• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
I dunno about bad for the team, that's a stretch

He is certainly good at bowling long, innocuous spells, taking soft wickets when the horse has bolted, and scoring runs when we are getting flogged. So I guess the issue isn't so much whether he is bad, but whether he is good.
Scoring runs when we are getting flogged is a good thing? Im thinking his hundred vs Pakistan, his Bangladesh effort, runs vs Sri Lanka.

NZ Guy

U19 Captain
Exact opposite of what I was saying

He's played about 1000000 games, I'm sure he did something useful once or twice
Yea I was stating that it is a good thing, didn't word it well. Still reckon does a fantastic job for NZ, he's not a strike bowler as he can't spin it anymore, I'd say the problem is the bowlers around him not him, can anyone get his stats with Bond? Im no good on statsguru

thierry henry

International Coach
Yea I was stating that it is a good thing
I'm not suggesting it's ever a bad thing to score runs or take wickets, but he does a lot of good stuff when we are obviously going to lose, or when e.g. the opposition is obviously going to make 500 (whether 500 all out or 500/5 declared). Ultimately that stuff is irrelevant compared to his many poor performances when we had a chance of winning.

Still reckon does a fantastic job for NZ, he's not a strike bowler as he can't spin it anymore, I'd say the problem is the bowlers around him not him, can anyone get his stats with Bond? Im no good on statsguru
I completely disagree and tbh I don't reckon his stats with Bond (which I don't know but assume are good) prove anything. Could give various reasons for that, overall I just don't think it's feasible that Vettori would overall be more successful with better bowlers around him, but I can easily say how it might happen if he did occasionally. How many bowlers in test history have essentially been defensive, containing bowlers, but have been long term prolific wicket takers because they had good bowlers around them? People always bring this up but realistically it doesn't happen, at least not long term.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would be massively surprised if India beat South Africa over there and doubt it'd be nearly as close as when SA toured India. I just can't see their bowlers getting 20 wickets consistently in those conditions.
Yeah, how the hell are we going to get 20 wickets in the most bowler friendly conditions in the world 8-)

We got 20 wickets there last time, we can do it again. We may not win, but lol @ the idea that our bowling attack will be our concern.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not suggesting it's ever a bad thing to score runs or take wickets, but he does a lot of good stuff when we are obviously going to lose, or when e.g. the opposition is obviously going to make 500 (whether 500 all out or 500/5 declared). Ultimately that stuff is irrelevant compared to his many poor performances when we had a chance of winning.
I reckon it's just a bit of a coincidence, with his batting anyway. He's a good Test batsman these days. Hate his bowling all you wish - I'm largely with you there - but his batting numbers can't be denied.

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder is out of the ODIs. Watling will probably get a recall imo.

Just saw the Guptill dismissal. Meh, would have gotten out anyway. Was pretty hilarious umpiring. I think karma is telling him to **** off and actually score some runs for Auckland.:p

Taylor's turned down plumb lbw and his howler of a decision for that catch were pretty funny.

Flem274*

123/5
I've just remembered I've won a bet.

Time to think of the avatar that would kick SS in the balls the most. This is the one time an NZer will get it over these Indian ****s in the series.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, how the hell are we going to get 20 wickets in the most bowler friendly conditions in the world 8-)

We got 20 wickets there last time, we can do it again. We may not win, but lol @ the idea that our bowling attack will be our concern.
We'll see, happy to concede if I'm wrong, hope you'll do the same. If I am correct, can I return the condescending eye-roll?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We'll see, happy to concede if I'm wrong, hope you'll do the same. If I am correct, can I return the condescending eye-roll?
If India bat well enough in the conditions to get themselves into a situation where the only thing that stands between them winning and drawing is taking twenty wickets, they will almost certainly win IMO.

That's not to say that their bowling won't cost them, but if it does it'll be a matter more of "conceding too many runs per wicket given the conditions" than not being able to take twenty wickets in time.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm really proud of the NZ team for what they did in the first two games - that was no fluke. It was an amazing effort.

Sure, things went to poo in the third game, but that happens to all but the very best teams from time to time - they all have a nightmare game every now and then.

We have a lot to work with. I just hope we have the right people to work with our rising talent.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If India bat well enough in the conditions to get themselves into a situation where the only thing that stands between them winning and drawing is taking twenty wickets, they will almost certainly win IMO.

That's not to say that their bowling won't cost them, but if it does it'll be a matter more of "conceding too many runs per wicket given the conditions" than not being able to take twenty wickets in time.
I totally agree with you.
btw We got a hiding in this match- those were true indian conditions- good for batsmen the first 2-3 days and then favourable to spinners on the last 2-3 days. IMO the first two tests were played on pure batting surfaces just to make the matches last 5 days as the broadcasters probably didn't want to lose revenue due to early finishes

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You can give it to me now if you like.

I've read the same posts from you and the Indian bowling attack ad nauseum. Not sure you conceded after we beat Australia 2-0 though, taking 20 wickets each time.

masterblaster

International Captain
Really happy with our performance this game. This was a complete thrashing and I don't think I've seen India perform so well in quite some time. The bowlers worked together well, Ishant and Sreesanth came through and even Harbhajan who has been largely ineffective with the ball up until now came through too. Great performance that gives us plenty of momentum going to South Africa.