• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Someone mentioned county cricket earlier, and this would be a great option for Ishant IMO. With IPL clashing with the county season, this is a distant dream for Indian bowlers.
Surely Ishant won't hold down a place in an IPL team. His bowling in T20 is largely terrible.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Already I managed to get $150 on SA at $3.15 odds.

If Steyn cleans us up here, at least I'll be able to buy that new jacket I was looking at.

If India win, jacketless glory :ph34r:
No worries, there will be plenty to be had on ebay in a week or two (but only if green's your colour). Can also pick up a matching baggy green, perhaps.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, and keeping in mind India's batting lineup (and how they batted in the second innings last time), and of course the Bhajji factor in the fourth innings on this pitch...
I mean, you're obviously favourites, but this game's wide open.. South Africa still have the better overall attack and a similar-quality batting lineup.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What do you guys reckon would be a good target for South Africa ?
We cannot count on a repeat performance from Zaheer and Harbhajan and Sreesanth/Ishant will always be ****. Therefore, I would not feel confident with any target under 400. However, a sensible target, for me, will have to be over 250, minimum.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, you're obviously favourites, but this game's wide open.. South Africa still have the better overall attack and a similar-quality batting lineup.
I guess it's more like "we can't possible screw it up from here" kind of thing. 74 runs is big on this pitch. We need to make it count.

Blaze 18

Banned
And Indian fans will stop claiming that South Africa's obscenely awesome batting lineup is not that special and they would have won the first test had they won the toss :p.
Just to clarify, I did not say India would have won the first test for sure. I only said South Africa would have had a much harder time of it. The conditions that India got on the first day were in stark contrast to what the South Africans did on the second and third days. Granted the Indian batting and bowling were both woeful, but let us not pretend that the toss didn't make any difference.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess it's more like "we can't possible screw it up from here" kind of thing. 74 runs is big on this pitch. We need to make it count.
Yeah true.

I wouldn't say it's yours to lose yet, though. Still so much cricket still to be played, and low-scoring games can change in an instant- one quality spell and one quality innings from here potentially gives South Africa the match.

Briony

International Debutant
SA's attack is really not better when you look at Tsotsobe and Harris. Morkel was a bit down. So much depends on Steyn who hasn't had much rest. Kallis is not what he was. Surely the selectors might look at Parnell who would also shore up the batting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Psssh, I laugh at people who think that the universe cares about their forum posts.
You weren't here during the Australia in India series obviously, when our anti-jinxing turned a match on its head :cool:

Sure Laxman and Ishant had something to do with it, but it was mainly our anti-jinxing.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah true.

I wouldn't say it's yours to lose yet, though. Still so much cricket still to be played, and low-scoring games can change in an instant- one quality spell and one quality innings from here potentially gives South Africa the match.
I agree, just that the chances of that happening is less likely now than it was on day one. So if we do get bowled out cheaply now it will be more of us not batting well than SA bowling well.

shankar

International Debutant
Chennai / Mumbai / Eden / Nagpur / Mohali / Bangalore are all good grounds. Lets just stick to them.
Unfortunately pretty much all those wickets have become slow-low pancakes. Among that list the last match of the SA series in Mumbai (at the Brabourne stadium not Wankhede) was on a wicket that was of the 90's-'02 variety. But can't remember any recent matches at the other grounds which weren't slow+low turners.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And they were 74 runs behind, and will have to bat last...

They can win of course, but that'd need superb efforts from Kallis, Amla and AB...I don't see India getting less than 300 in this innings...

Blaze 18

Banned
SA's attack is really not better when you look at Tsotsobe and Harris. Morkel was a bit down. So much depends on Steyn who hasn't had much rest. Kallis is not what he was. Surely the selectors might look at Parnell who would also shore up the batting.
I agree - if you take out Dale Steyn, then there is little to choose between the two attacks. The problem from an Indian perspective is that Steyn makes a massive difference.