• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Some of my friends and clients from South India dont speak Hindi but they do understand it. In Yusuf or Praveen Kumar's case, they should be allowed to give such interviews in Hindi.
Well that might not be the case with everyone, there are quite a few who can't understand hindi imo. I might be wrong though. Anyways how are the non indian fans supposed to know hindi anyways? In this case say, NZ fans?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
An Indian club-spinner would look decent against this current NZ batting lineup in these conditions. Yusuf & Ashwin (to a lesser extent) will get murdered against a half-decent (and confident) batting line-up tbh.
On what basis are you saying that about Ashwin? Very much like what I see from him.

For India post-Harbhajan, in limited overs cricket, it's all about Ojha in T20s and Ashwin in ODIs

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
English is not the national language Hindi is.
No it isn't. There is no national language here. The constitution mentions no such thing, and there's even a High Court ruling to that effect. There are two official languages - Hindi and English.

kingkallis

International Coach
In that case, Yusuf dont have to know or speak English since he knows other official language, Hindi. He did try his best to explain but he could have expressed himself better in Hindi.

I remember Rameez or Shastri himself conducting a post game interview in Hindi.

kingkallis

International Coach
No it isn't. There is no national language here. The constitution mentions no such thing, and there's even a High Court ruling to that effect. There are two official languages - Hindi and English.
Thats right. We do not have our national language. Its just that we kept hearing this 'Rashtriya bhasha' word @ the school and every time I hear it, Hindi comes to my mind! :D

Teja.

Global Moderator
The purpose for which Hindi was made official language(along with English) is to use it as the language of the govt, assemblies et al., basically, official purposes.

Beyond the scope of the internal workings of the govt. Hindi does not enjoy any special privilege over say, Tamil or Marathi.

angad

U19 12th Man
Right, India consists of 28 states, only 7-8 states have Hindi as first language. Only 40% Indians have Hindi as first language.

The Hindi Belt -

According to 1991 cencus, 24% Indians have English as second/third language, thats 20yrs ago, literacy rate has dramatically improved. Current estimate is 35-40%. The figures include English speakers, but not English users. Had the English user number been included, then the total number would be well over 750 million.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Right, India consists of 28 states, only 7-8 states have Hindi as first language. Only 40% Indians have Hindi as first language.

According to 1991 cencus, 24% Indians have English as second/third language, thats 20yrs ago, literacy rate has dramatically improved. Current estimate is 35-40%. The figures include English speakers, but not English users. Had the English user number been included, then the total number would be well over 750 million.
Plus I think almost all cricket buffs are literate enough to understand english.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
lol....NZ's best chance to win and end the long losing streak and Pathan ruins the party....Gun batsman...

This is the thing about Pathans they do it, when you least expect it.

Blaze 18

Banned
I said Yousuf Pathan should have been interviewed in Hindi because he was not comfortable with English, clearly. I said Hindi not because it is the official language, but because it is the language Yousuf Pathan speaks. If it had been R.Ashwin in his place, then the interview should have been done in Tamil, or whatever language he is comfortable with. That is all. This has nothing to do with one language being "better" than the other.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I said Yousuf Pathan should have been interviewed in Hindi because he was not comfortable with English, clearly. I said Hindi not because it is the official language, but because it is the language Yousuf Pathan speaks. If it had been R.Ashwin in his place, then the interview should have been done in Tamil, or whatever language he is comfortable with. That is all. This has nothing to do with one language being "better" than the other.
The interview isn't for the benefit of the person being interviewed though; it's for the benefit of the audience. English was the right option.

Blaze 18

Banned
The interview isn't for the benefit of the person being interviewed though; it's for the benefit of the audience. English was the right option.
Like I said, they could have had someone translate in English, couldn't they ? Mahela Jaywardene has done it for Ajantha Mendis (Sinhalese/English). Yousuf Pathan would have been able to express himself far more clearly in his own language.