• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

DingDong

State Captain
I'm really proud of the NZ team for what they did in the first two games - that was no fluke. It was an amazing effort.

Sure, things went to poo in the third game, but that happens to all but the very best teams from time to time - they all have a nightmare game every now and then.

We have a lot to work with. I just hope we have the right people to work with our rising talent.

agreed. there is a lot to be proud of for the team.
some great talent coming through as well. just need to give the younger guys like williamson, southee and patel as much playing time as possible so they can take it to the next level :)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, how the hell are we going to get 20 wickets in the most bowler friendly conditions in the world 8-)

We got 20 wickets there last time, we can do it again. We may not win, but lol @ the idea that our bowling attack will be our concern.
If India bat well enough in the conditions to get themselves into a situation where the only thing that stands between them winning and drawing is taking twenty wickets, they will almost certainly win IMO.

That's not to say that their bowling won't cost them, but if it does it'll be a matter more of "conceding too many runs per wicket given the conditions" than not being able to take twenty wickets in time.
My thoughts exactly..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Despite all the criticism he's received in the last week or so, Vettori actually had a decent series with the ball. Certainly was the best of the spinners in the series with 14 wickets @ 36 vs. Harby's 10 @ 42 & Ojha's 12 @ 37, no mean feat considering he had to bowl to the their batsmen & them to ours.
Exactly. Vettori's bowling getting a ridiculous amount of criticism, seeing as he had to bowl to that batting lineup on generally very unhelpful pitches.

So, two steps forward and one giant leap backwards for this series.

Positives:
McCullum - vastly exceeded expectations as a batsman. Needs to continue to bat aggressively in that role and not listen to the pillocks (me included sometimes) who might complain when he gets caught behind trying to wallop a short wide one.
Martin - Many wondered if he would be any use this season, or whether he'd be eclipsed by the rather mediocre pack of other seamers we have. But put in very consistent performances, bowled lots of overs plus one incredible spell.
Ryder - man, he is good. However recurring injuries and that lingering feeling that he'll do something stupid off-field are less good.
Williamson - Disappointing last test but a hundred and a fifty in his first series is excellent.

Negatives:
That number 3 spot - Guptill and Watling both lacking at present. But hey, at least we're not complaining about the entire top 3 for a change.
Seam bowlers - This series hasn't brought NZ any closer to working out what our rebuilt bowling attack is supposed to look like. Apart from Martin, only Southee bowled many overs, with mixed results. Arnel and McKay both only had one innings and Bennett only half an innings. I assume we'll know more after the Pakistan series in more seam-friendly conditions.
Hopkins and Patel - played like Hopkins and Patel.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

I'd say McKay looks like NZ's best option out of Southee, Arnel and er.. McKay. Very impressed with the way he bowled.
Quite possibly - he's my new left handed Chris Martin.

Otoh... Arnel was relatively impressive against Australia last season and loves a pitch with seam movement, while we are led to believe Tim Southee is THE FUTURE... so I'm unsure who should play against Pakistan. There's always the possibility of a bolter from domestic cricket too*.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think the question of 'how to manage Southee' is the most important and difficult one the selectors have to face.

* or a return to the mediocrity of Tuffey or Mills, both of whom could be effective against Pakistan at home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm really proud of the NZ team for what they did in the first two games - that was no fluke. It was an amazing effort.

Sure, things went to poo in the third game, but that happens to all but the very best teams from time to time - they all have a nightmare game every now and then.

We have a lot to work with. I just hope we have the right people to work with our rising talent.
AWTA.. NZ are a good side in the making. Just need to sort out their bowling and find themselves a semi decent attacking spinner.

Blaze 18

Banned
Simon Taufel clearly had the worst day of his umpiring career. It just goes to show that umpires have their bad days too.

New Zealand can go back with their heads high. Nobody expected them to draw even a single game, they managed two. Well done New Zealand :)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You can give it to me now if you like.

I've read the same posts from you and the Indian bowling attack ad nauseum. Not sure you conceded after we beat Australia 2-0 though, taking 20 wickets each time.
Load of rubbish Jono, I never once said they would struggle to get 20 wickets against Aust in INDIA, that would be a ludicrious thing to say when they're playing at home in suitable conditions, so don't fabricate things. What I have said (ad nauseum) is I don't rate their bowling attack overseas (and that they have the weakest bowling attack of any no 1 side ever), so lets stick to this tour of SA & I will will be returning your childish condescending eye-roll if indeed they do struggle to take wickets there. I like the way you try to make it sound like I'm being totally unreasonable on my criticism of their bowling line-up when even Indian fans (as well as many others) were ridiculing their bowling attack recently when they played 8th ranked NZ. Also, when was the last time they did win a test series in either Aust or SA? exactly, so it's hardly outrageous that I've suggested I'd be surprised if they win. So let's just wait to see what happens Mr 'no-one's allowed to criticize the Indian cricket team'

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Makes it a little mind boggling why McKay wasn't bowling in the first Test, the Bennett selection was just so very peculiar.

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Perhaps once Ryder realises how much money he could make in the IPL he'll do something about his shocking fitness record - stop eating so many pies and get into shape.

A team is not going to fork out 500k for an 'athlete' who pulls an abdominal or calf muscle when eating *ahem* playing a shot.

Bet Bond would want to kill this kid.

Blocky

Banned
Brent Arnel deserves a sustained run in the side, he's a tall bowler who hits the deck hard, generates decent pace and has a good brain on him.

I felt he was unlucky not to get a few wickets in the first innings and looked the most threatening of the bowlers for certain periods in that game, put him on a more condusive pitch to his style of bowling and he deserves a run - he's also not the worst tail ender to have with the bat.

Beyond that, lets just hope that amongst Wagner, Milne, Mathieson, Verma, Wheeler etc that one of these guys can step up in the next few years and add some penetration to this attack.

Re: Southee, someone needs to help him with his bowling action - he's got beautiful seam presentation but his bowling action is too lazy, not enough mongrel in the arm and not really driving up and over the front leg meaning he's not generating the bounce a guy of his height could generate.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Brent Arnel deserves a sustained run in the side, he's a tall bowler who hits the deck hard, generates decent pace and has a good brain on him.

I felt he was unlucky not to get a few wickets in the first innings and looked the most threatening of the bowlers for certain periods in that game, put him on a more condusive pitch to his style of bowling and he deserves a run - he's also not the worst tail ender to have with the bat.

Beyond that, lets just hope that amongst Wagner, Milne, Mathieson, Verma, Wheeler etc that one of these guys can step up in the next few years and add some penetration to this attack.

Re: Southee, someone needs to help him with his bowling action - he's got beautiful seam presentation but his bowling action is too lazy, not enough mongrel in the arm and not really driving up and over the front leg meaning he's not generating the bounce a guy of his height could generate.
Yea Southee's a bit of a worry, he really hasn't kicked on since coming from U19's, not sure if it was just the Indian heat but he seem's to have lost pace too, he used to be up in the 135-140kph regularly now he's only getting in the 125-130kph zone. What's happened? didn't the some 'genius' tinker with his action when he came into the NZ team?

Blocky

Banned
Southee's action is a bit worrying in general because it just looks so weak through the ball, minimal load up, minimal jump, arm just floats over the top. You would hope coaching staff see all that and try to work on it

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Southee's action is a bit worrying in general because it just looks so weak through the ball, minimal load up, minimal jump, arm just floats over the top. You would hope coaching staff see all that and try to work on it
I was watching Auckland play last week and Southee reminds me a lot of Tuffey - he ambles to the crease, loads up much like his run up (i.e. easy), then follows through as if he doesn't want to be hit on the top of the head with a straight drive back at him.

Aggression, mongrel, arrogance - call it what you like - but he has none of it and it grates me.