• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually watched him make his first one day 100 for Northern Districts a couple of years ago against Canterbury - a game in which Shane Bond was present. Two shots stood out for me that day (well three including a Peter McGlashan reverse sweep for six) One was a back foot punch of Bond for four which was his first scoring shot and a pull infront of square again of Bond for six that took him into the 90's.

His record at the Basin in both forms of the game is fantastic - and most would agree that it's easily the fastest pitch in the country. His 100 he scored there earlier this season he hit Mark Gillespie out of the attack in just three overs after Wellington decided they would test him with the short stuff - three sixes later and the experiment had failed.
Precisely the sort of thing I've heard on good authority about his ability to play off the back-foot

Riggins

International Captain
But the thing is, he doesn't have time to play the ball.

For example:
-Has he played 1 cover drive that went for 4 off a fast bowler in this series? He just taps them when he plays that shot, and it's not like he has any timing or placement either.
-He was completely late on one of Zaheer's deliveries, and it's not like he bowls thunderbolts.
-He attempted to play the Pull-Shot a few times and the ball just rolled straight to leg-side fielders without any power or placement.
-He played across the line a lot of times against balls that were heading towards his pads.

He looked pretty good against the spinners though.
You know a guy definitely can't bat when he's late on one delivery in a series, or doesn't middle every pull shot on tracks he's never even played on. Also what is he thinking trying to hit balls through the leg side that are heading towards his pads?? How has he not been dropped already?

TumTum

Banned
You know a guy definitely can't bat when he's late on one delivery in a series, or doesn't middle every pull shot on tracks he's never even played on. Also what is he thinking trying to hit balls through the leg side that are heading towards his pads?? How has he not been dropped already?
No need to ridicule my post, I'm not saying he isn't a good player. Just pointing out his deficiencies, for which there are many.

_Ed_

These deficiencies you think he has seem to keep changing as he disproves them.

Spikey

i think his name is a deficiency. i can't think of one good 'Kane' to play test cricket. history is clearly against him.

_Ed_

:huh: Please point it out for me...
A couple of weeks ago you said Kane lacked "gap finding ability", and...
Kane does posses a very good technique, but really he doesn't know how to use it. And I reckon it is something in your blood and something you are born with to be able to use your technique to the fullest and find the gaps and know the right shot to play.

Sorry but I just don't believe that someone as raw as Kane can develop his game and dominate bowlers. Not gonna happen.
I don't think he had any trouble finding gaps and dominating bowlers during his momentum-shifting knock yesterday.

Also interesting that you said there that Kane has a very good technique, but now you've decided he hasn't.

TumTum

Banned
_Ed_ said:
A couple of weeks ago you said Kane lacked "gap finding ability", and...
I refer you to my recent post which you quoted, I assume without reading:
For example:
-Has he played 1 cover drive that went for 4 off a fast bowler in this series? He just taps them when he plays that shot, and it's not like he has any timing or placement either.
-He was completely late on one of Zaheer's deliveries, and it's not like he bowls thunderbolts.
-He attempted to play the Pull-Shot a few times and the ball just rolled straight to leg-side fielders without any power or placement.
-He played across the line a lot of times against balls that were heading towards his pads.
I don't think he had any trouble finding gaps and dominating bowlers during his momentum-shifting knock yesterday.
Yes against the spinners he looked good (for which I said nothing about previously so don't bother with that again). But against the pace bowlers his gap finding ability was dire.

Also interesting that you said there that Kane has a very good technique, but now you've decided he hasn't.
I never said he doesn't have a good technique. But he just doesn't have the other abilities for which a batsmen must have, such as gap-finding ability & timing.

Agree with Howsie that he looks the best off the back-foot, I think we can clearly say it's his strength. But I think he is far better off the back-foot against the spinners rather than the pacers.

vcs

LOL, some ridiculous stuff here. The boy is clearly going to be a gem.

_Ed_

Which we would still be pretty happy with, and would put him up with the all-time great NZ batsmen. I'm not sure why you're trying to dampen our excitement.

TumTum

Banned
I have already said long ago he will be a big asset for NZ. Not trying to dampen your excitement, just don't like it when people say stuff like "OMG this kid amazing" when it is not really true (in general I mean, not really pointing at someone specific here).

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Yes against the spinners he looked good (for which I said nothing about previously so don't bother with that again). But against the pace bowlers his gap finding ability was dire.
He scored 20 of 29 balls against the pace bowlers yesterday.....

I never said he doesn't have a good technique. But he just doesn't have the other abilities for which a batsmen must have, such as gap-finding ability & timing.
Yep, back here in New Zealand he actually made his name for the way he would bludgeon attacks around the ground and his abilty to hit the long ball :sleep:

Shri

Mr. Glass
I heard Danny Morrison(or was it one of the Indian commentators?) in the first test say he plays table tennis regularly to train his eye for pace bowling and his hand-eye co-ordination(the others known to do it were Viv Richards and Tendulkar). They said he was very good in playing both pace and spin in FC cricket. The little tat I have seen of him don't seem to be contrary to anything that was said. Looks rock solid at the crease. Could be the next Dravid.

Last edited:

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Making a career judgement call on a players technique after seeing them play in one style of condition is laughable.

Reports from numerous sources around NZ confirm that this kid is a fantastic alround batsman - back foot, front foot, nurdling for ones and twos and hitting fast bowlers out of the ground.

Some clown reckons after seeing him bat that he doesn't have the skills to deal with the fast bowlers can go take a dive. Ever heard of players adapting their play to the conditions and status of the match? They put away the risky shots because the conditions don't allow them to play their natural game.

This kid had the foresight and maturity to reign his game in and play the percentage shots. What hasn't been mentioned are his powers of focus and intelligence. The guy is 20, playing his first test match and has the pressure of being watched by Tendulkar, critiqued by Dravid and sledged by Harbhijan yet still managed a fine hundred and 69 in the second innings when he was given out to a dubious shout.

Also, his ODI hundred - scored under pressure and managed on one leg to score the boundaries when McCullum jnr couldn't.

Tum Tum the Dum Dum. :laugh: