• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Ruckus

International Captain
This just highlights the travesty that is the current ranking system:

"The world number one India with 129 points, given their huge difference with the Kiwis (80) at the start of the series, lost one rating point despite the triumph."

Surely two draws between the top ranked team (playing at home!) and one win against the lowly ranked NZ team should result in more than 1 point being deducted? But of course the current system doesn't even take into account the home or away situation of a game...ridiculous.

Blocky

Banned

"The world number one India with 129 points, given their huge difference with the Kiwis (80) at the start of the series, lost one rating point despite the triumph."

Surely two draws between the top ranked team (playing at home!) and one win against the lowly ranked NZ team should result in more than 1 point being deducted? But of course the current system doesn't even take into account the home or away situation of a game...ridiculous.
I liked the older system. Two points for a win, one for a draw, home and away series counted.

Flem274*

123/5
Brent Arnel deserves a sustained run in the side, he's a tall bowler who hits the deck hard, generates decent pace and has a good brain on him.

I felt he was unlucky not to get a few wickets in the first innings and looked the most threatening of the bowlers for certain periods in that game, put him on a more condusive pitch to his style of bowling and he deserves a run - he's also not the worst tail ender to have with the bat.

Beyond that, lets just hope that amongst Wagner, Milne, Mathieson, Verma, Wheeler etc that one of these guys can step up in the next few years and add some penetration to this attack.

Re: Southee, someone needs to help him with his bowling action - he's got beautiful seam presentation but his bowling action is too lazy, not enough mongrel in the arm and not really driving up and over the front leg meaning he's not generating the bounce a guy of his height could generate.
Trent Boult another if he can stay injury free. Always loved watching him bowl for the under 19s.

Bit of a wait for those guys though as only Wagner has played a decent amount of games, but he'll qualify in 2012 anyway. Will be some good competition for spots though in the coming years.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

Actually, it's questionable that any points should be deducted at all. A 1-0 win is a 1-0 win. Given this ridiculous situation, I can see why the BCCI seems to want to play the top ranked teams more often instead of risking losing points for series wins against the lower half ones.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Haha what?

When I read that India had lost points I was surprised, and you're saying they should lose more?

Incredible.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Actually, it's questionable that any points should be deducted at all. A 1-0 win is a 1-0 win. Given this ridiculous situation, I can see why the BCCI seems to want to play the top ranked teams more often instead of risking losing points for series wins against the lower half ones.
Hear hear.

Lol at the thought of just smashing teams 3-0 at home should be a piece of cake. This is ****ing test cricket FFS.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hear hear.

Lol at the thought of just smashing teams 3-0 at home should be a piece of cake. This is ****ing test cricket FFS.
To be fair mate, I can think of a number of sides in the last 20 years or so that would consistently smash lowly ranked team such as the current NZ team 3-0 at home (weather permitting) without even raising a sweat & they were playing 'Test Cricket' too.

Briony

International Debutant
At least India has made a better fist of playing against the lowly-ranked team with a victory. Unlike SA who have not justified their #2 ranking in the series against Pakistan.

Zinzan

Australia 2000s and WI 80s, unsurprisingly all-time great teams.

Name the rest.
Easy, SA & Pakistan sides for most of the 90s (and early 2000s in SA's case) & England 2004+ would have comfortably won 2-0 (if not 3-0) weather permitting against an 8th ranked test side. Remembering of course NZ were a much better test side between 98-2004 than they are now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Easy, SA & Pakistan sides for most of the 90s (and early 2000s in SA's case) & England 2004+ would have comfortably won 2-0 (if not 3-0) weather permitting against an 8th ranked test side. Remembering of course NZ were a much better test side between 98-2004 than they are now.
No, I think NZ woudl have done 1-0 against all the said teams.. Prove me wrong.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
2-0 isn't 3-0, so either you think they'd have won all tests, or not.

Secondly, Pakistan lost tests at home to mediocre sides often, even in the 90s.

Thirdly, saying SA would have won at home implying on green tracks/friendly bowling conditions is a silly comparison considering the type of wickets that occurred in the first two tests were not turning tracks. They were bore draw wickets. The minute there was something in it for the bowlers NZ crumbled.

90s Pakistan could have easily not won a test in those first two test matches.

Last edited:

Zinzan

2-0 isn't 3-0, so either you think they'd have won all tests, or not.

Secondly, Pakistan lost tests at home to mediocre sides often, even in the 90s.

Thirdly, saying SA would have won at home implying on green tracks/friendly bowling conditions is a silly comparison considering the type of wickets that occurred in the first two tests were not turning tracks. They were bore draw wickets. The minute there was something in it for the bowlers NZ crumbled.

90s Pakistan could have easily not won a test in those first two test matches.
As I said, the proof will be in the pudding when the SA series starts & hope you did read my earlier post where I pointing out I never questioned that India would struggle to beat Aust in India as you seemed to imply.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How does the SA tour have anything to do with whether other teams would have beaten NZ 3-0? It's absolutely irrelevant.

You're making all random arguments really, which are not related.

You think India will lose in SA? Okay, I do as well (though hope we don't).

You think India should have beat NZ 3-0 but didn't, and hence it proves they are poor. Okay, but on two flat tracks (and flat tracks are flat tracks whether its in Hyderabad, Adelaide, Napier etc.) I think 3-0 was very unlikely. Either way, it's got nothing to do with India going to SA and playing on seaming tracks.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I would back current Indian team to beat 90's Pakistan until or unless Wasim & Waqar had one of those games where they would be unplayable.

80's Pakistan versus current India would be a great battle Imran would raise his game by 10X just going by the fact that he was playing against the #1 ranked team.