• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't think we should be too heavily guided by history on whether to persist for ages with a player too. Steve Waugh is an example of a bloke who was persevered with for 26 tests before he scored a ton but don't forget he was doing a lot of bowling to keep his place. No way would someone like Smith deserve that long a run without some indication of consistent runs or tons. Gotta be some ROI eventually and a couple of hard-hitting 50's in hopeless situations ain't enough to keep him in at 6 or 7.

Uppercut

And calls to bring in Rogers...jesus christ man.
I don't really get it.. Australia's batting is a joke, why would you completely ignore a player with a disgusting amount of first-class runs at a disgusting average over a disgusting amount of time? Same goes for David Hussey.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Must say im a fan of Shuan Marsh, I like his technique and solid batting. Worried that he hasnt really had many outstanding shield seasons though to ram home his case.

Ruckus

International Captain
I don't see a problem with this opener thing. I'm sure Katich will be fit come the Sri Lanka series, and I'm sure he will be selected over Hughes given his bad performance. That means Katich should be able to play for another year maybe, allowing Hughes good time to try and get some form and work on his technical problems. If Hughes is still not showing signs of improvement then, hopefully someone like Maddinson might be able to come into the equation. Katich is really the perfect stop-gap solution to these problems - let's just hope he doesn't get injured again. I still really think Hughes will come good though.

Top_Cat

I don't really get it.. Australia's batting is a joke, why would you completely ignore a player with a disgusting amount of first-class runs at a disgusting average over a disgusting amount of time? Same goes for David Hussey.
Because he's a disgusting ranga.

That and the Vic Batsman Ban. Pay attention, FFS.

Burgey

I don't see a problem with this opener thing. I'm sure Katich will be fit come the Sri Lanka series, and I'm sure he will be selected over Hughes given his bad performance. That means Katich should be able to play for another year maybe, allowing Hughes good time to try and get some form and work on his technical problems. If Hughes is still not showing signs of improvement then, hopefully someone like Maddinson might be able to come into the equation. Katich is really the perfect stop-gap solution to these problems - let's just hope he doesn't get injured again. I still really think Hughes will come good though.
Ed Cowan.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Must say im a fan of Shuan Marsh, I like his technique and solid batting. Worried that he hasnt really had many outstanding shield seasons though to ram home his case.
He averaged 60 last season and is averaging 60 again this season. He's on his way!

howardj

International Coach
Hmm. Well, the fact remains that thus far Clarke has been one of our best-ever #5s and one of our worst-ever #4s.
As I say, correlation doesn't always equal causation.

When he's moved to four of late, he's come in mostly early doors.

That's more of a factor, in my expert opinion, than the elevation.

Ruckus

International Captain
Ed Cowan.
I really like Ed Cowan, but he seems to me just another Ferguson. He looks great when he bats and has solid technique, but he just doesn't have a good enough record to back it up. I would have faith in him improving that record, but he is already 28.

Top_Cat

Marsh in Tests, I don't mind that. Marsh opening in Tests is a different proposition especially if the ball is swinging. Bit too easily squared-up for mine.

howardj

International Coach
The problem with Ponting is that he never listens.

People told him to drop down to six before the Ashes...ignored. People told him to put the pull shot in the closet or at least use it sparingly...ignored. People told him he was taking on too much...ignored.

That's OK when you're flying high. But ignoring advice when you and your team is failing, just looks like pig headedness.

Wouldn't surprise me if he stays at three and keeps captaining. God knows Nielsen or Hilditch are not strong enough to stand up to him.

Yep, back at work today, in a ranting mood lol

Burgey

I really like Ed Cowan, but he seems to me just another Ferguson. He looks great when he bats and has solid technique, but he just doesn't have a good enough record to back it up. I would have faith in him improving that record, but he is already 28.
He scores all around the wicket. The problem with Hughes isn't that he's weak against the short ball, it's that he's so squared off he can't score a run on the leg side, which is a usually a player of his ability's bread and butter.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah but they are the kind of things I'd hope Hughes would aim to work on if Katich (or someone else) takes over in the meantime. I agee though, his game at the moment is way too restricted.

Spark

Global Moderator
He scores all around the wicket. The problem with Hughes isn't that he's weak against the short ball, it's that he's so squared off he can't score a run on the leg side, which is a usually a player of his ability's bread and butter.
Yeah agree. Just lets the bowlers get away with far too much bowling that would be basically dross to any other left-hander/

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Justin Langer was equally as bad on the legside, he was always falling across his stumps and getting lbw or just plain missing the ball as it thundered into his thigh pad.. Thank goodness Hughes has nothing to do with Langer.

Spark

Global Moderator
Justin Langer was equally as bad on the legside, he was always falling across his stumps and getting lbw or just plain missing the ball as it thundered into his thigh pad.. Thank goodness Hughes has nothing to do with Langer.
Haha good point

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah Langer needs to go asap. I never realised how much of a nutbag that guy was...his website scared me.