• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jadeja should make the squad atleast. His good solid consistent contributions are often overlooked simply because of his disastrous T20 abilities and his ****up in the 175 game. That and he has the most punchable face ever.
Think Ashwin's overtaken him now in the role he was playing, but if Yusuf gets picked ahead of him I'll be disappointed.

Blaze 18

Banned
India are getting their own back for the absolute hammering they recieved at the hands of the Kiwis in 2002-2003. If I recall correctly, India were 0-4 down in the ODI series before Zaheer Khan helped India to a consolation win in the fifth ODI. The relief was palpable - the headlines next day were "Zaheer shows it 'Khan' be done". I think it was a seven match series that New Zealand won 5-2.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Franklin!!

One of those players that a part of me always wants to see have just one more chance.

Pity about the rest of the performance though...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Also, Flopkins is the main reason Franklin can't get into the test and ODI team. Franklin is not a good enough bowler* to be third seamer in either form and we can't fit him in as a lower order (6/7/8) batsman who bowls a bit because we also have to carry the non-batting Hop-bunny.

Was interested to see Van Wyk bat for the first time in the recent 2020s - obviously putting a lot of hope that he or Young or someone can be a decent keeper-batsman for us in all forms after Hopkins is dropped. Can only get a vague idea of how good he could be from a short 2020 innings but wasn't overly impressed. In fact his batting somehow reminded me of Hopkins. Ugh.

* or rather, he's inconsistent and when he's bad he's awful

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watching Stuart Broad in the Ashes makes me wonder why Southee hasn't developed as much as Broad has. When they both debuted I thought Southee looked better than Broad, but Broad has modified his action a bit, picked up a bit of pace and turned into a decent bowler. Southee's action has also changed and at times he get his pace up a bit, but in general he hasn't performed that well and he still averages 43.

There was that thread a while back on 'which young fast bowler will have the best career' and Southee was talked up by quite a few people while Broad was criticised as being the least promising of the lot. Ishant Sharma has always been a bit ahead of Southee while it's hard to compare him to those who aren't regular test seamers for their country at the moment like Wayne Parnell.

I'm clearly being too impatient because NZ bowling stocks are so weak at the moment, and I know that's it's the next 5-10 years that really matter for these bowlers more than how they're performing right now when they're 21 or 22, but I wonder if Southee might be slipping behind and why. Coaching? Player management? Individual players' personalities?

Mike5181

International Captain
Also, Flopkins is the main reason Franklin can't get into the test and ODI team. Franklin is not a good enough bowler* to be third seamer in either form and we can't fit him in as a lower order (6/7/8) batsman who bowls a bit because we also have to carry the non-batting Hop-bunny.

Was interested to see Van Wyk bat for the first time in the recent 2020s - obviously putting a lot of hope that he or Young or someone can be a decent keeper-batsman for us in all forms after Hopkins is dropped. Can only get a vague idea of how good he could be from a short 2020 innings but wasn't overly impressed. In fact his batting somehow reminded me of Hopkins. Ugh.

* or rather, he's inconsistent and when he's bad he's awful
Yeah i must admit i was calling for Hopkin's head as well but Van Wyk wouldn't be much of an improvement. Thoughts on Reece Young? I haven't seen much of him either. Is he a talented batsmen who under performs(like McCullum stats wise?) or just an average batsmen?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Man, if I was B J Watling, I'd chomping at the bit to get some wicket-keeping gloves on. If he proved to be half-decent with the gloves, he'd surely establish himself as a permanent fixture.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
No game at Chennai, boys.. Will be a 4 match series.. Been raining non stop for 2 weeks and no signs of letting up this week either. Can't have a match and can't get our first view yet of the renovated Chepauk.. :(

Mike5181

International Captain
Man, if I was B J Watling, I'd chomping at the bit to get some wicket-keeping gloves on. If he proved to be half-decent with the gloves, he'd surely establish himself as a permanent fixture.
Hardout, if i was a good batsmen in NZ with part time experience as a keeper i would be practicing day and night. People like Watling and even Broom we neeeeeed (If they magically got better at keeping).

Mike5181

International Captain
No game at Chennai, boys.. Will be a 4 match series.. Been raining non stop for 2 weeks and no signs of letting up this week either. Can't have a match and can't get our first view yet of the renovated Chepauk.. :(
Probably not a bad thing for the series i guess, another embarrassing defeat could be missed :laugh: