• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's most overhyped players.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
was that one in a blue moon type of innings? and even then when he was needed he got out..
He saved Australia the test. Truly stunning innings and to question it because he got out is ridiculous especially as he was unlucky to get out gloving down the leg side.

I was at the match and he was stunning. Got a standing ovation as he walked off.

akilana

International 12th Man
oh are we talking about cricket.. umm I thought we are talking about vollayball..Ricky Ponting What a Vollayball player..

Care to share some of those scorecards with me..becuase i just have one of those short memories that i forget those type of matches if they don't happen often..

for me a batsman is good if he single handedly takes control.. bat with talenders and when matches in a crisis situation.. apparently that didn't happen that often during his career.. Aus mostly dominated the teams because they had strong batting line up consisting of Hayden, Langer, Slater, Waugh Brothers, Martins and Gily.. Now that these guys are retired, a decline in Ponting's career is seen..and I proved that with a little analysis that i just run in cricinfo.

Ponting debuted in December 11, 1995
batted mostly down the order till 2001.. he was promoted up the order right for 2001 ashes.

from 95 to 2007 when Aus was playing those big names like Waugh brothers, hayden, Langer, Slater, Martin, Gilly.. he averages over 59

filtered 1995-2007 110 9368 257 59.29 33 5 1/0 46.20 0 124 0

from Nov 2007 when the big names were gone.. he has averaged only 43.

filtered 2007-2010 38 2882 209 43.66 6 0 - - 0 50 0

in the past couple of years or so that Gilly and Hayden has retired, He has been even worse..averaging 42.
nah Ponting carried all of those players you mentioned. When they knew Ponting was past his best, they retired.

TumTum

Banned
oh are we talking about cricket.. umm I thought we are talking about vollayball..Ricky Ponting What a Vollayball player..

Care to share some of those scorecards with me..becuase i just have one of those short memories that i forget those type of matches if they don't happen often..

for me a batsman is good if he single handedly takes control.. bat with talenders and when matches in a crisis situation.. apparently that didn't happen that often during his career.. Aus mostly dominated the teams because they had strong batting line up consisting of Hayden, Langer, Slater, Waugh Brothers, Martins and Gily.. Now that these guys are retired, a decline in Ponting's career is seen..and I proved that with a little analysis that i just run in cricinfo.

Ponting debuted in December 11, 1995
batted mostly down the order till 2001.. he was promoted up the order right for 2001 ashes.

from 95 to 2007 when Aus was playing those big names like Waugh brothers, hayden, Langer, Slater, Martin, Gilly.. he averages over 59

filtered 1995-2007 110 9368 257 59.29 33 5 1/0 46.20 0 124 0

from Nov 2007 when the big names were gone.. he has averaged only 43.

filtered 2007-2010 38 2882 209 43.66 6 0 - - 0 50 0

in the past couple of years or so that Gilly and Hayden has retired, He has been even worse..averaging 42.
Or maybe that is because he has been genuinely out of form in the past 2-3 years... but don't let me stand in the way of your trolling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just saw a member suggest Watling and Guptill should be in the Test frame in another thread, which makes them comfortably the most over-hyped cricketers on CW. Second grade club cricketers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If a started a "Batsmen better than Bradley-John Watling" thread, do you think he'd chuck a Martin in the chase? :p

Ahh who am I kidding? Of course he wouldn't; he's ****.