• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's slightly different with soccer though - people still watch the domestic game in most sports.
Panesar isn't some no name cricketer who's suddenly burst onto the scene though, he's got over 100 Test wickets to his name and has dropped out of favour in the last couple of years. Surely a bit of basic research on how he's done since he was last a Test regular isn't too much to ask?

There's a few guys in the Australian 17 who aren't household names in the UK but I'd be pretty embarrased if the Sky guys went on air and had no idea who the likes of Khawaja and Doherty played for.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Panesar isn't some no name cricketer who's suddenly burst onto the scene though, he's got over 100 Test wickets to his name and has dropped out of favour in the last couple of years. Surely a bit of basic research on how he's done since he was last a Test regular isn't too much to ask?

There's a few guys in the Australian 17 who aren't household names in the UK but I'd be pretty embarrased if the Sky guys went on air and had no idea who the likes of Khawaja and Doherty played for.
All very true. It's probably understandable, but still it's pretty stupid. Not really surprised given our lot, mind.

vcs

Gower IMO works far better as a presenter holding the coverage together. Atherton, Hussain, Lloyd and Holding are far better when it comes to the commentary aspect of things.
AWTA. Though I find Bumble a bit overrated. Gower is a really classy anchor, much like his batting must have been, I imagine.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
AWTA. Though I find Bumble a bit overrated. Gower is a really classy anchor, much like his batting must have been, I imagine.
I didn't used to like Bumble a great deal, but when you look past the fact that he's a bit of a clown, he's actually incredibly knowledgable and passionate about the game and that side of him has meant I've warmed to him quite a bit.

smash84

The Tiger King
Gower IMO works far better as a presenter holding the coverage together. Atherton, Hussain, Lloyd and Holding are far better when it comes to the commentary aspect of things.
hmmm.....now that I think about it you might be right. But his analysis is also quite decent. And the way he speaks is just awesome. Sounds so sophisticated.

benchmark00

You weren't sure who Mark Cosgrove played for, and he's played for Australia.

Given that more than likely Panesar won't be featured in the tests, and the fact Lawry is a ball by ball commentator, not sure how much of a big deal it is.

We'd all love everyone to know everything, but who cares if they don't. Seems like people just want the opportunity to say they know more about cricket than the commentators.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was thinking though, do any other sports have all their play-by-play called by former players? Players who go into the box are going to be less inclined to do research than a John Motson or a Barry Davies aren't they? Understandable really and it's obvious why cricket lends itself to such commentary.

Spikey

I liked how when Healy was talking about Doherty's selection, he said "good first class performance". No s. I'm sure he meant to add the S, but good first class performance is very true.

flibbertyjibber

Having listened to the C9 team during the A game i am glad we have the Sky lot to listen to over the next 6 weeks.Yes we have Botham with his stupid rants but at least there is Bumble to give us a laugh.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I like Botham, he is hilarious when he blows his top.
Takes a rare talent to state the bleedin' obvious with a genuine conviction that it hasn't occurred to everyone else.

Btw, for any UK readers who want to sample Tahnny, Bill, Richie, Tubby et al's take on things, apparently the ITV4 highlights will have 9's feed.