• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The "Channel 9 Commentary Is Hurting Brain" Thread

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez some ****s whinge about the most inane things. Who cares what county he now plays for? I didn't know it also, what does it actually matter?

Flem274*

123/5
Difference is you aren't paid a gazillion bucks to commentate on cricket. Channel 9 make themselves media embarrassments more than a few times a tour.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Difference is you aren't paid a gazillion bucks to commentate on cricket. Channel 9 make themselves media embarrassments more than a few times a tour.
I agree that the general standard of international cricket knowledge in the commentary box is absolutely terrible, but I don't think they should need to know which domestic teams all the touring players play for. It's not something that would really add to the coverage.

vcs

I agree that the general standard of international cricket knowledge in the commentary box is absolutely terrible, but I don't think they should need to know which domestic teams all the touring players play for. It's not something that would really add to the coverage.
AWTA. Thought that was a strange example TBH.

Flem274*

123/5
You'd think at least one of them would have picked it up in their research though.

Oh wait.

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Haha that's just the tip of the iceberg regarding what they don't know about touring teams.
Indeed. Bill Lawry admitted as much. While watching Bresnan bowl today Bill said it was the first time he'd seen him. Now Bresnan isn't exactly a newbie, he's played all forms of the game multiple times. And Bresnan's played Australia a few times in the limited overs forms, so even if Bill watched only the Aussie games he should have seen Bresnan. So Bill obviously just goes into an 8 month hibernation with his pigeons once his summer commentary stops.

Chappell and Greig have my respect in that regard - they obviously watch far more cricket than Lawry, Healy and probably Taylor too. Slats knows a little bit, Richie knows the English guys a bit but yep, the knowledge is pretty poor.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Indeed. Bill Lawry admitted as much. While watching Bresnan bowl today Bill said it was the first time he'd seen him.
Doesn't beat the time he asked who Grant Elliott was in his third game of the summer after actually doing ball-by-ball during his first.

benchmark00

You'd think at least one of them would have picked it up in their research though.

Oh wait.
Like Tony Grieg perhaps??

Bill Lawry's job isn't to provide a history of all players, his chief role within the commentary box is to call play by play.

benchmark00

Indeed. Bill Lawry admitted as much. While watching Bresnan bowl today Bill said it was the first time he'd seen him. Now Bresnan isn't exactly a newbie, he's played all forms of the game multiple times. And Bresnan's played Australia a few times in the limited overs forms, so even if Bill watched only the Aussie games he should have seen Bresnan. So Bill obviously just goes into an 8 month hibernation with his pigeons once his summer commentary stops.

Chappell and Greig have my respect in that regard - they obviously watch far more cricket than Lawry, Healy and probably Taylor too. Slats knows a little bit, Richie knows the English guys a bit but yep, the knowledge is pretty poor.
No, Bill said it was the first time he's seen him live, and not just on TV.

Flem274*

123/5
Like Tony Grieg perhaps??

Bill Lawry's job isn't to provide a history of all players, his chief role within the commentary box is to call play by play.
Which he sucks at anyway.

Look, they're not alone at failing (Ian Smith having no idea who Grant Elliott was on his test debut was even worse), but that doesn't excuse commentators globally for on the most part having nfi about anything and coming up with bull**** or resorting to cliches (they could really use a wicket here!).

Flem274*

123/5
The best bad call though definitely has to be Ian Chappell on Ross Taylor. Not because it was uninformed but it was an awesome diss.

"Who were his centuries against? I think he's probably been doing some average padding on minnows."

His two centuries were against England. Gunnest call.:happy:

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
Look, I know that Greig makes mistakes all the time and Richie is pretty fossilised, that Ian Chappell has NFI a fair bit of the time, and Bill Lawrie is a bit of a knob, but I grew up with these guys.

I've met Tony Greig in person and he is actually a lovely guy, I enjoy his anti-Aussie bias as much as Bill's pro-Aussie one.
Ritchie is an immportal and when he stops I won't know what has happened.
Bill is a Victorian - nuff said.
Ian Chappel is an old school hard arse and fiercely proud of it.

For Test matches, I'm AOK with the old school.

20-20 then bring in the newbies - they're more comfortable with the rock'n'roll.

One dayers, I don't really care except for world cup matches.

No shadow of a doubt Ritchie would be up there with the best as "someone who you'd love to have at your dinner party".

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Jeez some ****s whinge about the most inane things. Who cares what county he now plays for? I didn't know it also, what does it actually matter?
It's just another example of Sky being better - during the rain break yesterday the boys in the Sky studio were discussing if an of the Aussie n00bs might be in with a shout of being in the side at the Gabba - Rob Key brought up Ferguson's FC record and the fact he plays most of his cricket at Adelaide.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When watching international footy, the comms generally know who plays for what club. Now cricket is different as the international game is the pinnacle (it's debatable in football) but still, it's basic information that you can find easily. Commentators should do basic research IMO.

morgieb

When watching international footy, the comms generally know who plays for what club. Now cricket is different as the international game is the pinnacle (it's debatable in football) but still, it's basic information that you can find easily. Commentators should do basic research IMO.
It's slightly different with soccer though - people still watch the domestic game in most sports.

benchmark00

It's just another example of Sky being better - during the rain break yesterday the boys in the Sky studio were discussing if an of the Aussie n00bs might be in with a shout of being in the side at the Gabba - Rob Key brought up Ferguson's FC record and the fact he plays most of his cricket at Adelaide.
It's unfair to compare the two... much harder to remember what counties English ****s play for considering there's about 40million of them compared to Australia's six.