• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

weed wizard

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I put Watling in there for keeper.
He can be trained in.
Remember even Dravid played as a keeper in WC03. India lost in finals.
Its all about getting the combinations right.

Flem274*

123/5
Wouldn't require magic for Watling, just dedication & commitment. I think it was Ian Smith who remarked that Watling was the best 'mover' of all the NZ keepers outside McCullum on the few occasions he'd seen him.
Ian Smith didn't know who Grant Elliott was on test debut though.

Which means I highly doubt he knows anything about NZ domestic wicketkeepers.

Put it this way, if Watling jumps the line ahead of other wicketkeepers without keeping domestically first, I'll explode.

Mike5181

International Captain
Ian Smith didn't know who Grant Elliott was on test debut though.

Which means I highly doubt he knows anything about NZ domestic wicketkeepers.

Put it this way, if Watling jumps the line ahead of other wicketkeepers without keeping domestically first, I'll explode.
haha yeah i remember him being confused about Grant Elliot.

The domestic keepers in NZ aren't much either though and i guess the whole batsmen wicketkeeper thing is whats needed at the moment. Watling is not a terrible keeper by any means but we shall see if they take that route if Hopkins continues to walk down the path of failville.

Blocky

Banned
As they should, Chris Nevin represents one of the better keeper-batsmen of the last 15 years at the domestic level. One wonders if he had the chances of some of the other guys around what he would have done at the international level.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nevin isn't where he was even a few years ago though, it was atrocious. Was talking about how Nevin was a responsible player, how he was an excellent bat and then the next ball he skies one and Wellington are left in the wreckage.

Nevin wouldn't even be playing if not for the complete lack of Black Caps, in-form top order batsman and probably an injury or two.

Nevin was mildly hard done by without getting a contract but show some faith in Austin-Smellie ffs, oh sorry Smith hasn't even seen him before.

Blocky

Banned
It was never on the level with Adam Parore but then in his day, Parore was easily the best keeper in the world with only Boucher coming close.

The idea that people have around the wicket keeping portion being more important than the batting is wrong in my view. A world class batsman who is a domestic class wicket keeper is far more important than a class keeper, you can train keeping skills far easier than batting skills.

Take Matt Prior vs Chris Read as an example.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hopkins is arguably the best wicketkeeper batsman in the country based on domestic form. It's a lottery to who will be able to actually step up to the next level.

Mike5181

International Captain
Nevin isn't where he was even a few years ago though, it was atrocious. Was talking about how Nevin was a responsible player, how he was an excellent bat and then the next ball he skies one and Wellington are left in the wreckage.

Nevin wouldn't even be playing if not for the complete lack of Black Caps, in-form top order batsman and probably an injury or two.

Nevin was mildly hard done by without getting a contract but show some faith in Austin-Smellie ffs, oh sorry Smith hasn't even seen him before.
Chris Nevin is like 35 now or something he is in the twilight of his career anyway.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopkins is arguably the best wicketkeeper batsman in the country based on domestic form. It's a lottery to who will be able to actually step up to the next level.
Judging from what I saw in my first look at Van Wyk in his game against Auckland, I'm scared that he's considered right up there.

I hope it was just an off day with both bat and gloves.

Blocky

Banned
Hopkins has never shown that ability beyond the domestic level though and the high degree of not outs he accumulated over the last few years inflated his average. The best wicket keeper batsman is McCullum, the second best is probably Watling, the third being McGlashan or Young.

24 international innings for Hopkins, not one score over 50.

Mike5181

International Captain
Hopkins has never shown that ability beyond the domestic level though and the high degree of not outs he accumulated over the last few years inflated his average. The best wicket keeper batsman is McCullum, the second best is probably Watling, the third being McGlashan or Young.

24 international innings for Hopkins, not one score over 50.
What is Reece Young like?
Is he talented and just under performs (like McCullum stats wise) or just average?

Mike5181

International Captain
Judging from what I saw in my first look at Van Wyk in his game against Auckland, I'm scared that he's considered right up there.

I hope it was just an off day with both bat and gloves.
Ditto. We are all scared now.

Blocky

Banned
Young is more in the model of Robbie Hart than any other keeper we've had recently. He's a very gritty player who makes the most of his talent by batting with application. Generally you have to get him out rather than watch him throw his wicket away.

I'd prefer BJ Watling to be in the side for two reasons. A: He has one of the best techniques in NZ cricket when things are working well. B: He's only 25, representing a much younger option than anyone else who is mentioned except McGlashan.

Mike5181

International Captain
Young is more in the model of Robbie Hart than any other keeper we've had recently. He's a very gritty player who makes the most of his talent by batting with application. Generally you have to get him out rather than watch him throw his wicket away.

I'd prefer BJ Watling to be in the side for two reasons. A: He has one of the best techniques in NZ cricket when things are working well. B: He's only 25, representing a much younger option than anyone else who is mentioned except McGlashan.
Oh k i was just asking because a lot of players have a lot of potential that doesn't come out until they play on the international stage. Yeah i would go with Watling as well. At least
they could train him with the gloves for six months and he would still be a decade younger than Hopkins and more talented with the bat.