• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Nah I think it's pretty clear. South Africa's immediate results have been dire.

I don't think India have the best team at the moment as such but their results in the short to medium term past make them conclusively deserving of the #1 title. That is completely undeniable, IMO; it's not even close. They haven't been a dominant #1 but their results have been clearly better than the others.
But England's haven't been. I think they should be #2, not SA. Daylight doesn't deserve a ranking higher than 6 IMO.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering that's my second post, I believe 'finally' is a little premature, tbh.

Well most of that is nonsense, tbh. Again with little or no comparative data, and basing 1 series as evidence, any extrapolation is bound to be fallacious. What's more 'interesting and stimulating' is reasoned conjecture--based on some sort of 'numerical' evidence. I guess that's too much to ask for. So we're left with the statement that 'the English attack has the fewest holes and is not mediocre' as the argument.

Brilliant.
Wow. Do you have a soul?

Too many mathematical words there for me. How about: using 2 years and (i think?) 7 series as evidence, in which we have gradually improved in every one of them, culminating in a very impressive win/draw in Australia.

There are arguments for and against how well we will do, yes, but simply dismissing perfectly reasonable arguments as nonsense is completely unfair. We don't have to be as mathematically rigid as you are, but we can come up with theories as to how well England may hypothetically do using other things than just 'comparative data' of series wins and losses etc. We can look at the strength of the Indian bowling attack, and from that how important a bowling attack is in winning matches, and many other things.

Saying that the English team has the fewest holes is an argument in debating who will win, yes. Its not the only one but its a reasonable one.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But England's haven't been. I think they should be #2, not SA. Daylight doesn't deserve a ranking higher than 6 IMO.
There are things like losing to the West Indies, though, which I think are basically irrelevant in the reality of how England will perform in the immediate future but justifiably play a part in the rankings.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This is what I dont understand when people say this. If England should be number 2, then they would already be number 2 unless we have evidence of the ranking system not being fair.
If South Africa are number 2, its because they reached that position through consistent performances.

Its funny how we switch from one extreme to the other. Its either "South Africa are so awesome, they should be number 1" after the first test match or "South Africa dont deserve to be Number 2" after the second test match. Lot of people forget that South Africa is the only side India have not been able to defeat at home in two test series over the last couple of years.
England, Australia, Sri Lanka have all failed to achieve that.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The rankings are fair at present. England are 3rd on merit and are an improving side. Are they good enough to reach number 1 only time will tell. India and SA are ranked above us due to many years of good/better performances. England have been good since May 09 and while their results are impressive a short time of good results isn't enough to be ranked number 1 and rightly so.

I think all this my dick is bigger than yours in this thread is hilarious, long may it continue. :laugh:

biased indian

International Coach
Nah I think it's pretty clear. South Africa's immediate results have been dire.

I don't think India have the best team at the moment as such but their results in the short to medium term past make them conclusively deserving of the #1 title. That is completely undeniable, IMO; it's not even close. They haven't been a dominant #1 but their results have been clearly better than the others.
is it a must that you have to dominate...i will take 10 runs victory in 2 matches and a inngs defeat in a three match series any day :)

biased indian

International Coach
There are things like losing to the West Indies, though, which I think are basically irrelevant in the reality of how England will perform in the immediate future but justifiably play a part in the rankings.
intrestingly if india lose all the 4 test leading to the england series and england win all 4 both will end up on 118 points and SA on 120 points....

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India have a bunch of bowlers who will do well in English conditions atm ,Zaheer is obviously the best of the lot.

And Indian batsmen have done well traditionally dealing with swing in english conditions.

So if we get swinging conditions over there ,then i fancy India in current form to win in England,specially if you take into account the spining advantage .

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But at the same time, England's results in the 2 years prior to beating the West Indies were dire, whereas South Africa were beating everyone home and away. Over the long term, South Africa deserve their number 2 ranking, whereas right now England are arguably the better side.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India have a bunch of bowlers who will do well in English conditions atm ,Zaheer is obviously the best of the lot.

And Indian batsmen have done well traditionally dealing with swing in english conditions.

So if we get swinging conditions over there ,then i fancy India in current form to win in England,specially if you take into account the spining advantage .
Basically dwta :)

smash84

The Tiger King
But at the same time, England's results in the 2 years prior to beating the West Indies were dire, whereas South Africa were beating everyone home and away. Over the long term, South Africa deserve their number 2 ranking, whereas right now England are arguably the better side.
agreed