• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, frankly I am haha. You have to look at this series and ask a question like 'What would the expected result be?'. Seeing as though it was played in India (which really suits the Indian line up), India are the no.1 ranked team, and it was against the lowly ranked NZ team, I think the expected result would either be 3-0 to India or perhaps 2-0 to India. Seeing as though the result was only 1-0 to India (with two legitimate draws - i.e. weather didn't force the result), points have to be deducted - because India performed below expectations. 1 point being deducted doesn't reflect how much India peformed below expectations imo.
I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, just laughing at our different reactions.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, Without doubt one of the most sensitive posters on the forum, You started all this with your incredibly defensive reaction when I replied to a post(by someone else) stating I'll be surprised if India win in SA due to their bowlers. You then made some utterly irrelevant comment about how they'd had no trouble winning against Australia in India to which I'd never doubted. If you agree it's unlikely India will win in SA,(or Aust) then we're effectively arguing whether it's their batting or bowling & I think it's strange that you'd think the latter considering it's supposed to be the best batting lineup in the world.

Many question whether India have a bowling attack with the penetration to win in SA or Aust, and it's a perfectly reasonable question, certainly not one that deserves a childish eye-roll expression as if I'd said something outrageous.

Let's be real about this, if I raised the question as to whether the current Australian bowling line-up had an attack to win in India, I doubt many Aussies would jump in with eye-rolls & make a song & dance about it.
Don't really care if you call me names tbh, but if you're wrong I'm going to call you on it.

Just happened that 4 other posters or so happened to believe the same thing I did, and call you on it as well.

Australia's bowling conditions aren't friendly to Sreesanth and Zaheer. But South Africa's is. Not hard to understand really.

Ruckus

International Captain
I'm not saying you're wrong necessarily, just laughing at our different reactions.
Oh... well, ok then. I interpreted the "Incredible" as being incredibly sarcastic, but perhaps Larry David has made me too cynical...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Lol, You are saying he's wrong aren't you
No, because twice now Deus has pointed out methods in the system which I was unaware. I remember saying for sure that the system took into account home and away and I'm fairly certain Deus showed me that it didn't. When we won the series yesterday I was certain we'd increase our gap considering SA look like they'll draw to the lowly Pakistan, but that's not the case.

I don't believe you should lose points for a win series at any time, but if the system is consistent overall it won't bother me.

Ruckus

International Captain
Watching Freak Book as we speak.
haha I found that episode so bizarre. I watched 'Trick or Treat' last night, has to be one of my favourite episodes. "Are you Jewish?" LD: "Wanna check my penis?" :laugh:

I could just hear Larry saying that line
haha yeah, I'm sure he must have said that verbatim at least a couple of times.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Best bit of Trick or Treat is Larry David talking to the bald policeman.

"Bald Asshole... this is a hate crime"

Hilarious

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really care if you call me names tbh, but if you're wrong I'm going to call you on it.
Hardly name-calling tbf & I just hope that if SA do win a test you don't claim it was entirely due to their batting if it was actually a combination of both.

Ruckus

International Captain
Best bit of Trick or Treat is Larry David talking to the bald policeman.

"Bald Asshole... this is a hate crime"

Hilarious
The whole episode is great, but the storyline is ingenious and weaves together so well. It reminds me of Woody Allen (who I think LD has been heavily influenced by).

Jono said:
I don't believe you should lose points for a win series at any time, but if the system is consistent overall it won't bother me.
I have to disagree with that. Because theoretically in a 5 match series between India and Zimbabwe, if the result was 1-0 (India), then it would be ridiculous for India to not lose points. A 1-0 result is far, far, far below the expected result, and points should be deducted accordingly. The ideal ranking system needs to correspond with, as closely as possible, the expected results of matches (like what bookies compile). That means taking into account home and away conditions etc. A proper ranking system should be pretty complicated...prettaaay, prettaaay, pretty complicated.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A decent but not great NZL side beat Pakistan in Pak back in 96.The 90's Pakistan side was very much prone to collapses also a side involving Malik, Wasim and Ejaz could never be trusted especially when the betting odds favored them.
why let facts get in the way of good ol' India-bashing based on everything other than facts? :p

Shri

Mr. Glass
I have to disagree with that. Because theoretically in a 5 match series between India and Zimbabwe, if the result was 1-0 (India), then it would be ridiculous for India to not lose points. A 1-0 result is far, far, far below the expected result, and points should be deducted accordingly. The ideal ranking system needs to correspond with, as closely as possible, the expected results of matches (like what bookies compile). That means taking into account home and away conditions etc. A proper ranking system should be pretty complicated.
I would say Zimbabwe should get more points than usual rather than India losing some in that scenario.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not at all, I was referring to our earlier discussion re the tour to SA & I had said I'll be extremely surprised if India consistently get 20 wickets against them & it was you who randomly mentioned their win against Australia in India .Suggest you read those posts again.

In regards to the India/NZ result, I'd already told you which sides I think would have beaten a bottom-ranked side more comfortably.

And we already told you why they won't... :dry:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair I think we played much better than our ranking suggests - in the first two games, anyway.
It would just be SO SO nice if people understand that rankings and averages ONLY show you what one has done SO FAR and never what they are gonna do... Of course, it is possible for NZ to play like world champions for 2 tests and a minnow in the next test and their actual level may well be something in between... As I often say, real cricket matches don't go the way the sims will want them to go... This is just the most ridiculous argument I have read on CW, and there have been MANY.... :)

Ruckus

International Captain
I would say Zimbabwe should get more points than usual rather than India losing some in that scenario.
Na, because that assumes Zimbabwe have peformed well, and India have just performed normally. I would suggest both Zimbabwe should get points, and India should be deducted points, because you can't really know whether the result was due to one team playing well or one playing badly etc. It all should be centred around what it the expected result. Let's just say it is 4-0 (India). If the result is 1-0 (India), then that is a negative deviation away from the expected result for India and requires deductions. Vice versa for Zimbabwe.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The whole episode is great, but the storyline is ingenious and weaves together so well. It reminds me of Woody Allen (who I think LD has been heavily influenced by).

I have to disagree with that. Because theoretically in a 5 match series between India and Zimbabwe, if the result was 1-0 (India), then it would be ridiculous for India to not lose points. A 1-0 result is far, far, far below the expected result, and points should be deducted accordingly. The ideal ranking system needs to correspond with, as closely as possible, the expected results of matches (like what bookies compile). That means taking into account home and away conditions etc. A proper ranking system should be pretty complicated...prettaaay, prettaaay, pretty complicated.
Disagree. Chelsea don't lose points when they win 1-0 in the last minute of stoppage time against some ****ty random EPL team (Ipswich or Portsmouth or whatever), even if they were predicted by the bookies to win 4-0.

You play to win a series at the end of the day.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, frankly I am haha. You have to look at this series and ask a question like 'What would the expected result be?'. Seeing as though it was played in India (which really suits the Indian line up), India are the no.1 ranked team, and it was against the lowly ranked NZ team, I think the expected result would either be 3-0 to India or perhaps 2-0 to India. Seeing as though the result was only 1-0 to India (with two legitimate draws - i.e. weather didn't force the result), points have to be deducted - because India performed below expectations. 1 point being deducted doesn't reflect how much India peformed below expectations imo.
who decides these expectations? And shouldn't Australia have lost something like a 1500 points since 2007 then???????