• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But at the same time, England's results in the 2 years prior to beating the West Indies were dire, whereas South Africa were beating everyone home and away. Over the long term, South Africa deserve their number 2 ranking, whereas right now England are arguably the better side.
I am not sure if England are a better side now than SA. I do think though we are a better side now than the one that played for us in SA this time last year. If that is now a better side than SA then so be it but we won't know till the sides meet on the park.

Last edited:

vcs

I disagree. If you compare 2 teams you compare 2 teams as best you can. For me, if thet can't be split then they can't be split. Don't go dragging up a series played by a completely different set of players playing under the same name.
What is the timeframe you propose to use for your hypothetical subjective comparison? Do we judge England on their last match? OK, England are all-powerful as they owned Australia completely. One series? Still pretty good, despite a blip in Perth. Two series? Good, but with a lot of out-of-form batsmen (Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Strauss etc.).. and so it goes.

The most logical thing to do is to look at home and away results over the past few years as it takes into account vagaries of form etc. over a period of time and that's what most sensible people would do.

vcs

Hmm yeah but as I said before, I'm not saying they've had no weaknesses in the past - even the recent past - so I'm not too concerned about the results (Perth excepted I suppose - but even then I'd regard Steve Finn as a weakness; not that the rest would've been different). They've proven very little as they've barely played as a unit, so I'm not trying to claim them as a rightful #1 or anything like that, which is why I've been frustrated by people quoting results at me.

I was posting in a predictive sense, looking at their lineup and concluding that, overall, I think they'll do better than every other team in the near future. This isn't to say I'm tipping them for world domination because I'd still expect them to lose away to India for example and drop the odd Test overall, but I think the side, taking into account the recent personnel changes and improvements in the established players, is the best one going forward. Yes, they are going to lose Tests because they aren't perfect, but I think the way they've eliminated all the weak spots in the team, player-wise anyway, is going to put them in better stead than the rest.

Yeah you're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that India don't deserve to be ranked #1; the only fair ranking system is one based on results over time. However, when I'm trying to predict what'll happen in the near future, I'm much more likely to look at the personnel than the rankings, particularly when I think teams have changed in such a way that their rankings are somewhat meaningless.

It's something people have failed to grasp throughout this entire thread - the difference between ranking teams on their results, where I'd put India first and daylight second, and ranking teams based on how you think they'll perform in the near future.
But I wouldn't disregard history altogether in my predictions either. Basically you are saying the new version of England without weaknesses is the one that won the recent Test in Melbourne (with Finn dropped).. that is far too short-termist. After all, the likes of Cook, Strauss and Pietersen were struggling with the bat only just before this series.. so if they lose the next Test with a batting collapse, they would become weaknesses again, right?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What's interesting is to look at India and England's results since they were last beaten in a series.

India:

W 2-0 (4) v Australia (h)
W 1-0 (2) v England (h)
W 1-0 (3) v New Zealand (a)
W 2-0 (3) v Sri Lanka (h)
W 2-0 (2) v Bangladesh (a)
D 1-1 (2) v South Africa (h)
D 1-1 (3) v Sri Lanka (a)
W 2-0 (2) v Australia (h)
W 1-0 (3) v New Zealand (h)

Add in the results from the current series, and India have won 7 and drawn 2 of their last 9 series, for a record of P26 W14 D9 L3

England:

W 2-0 (2) v West Indies (h)
W 2-1 (5) v Australia (h)
D 1-1 (4) v South Africa (a)
W 2-0 (2) v Bangladesh (h)
W 3-1 (4) v Pakistan (h)

Add in the results for the current series, England have won 5 and drawn 1 of their last 6 series, for a record of P23 W14 D5 L4

There's not a great deal between the sides recently.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But I wouldn't disregard history altogether in my predictions either. Basically you are saying the new version of England without weaknesses is the one that won the recent Test in Melbourne (with Finn dropped).. that is far too short-termist. After all, the likes of Cook, Strauss and Pietersen were struggling with the bat only just before this series.. so if they lose the next Test with a batting collapse, they would become weaknesses again, right?
It's only short termist if I'm basing my predictions on the performance in that one match. I'm not - I'm basing it on a sum of the parts of the team. Cook, Strauss and Pietersen are good batsmen; they are not weaknesses. Even if they get rolled and lose a Test (and it'll happen, because they aren't a perfect side), they still won't be weak players.

flibbertyjibber

Also how can we say it is without weakness when Bresnan who is part of that team in Melbourne couldn't get Bangladesh players out in a home test earlier in the year?

Are Bangladesh a better batting side that Australia then? :ph34r:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What is the timeframe you propose to use for your hypothetical subjective comparison? Do we judge England on their last match? OK, England are all-powerful as they owned Australia completely. One series? Still pretty good, despite a blip in Perth. Two series? Good, but with a lot of out-of-form batsmen (Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Strauss etc.).. and so it goes.

The most logical thing to do is to look at home and away results over the past few years as it takes into account vagaries of form etc. over a period of time and that's what most sensible people would do.
Yeah, I misread it and missed that you were actually talking about rankings.

Then again I don't think the rankings always reflect the correct order of teams at this moment in time. The reflect who has been the most successful side in the last 4 years but that isn't same as being the best team now.

You question the time limit for "my hypothetical subjective comparison" but why is the time limit up for dispute where as the time limit for the rankings is not? As we've already clarified, 4 years, hell even 2 years, includes results and performances by a side that barley resembles the current one so to declare India better on the basis of something completely irrelevant to this current England side is frivolous at best.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Also how can we say it is without weakness when Bresnan who is part of that team in Melbourne couldn't get Bangladesh players out in a home test earlier in the year?

Yes, quite obviously. No wonder Australia chickened out of a Test series in April.

Jarquis

Only if you subscribe to the idea that "a player is only as good as his last game". Which I don't. Pietersen could get a king pair in his next game and he'd still be a class batsman.

vcs

I don't think many people would dispute that Australia have batted worse in this series than probably even Bangladesh did earlier... and I'm sure you're loving it. :laugh:

vcs

Yeah, I misread it and missed that you were actually talking about rankings.

Then again I don't think the rankings always reflect the correct order of teams at this moment in time. The reflect who has been the most successful side in the last 4 years but that isn't same as being the best team now.

You question the time limit for "my hypothetical subjective comparison" but why is the time limit up for dispute where as the time limit for the rankings is not? As we've already clarified, 4 years, hell even 2 years, includes results and performances by a side that barley resembles the current one so to declare India better on the basis of something completely irrelevant to this current England side is frivolous at best.
No, it is not. As I said, performance over a period of time evens out peaks and troughs of individual players' form etc. and takes into account performances against a variety of opposition. I think we ideologically differ on how we view the utility of these rankings as a means for predicting the future, so we should agree to disagree.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The point is though, dropping the leading wicket taker led to an improved performance. That's a pretty good indicator of our bench strength, as well as indicating the strength of our bowling attack overall. A strength that at the moment, no other side in the world has. You might argue that individual bowlers are better than their English counterparts, but the English attack is the strongest in world cricket at the moment.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, it is not. As I said, performance over a period of time evens out peaks and troughs of individual players' form etc. and takes into account performances against a variety of opposition. I think we ideologically differ on how we view the utility of these rankings as a means for predicting the future, so we should agree to disagree.
I think you actually both agree. India being number 1 reflects that over the past 4 years (or however many years are taken into consideration), they have achieved the best results. What Marcuss is arguing (and I agree) is that a team's ranking performance does not reflect how good they are right now.

Hypothetical. India win the World Cup, Dravid Laxman and Tendulkar all ride into the sunset and Zaheer injures himself in the IPL. India will still travel to England ranked ahead of their opponents, but would you seriously argue in that hypothetical scenario that India were the better team going into the series?

vcs

It's only short termist if I'm basing my predictions on the performance in that one match. I'm not - I'm basing it on a sum of the parts of the team. Cook, Strauss and Pietersen are good batsmen; they are not weaknesses. Even if they get rolled and lose a Test (and it'll happen, because they aren't a perfect side), they still won't be weak players.
Only if you subscribe to the idea that "a player is only as good as his last game". Which I don't. Pietersen could get a king pair in his next game and he'd still be a class batsman.
No, they certainly aren't weaknesses. But people were also questioning their form, technique and how they'd hold up prior to this series. Hell, there were people expecting Cook to get ditched midway through, and Pietersen had been dreadful for a good year and a half before this series.

I mean, if you had looked at India's batting lineup after their tour to SL, you'd call it world-class in every position including Raina's. Didn't take long for that myth to be busted though. Not saying Raina's in the same class as any of England batsmen as a Test player, but you get my point.

vcs

I think you actually both agree. India being number 1 reflects that over the past 4 years (or however many years are taken into consideration), they have achieved the best results. What Marcuss is arguing (and I agree) is that a team's ranking performance does not reflect how good they are right now.

Hypothetical. India win the World Cup, Dravid Laxman and Tendulkar all ride into the sunset and Zaheer injures himself in the IPL. India will still travel to England ranked ahead of their opponents, but would you seriously argue in that hypothetical scenario that India were the better team going into the series?
No, retirements would certainly change things drastically. I'd make an exception for that.

Bun

Banned
What's interesting is to look at India and England's results since they were last beaten in a series.

India:

W 2-0 (4) v Australia (h)
W 1-0 (2) v England (h)
W 1-0 (3) v New Zealand (a)
W 2-0 (3) v Sri Lanka (h)
D 1-1 (2) v South Africa (h)
D 1-1 (3) v Sri Lanka (a)
W 2-0 (2) v Australia (h)
W 1-0 (3) v New Zealand (h)

Add in the results from the current series, and India have won 7 and drawn 2 of their last 9 series, for a record of P26 W14 D9 L3

England:

W 2-0 (2) v West Indies (h)
W 2-1 (5) v Australia (h)
D 1-1 (4) v South Africa (a)
W 2-0 (2) v Bangladesh (h)
W 3-1 (4) v Pakistan (h)

Add in the results for the current series, England have won 5 and drawn 1 of their last 6 series, for a record of P23 W14 D5 L4

There's not a great deal between the sides recently.
India have had to face more top 5 teams and despite that have prevailed, unlike England.

Make no mistake the chasm between top 5 and the rest is quite substantial to be ignored.

England has played just two series against top 5 teams, while India has played 6 of them.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

India have had to face more top 5 teams and despite that have prevailed, unlike England.

Make no mistake the chasm between top 5 and the rest is quite substantial to be ignored.

England has played just two series against top 5 teams, while India has played 5 of them.
India have played 6 series against top 5 sides but 5 were at home which is a rather big help.

Jarquis

No, retirements would certainly change things drastically. I'd make an exception for that.
Well how's it different from players getting injured, being dropped or falling woefully out of form or improving.
They're all the same in the fact that they change the current makeup/dynamic of the side. Thus influencing how the team is rated right now.
What players have already achieved can't be disputed or changed which is why the rankings will never be an entirely true reflection of the current state of play.