• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Like I said, they could have had someone translate in English, couldn't they ? Mahela Jaywardene has done it for Ajantha Mendis (Sinhalese/English). Yousuf Pathan would have been able to express himself far more clearly in his own language.
meh.. he will learn.. If he is to be a good international player who can produce such displays often, he will and should.. ;)

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Yeah, his English is quite good for someone who used to struggle to string two coherent sentences together not that long ago.
I remember his interview after a century against WI in ODIs. It went on like Bowler bad, me good, I hit ball go or something to that effect. He has improved a lot indeed.

A random thing about Dhoni's post match interviews, the guy just has to ask a simple question and Dhoni will come out with a detailed description of who did what and why he deserved praise in this game. Just rambles on and on.

Blocky

Banned
Cricket Chat is not linguistics chat.

NZ at this point might as well throw everyone available in the side, rest some of the players that have just been taking a pounding and try out some options like James Franklin at 3, Grant Elliott at 4.

Mike5181

International Captain
Cricket Chat is not linguistics chat.

NZ at this point might as well throw everyone available in the side, rest some of the players that have just been taking a pounding and try out some options like James Franklin at 3, Grant Elliott at 4.
I think Elliot has lost a lot of support from NZ fans recently.I am not sure why but he isn't a player that fills you with confidence when you see his name on the player sheet. Tests is probably a stretch to far for him. I think realistically its either Franklin that plays or Elliot. My vote goes to Franklin if either of them were to be considered.

Blocky

Banned
I think Elliot has lost a lot of support from NZ fans recently.I am not sure why but he isn't a player that fills you with confidence when you see his name on the player sheet. Tests is probably a stretch to far for him. I think realistically its either Franklin that plays or Elliot. My vote goes to Franklin if either of them were to be considered.
I like Elliott for the same reason I liked Twose. Hard nosed individual making the most of his talent and putting in effort. Shovelling him down so low in the order means he can't play the role he most effectively plays, the higher he bats, the better his chances .

Mike5181

International Captain
I like Elliott for the same reason I liked Twose. Hard nosed individual making the most of his talent and putting in effort. Shovelling him down so low in the order means he can't play the role he most effectively plays, the higher he bats, the better his chances .
If he wants to bat up the order number 3 is basically vacant in both forms of the game :happy:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Right, India consists of 28 states, only 7-8 states have Hindi as first language. Only 40% Indians have Hindi as first language.

The Hindi Belt -

According to 1991 cencus, 24% Indians have English as second/third language, thats 20yrs ago, literacy rate has dramatically improved. Current estimate is 35-40%. The figures include English speakers, but not English users. Had the English user number been included, then the total number would be well over 750 million.
What's an English user.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Do you know all South Indian languages? If not stfu.:)
Why limit to South Indian Languages only ? What happened to Bengali, Oriya, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi etc ?

So is English, ffs.
If I am not wrong, According to the Constitution, "Hindi is the Official Language", English may be used but according to the constitution there is only one Official Language.

The purpose for which Hindi was made official language(along with English) is to use it as the language of the govt, assemblies et al., basically, official purposes.

Beyond the scope of the internal workings of the govt. Hindi does not enjoy any special privilege over say, Tamil or Marathi.
Actually it does. Constitution clearly mentions a special directive for Hindi Language :-

http://www.constitution.org/cons/india/p17351.html

Plus I think almost all cricket buffs are literate enough to understand english.
I don't believe that is accurte.

smash84

The Tiger King
Coming back to the topic NZ has lost 8 matches on the trot (excluding a rain washout). A ninth defeat looks imminent the way India and NZ are playing. What is the record for the most number of consecutive defeats for a non-minnow (read as Bang, Zim)???

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Would say NZ's performance in the last game was OK, all things considered. It was just Pathan's day. McCullum gives their top-order a big boost and they missed him in the previous matches, Williamson isn't ready for an ODI spot just yet IMO. They have to sort out their fast bowling department which looks really ordinary at the moment.

India's death bowling continues to remain a big concern. Having said that, there aren't too many good ODI death bowlers going around in world cricket at the moment, apart from Malinga and maybe Gul.