• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who have had a lasting impact on how the game is played.

IPL Kochi

Cricket Spectator
Jonty Rhodes

How can u forget Jonty Rhodes and his feilding !!!... So many new trends in feilding... They were like new Yoga lessons with the bends n flips... I havn't seen a feilder like him in recent times though Suresh Raina & David Hussey can come close.... but still not as good ! :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Who was the first fielder to popularise throwing the ball in teh air when you're on the edge of the rope and about to go over, and then coming back in and catching it.

Adam Voges?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That said, take Jono's point about who popularised it.
Quite so. To use another example, leg theory had been around for a good couple of decades before 32/33 but it's pretty indisputable that Jardine's tourists' use of it to the bowling of Voce and (particularly) Larwood was what had the lasting impact on the game.

Dilshan might not have been the first, but he had the good sense/fortune to deploy the shot in a tournament the majority of the (cricketing) world was watching. Ditto Greatbatch with pinch-hitting (a term borrowed from rounders' bastard American daughter, as one understands), others may have done it before him, but his success in 92 was what caught the worlds' collective eye.

Spark

Global Moderator
How can u forget Jonty Rhodes and his feilding !!!... So many new trends in feilding... They were like new Yoga lessons with the bends n flips... I havn't seen a feilder like him in recent times though Suresh Raina & David Hussey can come close.... but still not as good ! :cool:
Then I suggest you watch more cricket. You won't have to look hard.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Then I suggest you watch more cricket. You won't have to look hard.
Yeah, Symonds must've run Rhodes bloody close as a fielder (had a better arm for my quid) and Gibbs, Collingwood and Ponting all there or thereabouts too.

Given the first two's refuelling habits and Punter's former fondness for the sauce, maybe booze has a positive effect on fielding? If one can focus through the haze of a dozen sherberts it must be a piece of piss (pun intended) when sober. :ph34r:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Jonty Rhodes was just a cross between Colin Bland, Derek Randall and LSD.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The role of west indian fast bowlers in bringing protective equipment for batsmen into the game?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The role of west indian fast bowlers in bringing protective equipment for batsmen into the game?
Actually I think I had some small role to play in that.

When helmets first came out the perspex on the ear pieces was only 1 mm thick.

I was 11 years old and at a coaching clinic with some psycho coach who decided it would be a good idea to let me face a NSW under 17s opening bowler.

Being young, when the ball was shortish I naturally tried to take it on, got hit flush in the temporal , the perspex shattered and fell away, and off to hospital. Concussion, bad head ache but no long term damage other than Tourette Syndrome.

****s.

They trebled the thickness of the perspex after that incident to 3 mm, and for many years later C&D (now Albion) gave me free helmets, which was a lot cheaper for them than having to pay funeral expenses I guess.

This being the case, can a Mod add my name to the poll please?

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Of my cant believe i missed this thread. Would anyone say Steve Waugh as a test captain?. The way he encouraged AUS to play super-agressive cricket, scoring 3.5 - 4 runs an over in a day in tests, was definately a benchmark most teams today usually wish to do (although flat pitches are average attacks played a part here too, but lets not go into this again).

bagapath

International Captain
Of my cant believe i missed this thread. Would anyone say Steve Waugh as a test captain?. The way he encouraged AUS to play super-agressive cricket, scoring 3.5 - 4 runs an over in a day in tests, was definately a benchmark most teams today usually wish to do (although flat pitches are average attacks played a part here too, but lets not go into this again).
not really.... warwick armstrong, don bradman, richie benaud, ian chappell and mark taylor all had similar philosophies. and they are just the australians.....

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among leg-spinners:

Bosanquet: Googly
Grimmett: Flipper
Benaud (later popularised by Warne): the lower and back-of-the-hand version of the flipper

Anything else worth mentioning among leg-spinners?

bagapath

International Captain
Among leg-spinners:

Bosanquet: Googly
Grimmett: Flipper
Benaud (later popularised by Warne): the lower and back-of-the-hand version of the flipper

Anything else worth mentioning among leg-spinners?
the o'reilly school of faster, bouncier variety of legspin mixed with seamers and straight ones is a distinguished branch of wrist spin bowling too. long after bill o 'reilly, india's bs chandrasekar and, a decade after him, anil kumble ran in hard ball after ball and earner their wickets in true tiger style.