in soon, scoring 50-80 in no time and we'll forget all this.

tooextracool

International Coach
He may well do so, but hes a short term fix to what is a pretty severe long term problem IMO. Im not really a big fan of 40s-50s though and you probably know it. Nothing irritates me more than a player that scores 40-50 on a flat track.

howardj

International Coach
Langer, a firm friend of Ricky Ponting, was catapulted into the batting role and has a simple philosophy for the run-makers.

"Focus on seeing the ball out of the bowler's hand and winning every contest," he told ESPNcricinfo in November. "If you do that enough the result looks after itself."

Langer is a brown nose, and a yes man. He's like a travelling Nugget Rees - except Nuggett is less stomach churning.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if anybody will suggest he moves down a place, I got to agree with Stephens team, barring Johnson, he is a liability that this team can't afford, replace him with someone else, who that is I don't know, Copeland or Cameron maybe. But the next test isn't for more then half a year so Harris might even be fit for one or two games, or somebody else might stand up.
The only problem is that Johnson is basically the source of our wins over the last few years. He fires and we fire. How do you drop a man like that?

howardj

International Coach
England did their homework, and if other teams follow their lead (i.e. not playing at his angled delieveries which are going to miss off stump), then I think there'll be a lot less of him winning us games in the future. That said, he's a cert for the tour to SA - given the prodigious swing he got over there and the sheer havoc he wrought on the 2009 tour (pre-Mrs Johnson outburst).

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
England did their homework, and if other teams follow their lead (i.e. not playing at his angled delieveries which are going to miss off stump), then I think there'll be a lot less of him winning us games in the future. That said, he's a cert for the tour to SA - given the prodigious swing he got over there and the sheer havoc he wrought on the 2009 tour (pre-Mrs Johnson outburst).
So do you 'rest' him from the SL tour beforehand? He's going to be pummelled over there, I cant see him being 1% successful. Horses.....