• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ian Smith didn't know who Grant Elliott was on test debut though.

Which means I highly doubt he knows anything about NZ domestic wicketkeepers.
Umm, there's a clear difference between Smith having never seen Elliott & actually having seen Watling. Anyways, even if Smith is full of it, I reckon it's Watling's best chance to get back in the side.

Put it this way, if Watling jumps the line ahead of other wicketkeepers without keeping domestically first, I'll explode.
Hence why I said he should be doing whatever he can to get the wicket-keeping gloves, even if it means changing provinces.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BJ Watling is not even a proven test class batsman, sucks against spin, and hasn't kept wicket full time in years.

If he has the (wk) to his name against Pakistan, I'm boycotting every game he keeps wicket in. It would be a slap in the face to the domestic keepers (not to mention better batsman-keepers like Sinclair and Papps) and running up the white flag to the world that we don't have any faith whatsoever in our domestic system.

And if you have no faith in system, you either change it drastically or pack up and go home.
Again Flem, no one's suggesting they throw him in as the Test keeper without him proving himself at FC level first.

Mike5181

International Captain
Umm, there's a clear difference between Smith having never seen Elliott & actually having seen Watling. Anyways, even if Smith is full of it, I reckon it's Watling's best chance to get back in the side.

Hence why I said he should be doing whatever he can to get the wicket-keeping gloves, even if it means changing provinces.
I think Flem274* is forgetting Ian Smith was a former International keeper and was actually selected as our best in the NZ all time eleven so he knows a thing or two about wicketkeeping.

It can't be a completely preposterous idea if a lot of us here seem to think its worth a go at least.

Mike5181

International Captain
You aren't. Some people really are though.
If your referring to me then i said in a previous post that he should have six months training/coaching first. Whether it be just working with coaches or actually being proven at FC level so be it but he is a good solution either way.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We've been put into bat and Baz is fit enough to keep! Which is good news besides the disappoinment of not winning that Hopkins under 28 bet. Williamson dropped for How.

Really find it difficult to place Williamson in this ODI team tbh. Where should he bat at the end of the day? Seems like a handy accumlator but does he have enough firebrand in him? Is it worth trying to build it in him at this stage in his career? Would rather him carry on as he is if it could even feasibly impact his Test game.

Howsie

International Captain
Ha, surprise, surprise. Teams struggling so let's get rid of the youngest player. So typical of the Greatbatch/Vettori partnership.

Last edited:

Mike5181

International Captain
You reckon Williamson wasn't struggling though?
Oh come on he was struggling but he was getting through to 20-30 he just needs to cash in after the hard work...Idiots why would they drop him. Geez as if they could do anything more wrong after all the thrashings we have got.

Mike5181

International Captain
He wasn't at his best obviously but it's not like the rest of the top order have been scoring runs with an 80+ strike rate.
At least he put a price on his wicket which is more than the others could say

Last edited: