• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who have had a lasting impact on how the game is played.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Marillier did. Tendulkar's been playing that shot for ages too, before Dilshan even made it into international cricket, only he has the skillz to keep it safer along the ground.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tendulkar scooped opening fast bowlers over the keeper's head for 4? I do not recall ever seeing that.

And along the ground? How would you possibly scoop the ball over the keeper's head whilst on the ground :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I didn't necessarily mean opening fast bowlers, but then Tendulkar never got to face the kind of 'fast bowlers' India has either.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tendulkar scooped opening fast bowlers over the keeper's head for 4? I do not recall ever seeing that.

And along the ground? How would you possibly scoop the ball over the keeper's head whilst on the ground :ph34r:
lol.. u seriously think Dilshan can do it to Steyn?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure, he's never done it. But he's done it to opening bowlers. Didn't realise Steyn was the only opening/fast bowler in the world.

Here's one example.

Mills to Dilshan, FOUR, Dilshan's on fire here, brings out the Dilscoop, times it perfectly and it sails over the keeper for a boundary, what a brave shot that is

http://www.cricinfo.com/slvnz2009/engine/match/403385.html

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
That still doesn't mean he should get credit for it. The doosra isn't called the moosra just because Murali popularised it and used it to greater effect. Credit where credit is due. Marillier came up with the scoop. If there was someone before him who played it to great effect, credit him.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't McCullum do it to pretty much everyone when he made a ton? Against Johnson, Tait, Nannes et all?

Obviously he didn't come up with it, but it has been played to some seriously quick bowlers by Dilshan and others.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The scoop over the keeper? Fine.

The scoop over the keeper with your head in line? No. Dilshan was the first person to actually sit there, not move much, and put the bat in front of their face and scoop the ball over the keeper.

No one was ever stupid enough to do it before Dilshan.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And another point, even if you are correct, and someone did exactly what Dilshan did earlier. This isn't the "first person to ever do something".

It's the "person who changed the game".

If A does something 20 years ago, and no one follows, he didn't change the game.

If B does that same thing A did 1 year ago, and then 50 people follow, he's the one that should be credited with changing the game and setting the pattern. Not A. No one gave a **** that A did it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
And another point, even if you are correct, and someone did exactly what Dilshan did earlier. This isn't the "first person to ever do something".

It's the "person who changed the game".

If A does something 20 years ago, and no one follows, he didn't change the game.

If B does that same thing A did 1 year ago, and then 50 people follow, he's the one that should be credited with changing the game and setting the pattern. Not A. No one gave a **** that A did it.
It's highly debatable that Dilshan set off any sort of trend with that shot to begin with, considering that many players were already playing it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It's not the shot, it's when and where you play it.

People may have played it at the death with short fine leg up. Not against the new ball with fielding restrictions on.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
And yes, I'll admit that part of my opposition derives from the fact that Dilshan is a rat and 'dilscoop' is such a ridiculous name.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dilscoop is an awesome name.

And TilDil is an awesome nickname for Dilshan which never caught on. :(

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It's not the shot, it's when and where you play it.

People may have played it at the death with short fine leg up. Not against the new ball with fielding restrictions on.
It is the shot. And your breath stinks.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
That still doesn't mean he should get credit for it. The doosra isn't called the moosra just because Murali popularised it and used it to greater effect. Credit where credit is due. Marillier came up with the scoop. If there was someone before him who played it to great effect, credit him.
Haha, moosra, that is classic.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just two variations on a theme, really. Basically the same shot but certainly different.

Have to say that McCullum's execution of it against us in that match was easily the best T20 knock I've seen. To play that shot so often and so successfuly against the bowlers he was facing was just ludicrous.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with G. I. Joe, not too fond of hearing "Dilscoop" everytime someone plays it, especially when Marillier did it earlier.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tbh, some NZ'ers would say the Marillier is just a slight extension of the shot Dion Nash played at The 'Gabba in the late 90's against South Africa which would have won them the game had it been ruled 6 instead of 4.

That said, take Jono's point about who popularised it.