• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Flem274*

123/5
Dave Johnson. He coached him from the age of eight or nine up until around he finished secondary school iirc.
If this guy hasn't been promoted to somewhere important already then he probably should now. Does he work with everyone's youth, just NDs, just Tauranga's?

Howsie

International Captain
If this guy hasn't been promoted to somewhere important already then he probably should now. Does he work with everyone's youth, just NDs, just Tauranga's?
I'm not to sure how much work he does with younger players tbh, you'd think he's coached some age group team along the way though. He's been coaching the mens Bay of Plenty team for quite some time though iirc. It hasn't all just been Johnston though, Williamson's father had a lot to do with his development as a batsmen growing up. He was an age group coach for ND and it was him that really drummed in the importance of playing back to short bowling.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm not to sure how much work he does with younger players tbh, you'd think he's coached some age group team along the way though. He's been coaching the mens Bay of Plenty team for quite some time though iirc. It hasn't all just been Johnston though, Williamson's father had a lot to do with his development as a batsmen growing up. He was an age group coach for ND and it was him that really drummed in the importance of playing back to short bowling.
Makes all the difference I think.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have been thinking about how KAne grips the bat at the bottom of the handle. I reckon this will stop him from going over the top as effectively as other players. Hence I am making the early prediction that he will be a solid and possibly very good ODI player - but that he will not be able to dominate an attack during powerplay overs. I am happy for him to prove me wrong.

thierry henry

International Coach
I hate to feed the troll, but the first time I saw Williamson my only reservation was "how would he go against proper pace?". Something about his batting just strikes me as a little to "gentle" for it, like he was born to nurdle spinners, but maybe desn't have the fast hands and fast eyes for real pace. That's probably as ridiculous as it sounds but it was just the vibe I got.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hate to feed the troll, but the first time I saw Williamson my only reservation was "how would he go against proper pace?". Something about his batting just strikes me as a little to "gentle" for it, like he was born to nurdle spinners, but maybe desn't have the fast hands and fast eyes for real pace. That's probably as ridiculous as it sounds but it was just the vibe I got.
That's incredibly pessimistic considering almost every available source in the last 18 months have talked him up as the best NZ batsman off the back-foot since one M D Crowe.

Playing with 'gentle/soft' hands & playing the ball as late as possible in the secret to playing well in Indian conditions. Just because he does that well shouldn't lead you to conclude he won't be able to handle genuine pace.

thierry henry

International Coach
That's incredibly pessimistic considering almost every available source in the last 18 months have talked him up as the best NZ batsman off the back-foot since one M D Crowe.

Playing with 'gentle/soft' hands & playing the ball as late as possible in the secret to playing well in Indian conditions. Just because he does that well shouldn't lead you to conclude he won't be able to handle genuine pace.
Fair enough

Actually I got that impression watching him make a score in a domestic OD match last season, where he basically either pushed and ran, or played paddle sweeps to fine leg for boundaries. If anything this Indian tour has allayed my concerns a little because he's shown some more decisive strokeplay, driving down the ground, pulling etc.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If anything he strike me as someone with oodles of time to play the ball which is logically the key attribute in handling genuine pace bowling. You don't have to hit the ball hard to score boundaries off 145km+ bowling.

TumTum

Banned
But the thing is, he doesn't have time to play the ball.

For example:
-Has he played 1 cover drive that went for 4 off a fast bowler in this series? He just taps them when he plays that shot, and it's not like he has any timing or placement either.
-He was completely late on one of Zaheer's deliveries, and it's not like he bowls thunderbolts.
-He attempted to play the Pull-Shot a few times and the ball just rolled straight to leg-side fielders without any power or placement.
-He played across the line a lot of times against balls that were heading towards his pads.

He looked pretty good against the spinners though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
But the thing is, he doesn't have time to play the ball.

For example:
-Has he played 1 cover drive that went for 4 off a fast bowler in this series? He just taps them when he plays that shot, and it's not like he has any timing or placement either.
-He was completely late on one of Zaheer's deliveries, and it's not like he bowls thunderbolts.
-He attempted to play the Pull-Shot a few times and the ball just rolled straight to leg-side fielders without any power or placement.
-He played across the line a lot of times against balls that were heading towards his pads.

He looked pretty good against the spinners though.
He did play one straight drive that was to die for.

Howsie

International Captain
I actually watched him make his first one day 100 for Northern Districts a couple of years ago against Canterbury - a game in which Shane Bond was present. Two shots stood out for me that day (well three including a Peter McGlashan reverse sweep for six) One was a back foot punch of Bond for four which was his first scoring shot and a pull infront of square again of Bond for six that took him into the 90's.

His record at the Basin in both forms of the game is fantastic - and most would agree that it's easily the fastest pitch in the country. His 100 he scored there earlier this season he hit Mark Gillespie out of the attack in just three overs after Wellington decided they would test him with the short stuff - three sixes later and the experiment had failed.