• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saying "XYZ team from the past would have beaten this NZ team 3-0" is really not a stick to beat India with, one could easily point out the consistent results this Indian team have achieved over the last 3-4 years and it would stand comparison with any team over the last couple of decades bar the great Australian sides.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pak 80s and 90s vs. current India would be great.

But my point is that Pak 90s would not be a guaranteed 3-0 win over this NZ team, simply because a Pakistani flat track would result in a draw (like the first two tests) every now and then.

Winning every test at home when tracks like that are thrown up are friggin tough. People think getting 20 wickets on those things are easy just because a team isn't ranked highly.

vcs

BTW, I admit India do get too many draws for my liking and our bowling attack is often reduced to looking toothless for long periods, but we are managing to maximise our strengths and get good series results overall, which is the best we can do under the circumstances.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
:huh: One. A stress fracture in his back going back about 18 months ago.
It seems like such a lottery when people mention stress fractures. How does one come back from it. Is it related to: age, facilities, action, fitness - all of the above? Those are the questions this kid will be asking - all he can do is get stronger, keep training, recover and go from there - until it either happens again or doesn't.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Pak 80s and 90s vs. current India would be great.

But my point is that Pak 90s would not be a guaranteed 3-0 win over this NZ team, simply because a Pakistani flat track would result in a draw (like the first two tests) every now and then.

Winning every test at home when tracks like that are thrown up are friggin tough. People think getting 20 wickets on those things are easy just because a team isn't ranked highly.
A decent but not great NZL side beat Pakistan in Pak back in 96.The 90's Pakistan side was very much prone to collapses also a side involving Malik, Wasim and Ejaz could never be trusted especially when the betting odds favored them.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
BTW, I admit India do get too many draws for my liking and our bowling attack is often reduced to looking toothless for long periods, but we are managing to maximise our strengths and get good series results overall, which is the best we can do under the circumstances.
Yeah at the end of the day, no Indian fan is saying this team is better than 80s WI, 90s Aust and SA and 2000s Aust.

But they're the best going around now, followed closely by other teams.

They may not be the best in 12 months, who knows.

Zinzan

How does the SA tour have anything to do with whether other teams would have beaten NZ 3-0? It's absolutely irrelevant.

You're making all random arguments really, which are not related.
Not at all, I was referring to our earlier discussion re the tour to SA & I had said I'll be extremely surprised if India consistently get 20 wickets against them & it was you who randomly mentioned their win against Australia in India .Suggest you read those posts again.

In regards to the India/NZ result, I'd already told you which sides I think would have beaten a bottom-ranked side more comfortably.

vcs

Not at all, I was referring to our earlier discussion re the tour to SA & I had said I'll be extremely surprised if India consistently get 20 wickets against them & it was you who randomly mentioned their win against Australia in India .Suggest you read those posts again.

In regards to the India/NZ result, I'd already told you which sides I think would have beaten a bottom-ranked side more comfortably.
That may be so, but it only shows that those teams have different strengths and weaknesses, not that they are/were better than the current Indian team. Especially the example of England that you cited.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You couldn't predict whether 90s Pakistan actually would even try to win, let alone guarantee that they'd win 3-0, so that's rubbish.

South Africa early 2000s are possibly correct, but they'd only just get over the line if they had to play on such innocuous tracks. Donald by 2002 would have been easily handled on a pitch that was doing **** all.

Importantly though, very importantly, South Africa early 2000s and England 2004 aren't around any more. You're the one that says India can't be #1 with their bowling attack, yet that bowling attack keeps winning them test matches.

_Ed_

To be fair I think we played much better than our ranking suggests - in the first two games, anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, the failure for zinzan to realise that a team doesn't always play to their ranking is sticking out strongly here.

I could easily see a fantastic Martin spell in the first test not only picking up the top 5 Pakistani wickets in the 90s, but also the rest of the 5.

Test cricket ain't played on paper.

Flem274*

123/5
Almost wish Martin had saved that up for more helpful conditions against lesser batting tbh. Would have been great at Wellington against Australia's newfound ability to collapse in a heap.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah, had he come up against North instead of Laxman he could easily have gotten 6-8 wickets. Was bowling such good inswing.

Zinzan

Yeah, the failure for zinzan to realise that a team doesn't always play to their ranking is sticking out strongly here.

I could easily see a fantastic Martin spell in the first test not only picking up the top 5 Pakistani wickets in the 90s, but also the rest of the 5.

Test cricket ain't played on paper.
I'm sorry, but I watched those first two tests closely & flat wickets or not, India's bowling attack was incredibly toothless for a no.1 side even despite the fact NZ played above themselves, In regards to NZ crumbling in the 3rd test,I don't agree it was simply a case of 'a little bit in the wicket', but more-so a return to the typically spineless NZ batting display we've seen against virtually every other side in the world in recent years where we lose upwards of 4-5 wickets per session.

I think the true failure here is your inability to realize that until India can actually win a series in SA & Australia they won't be regarded as a great cricket team anywhere outside of India, whether you like it or not. I'm not sure why you're doubting yourself that they can win in SA anyways, considering SA managed a drawn in India, why would you doubt they can win? It's not the same reason I have being their bowling attack is it?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha link me to a post where I seriously call India a great team please.

**** you're just like aussie, have all-time greatness as a benchmark for #1 ranking. Woeful. #1 does not equal great. How hard is it to understand? Jeez.

Seems like the minute aussie was banned you came back claiming this rubbish.

And no, like 5 posters explictly told you, saying India's bowling attack is our worry against South Africa is stupid. I also said that, so why would I think that? I fear that Raina, Gambhir and Dhoni will struggle. I have no concerns that we will lose because of our bowling.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Haha what?

When I read that India had lost points I was surprised, and you're saying they should lose more?

Incredible.
Yeah, frankly I am haha. You have to look at this series and ask a question like 'What would the expected result be?'. Seeing as though it was played in India (which really suits the Indian line up), India are the no.1 ranked team, and it was against the lowly ranked NZ team, I think the expected result would either be 3-0 to India or perhaps 2-0 to India. Seeing as though the result was only 1-0 to India (with two legitimate draws - i.e. weather didn't force the result), points have to be deducted - because India performed below expectations. 1 point being deducted doesn't reflect how much India peformed below expectations imo.

Zinzan

Haha link me to a post where I seriously call India a great team please.

**** you're just like aussie, have all-time greatness as a benchmark for #1 ranking. Woeful. #1 does not equal great. How hard is it to understand? Jeez.

Seems like the minute aussie was banned you came back claiming this rubbish.

And no, like 5 posters explictly told you, saying India's bowling attack is our worry against South Africa is stupid. I also said that, so why would I think that? I fear that Raina, Gambhir and Dhoni will struggle. I have no concerns that we will lose because of our bowling.

Lol, Without doubt one of the most sensitive posters on the forum, You started all this with your incredibly defensive reaction when I replied to a post(by someone else) stating I'll be surprised if India win in SA due to their bowlers. You then made some utterly irrelevant comment about how they'd had no trouble winning against Australia in India to which I'd never doubted. If you agree it's unlikely India will win in SA,(or Aust) then we're effectively arguing whether it's their batting or bowling & I think it's strange that you'd think the latter considering it's supposed to be the best batting lineup in the world.

Many question whether India have a bowling attack with the penetration to win in SA or Aust, and it's a perfectly reasonable question, certainly not one that deserves a childish eye-roll expression as if I'd said something outrageous.

Let's be real about this, if I raised the question as to whether the current Australian bowling line-up had an attack to win in India, I doubt many Aussies would jump in with eye-rolls & make a song & dance about it.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Let's be real about this, if I raised the question as to whether the current Australian bowling line-up had an attack to win in India, I doubt many Aussies would jump in with eye-rolls & make a song & dance about it.
WTF? Of course Australia has a good enough bowling line-up to win in India. What the hell is wrong with you, asshole.8-)

Edit: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)