• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
So I gather he has a good technique.

Is he stronger off the front or back foot; or both?

What shot does he look good playing?

(I obviously missed his only noticable innings so far yesterday)
Even though he scored a century I still didn't see enough of him to have a full feeling for his game mainly because he played a lot of spin. Like most of the NZ players in the game he decided to use his feet to the spinners. But unlike Elliot he actually looked like he knew what he was doing when he came down the wicket.
I thought he got bogged down a bit against the medium pacer. But he couldn't afford to lose his wicket so it was understandable.
Pull shot - check
Hoik through midwicket for four - check
lap shot - check
using feet to the spinner - two thumbs up
Back foot cover drive - check

TumTum

Banned
Haha he really did; I remember the post.
Yeah he didn't look comfortable in the crease but for some reason I think he has something special about him.

From only the 2 balls from the highlights I can analyze :laugh: he seems to resemble Ricky Ponting's technique. Unlike all the other **** NZ batsmen, when he was beaten outside off-stump he timed his feet movement to perfection rather then moving them after the ball passes the bat. Even when he got bowled, he shaped to play the ball onto the on-side with good footwork and getting behind the ball.

This was probably the worst time to debut, staring at an early collapse against a medium pacer that is swinging it big both ways. Might even been better if he faced somebody like Dale Steyn, at least would have had some pace to work with.
:cool:

And that 6 he got off Shakib was very identical to Ponting's 6s off Harbhajan in the 2003 WC.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Kane WIlliamson is going to be the next Bradman. Mark my words. He's probably the best batsman in the world right now - he's at least right up there with Sachin and by the end of his career he'll be the best ever.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Kane WIlliamson is going to be the next Bradman. Mark my words. He's probably the best batsman in the world right now - he's at least right up there with Sachin and by the end of his career he'll be the best ever.
LOL :laugh:
Taylor's easily the best batsman in the team at the moment.
However, Kane's a good prospect.

DingDong

State Captain
awta. definately the best u25 in the world for sure.

Flem274*

123/5
I still can't believe Northern Districts have now produced two batsmen who are actually good. I suppose something serious was needed to counterbalance Harshall, Jarshall, Flynn and Twatling.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Harshall isn't that bad with the bat tbh. An average of 38 in tests isn't something to be frowned upon.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He did have a rather dreadful decline, though. He was averaging high-30s in ODIs for a long time, then that headed very quickly southwards. Deserved a hefty share of the blame for a few losses during that time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Harshall isn't that bad with the bat tbh. An average of 38 in tests isn't something to be frowned upon.
He was lucky he played all his Tests during his absolute peak though - a peak that conflicts with the rest of his career so much that it's probably best to call it an extended purple patch. He was never much good in First Class cricket and he only played 13 Tests. I definitely think that average flatters him a lot, and that if he played more he'd have been lucky to average 30. He does seem a slightly better First Class batsman now than he was before his Test career but he's still not very good.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was lucky he played all his Tests during his absolute peak though
To be fair, that's probably not quite true - I remember he was young and inexperienced when he was given a random Test debut in South Africa. He was nowhere near ready for Tests at that point, but got a ballsy unbeaten 40-odd. Then he was dropped as randomly as he was selected in the first place.

All his other Tests were in that good patch, though, yeah.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair, that's probably not quite true - I remember he was young and inexperienced when he was given a random Test debut in South Africa. He was nowhere near ready for Tests at that point, but got a ballsy unbeaten 40-odd. Then he was dropped as randomly as he was selected in the first place.

All his other Tests were in that good patch, though, yeah.
Haha okay, 12 of his 13 Tests during his absolute peak then. :p

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Marshall being asked to open in tests never having done it before ruined him. He was harshly treated. Fulton was a similar case.

tooextracool

International Coach
Just watched him for the first time. That backfoot drive through the covers is a thing of beauty. Cant sayIm not impressed to be honest, but would like to see more of his front foot technique.