• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's most overhyped players.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha no. I'm a huge Sachin fan, but when Nasser comes out and says he's better than Bradman, and other commentators agree, it means he's overrated.

I'm happy to admit Sachin is overrated by many. To me he's still an all-time great and one of the best batsman to ever play the game. But he's not better than Bradman, and if a sufficient number of people say he is, than he's overrated.

No biggie. Not a slight on him at all.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
He's the greatest batsmen in the world all time for me personally.

But i Don't buy the argument that it is outrageous to even compare him to someone and that he was twice a player to everyone else in almost 130 years of cricket.
And to think someone else was better than him based on certain logic is not at all funny ,outrageous or stupid to me.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But how can you explain him averaging almost twice as much as other greats in his era? That is the key point isn't it? He averaged almost twice as much as Hammond, Hobbs, Hutton and other great batsmen of his era. Surely that suggests that he is head and shoulders above everyone else that has come since, because no one has been twice as good as their contemporaries in that time.

It's just logical to think this.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Shoaib Akhtar.
ha not really one of the very few modern day bowlers who average 25 in both formats of the game infact its his other activities that detract people from fully appreciating his skills/

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
But it's also interesting that Warne gets ranked between 6 and 10 in the bowlers rating on CW which is just about right.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
But how can you explain him averaging almost twice as much as other greats in his era? That is the key point isn't it? He averaged almost twice as much as Hammond, Hobbs, Hutton and other great batsmen of his era. Surely that suggests that he is head and shoulders above everyone else that has come since, because no one has been twice as good as their contemporaries in that time.

I loved the activity that SJS (from memory) undertook where he showed the overlap between all these great players, and reckon it points to the idea that greats are great, no matter the circumstance.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Ishant Sharma

KP, He's played only five years ffs, Definitely not close to a great atm and definitely a godo amount below the likes of Sanga.

Flintoff, I don't get the entire intangibles argument tbh.

Tendulkar

Viv Richards

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ishant hasn't been praised on this board for two years, and he's overhyped. Lol.

The guy cops **** here all the time (deservedly so).

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha I was gonna say... if this is Ishant being overhyped, then what, in CW's estimation, is him being rated fairly?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nah, When people bag Ishant, It's usually him having ****loads of talent and working over Ponting and now wasting his potential. It's like he was an ATG for a point in time or something, while that isn't the case.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer

The pool of player when bradman played was smaller ,There were two nations playing real cricket not to mention he played 52 tests and who knows law of averages might have catched up to him also if he played more.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
First class cricket would have been even lesser standard in those days.Two nations played the game for gods sake
Whis is it then that the next highest FC average of players from Eng and Aust, is Ponsford (Aus) @ 65.18? That means Bradman's FC average was 30 more than the next best...you lose.