• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ottis Gibson quits England for Windies role

shivfan

Banned
You're missing the obvious point that, against pretty much the same opposition, Barath has vastly outperformed Darren Bravo in every single department, except looking like Lara.
I agree....

Darren Bravo needs to make an impact at the FC level for Trinidad, before he's considered for the WI Test side. Adrian Barath did that, and he's in. Darren Bravo hasn't done that yet....

shivfan

Banned
And you're missing the point that Barath's FC record has no relevance to whether Bravo can perform at Test level, Ramdin hits 100's at FC level but is he a test standard batsman? :laugh: you can keep living in the past if you like, i'd rather embrace the future of WI cricket thanks.
Yes, as you point out, Ramdin is leading the batting against mediocre bowling, right? So, in that case, any batsman who is worth his salt should be doing the same. If Darren Bravo can't hit the lollipop bowlers in the Caribbean for runs, how can he be expected to do that to Steyn and Morkel?
:dry:
In the end, any batsman who wants to make it into the WI side has to earn his right in the side by performing in the four-day game in the Caribbean....

shivfan

Banned
I really liked what I saw of Nikita Miller down here. When Benn often comes away with awful figures it is interesting that Miller hasn't had much of an opportunity.
And Miller is one of the top wicket-takers in the domestic four-day competition this season, so he has earned his place in the West Indies side to go Down Under....

Darren Bravo hasn't.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Haha KP made his name in ODI cricket :lol: maybe he did for you, but i think the fact he scored four and a half thousand FC runs at mid 50's between 2001 test debut was more why he was expected to do well.

Craig

World Traveller
And Miller is one of the top wicket-takers in the domestic four-day competition this season, so he has earned his place in the West Indies side to go Down Under....

Darren Bravo hasn't.
But Bravo scored 19 runs off 16 ballz lolz.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Yes, as you point out, Ramdin is leading the batting against mediocre bowling, right? So, in that case, any batsman who is worth his salt should be doing the same. If Darren Bravo can't hit the lollipop bowlers in the Caribbean for runs, how can he be expected to do that to Steyn and Morkel?
:dry:
In the end, any batsman who wants to make it into the WI side has to earn his right in the side by performing in the four-day game in the Caribbean....
Erm Darren Bravo hasn't even played in this domestic season yet, but no doubt if he does well you'll have a ready made excuse because apparently "no-one can replace chanders" even though the man is clearly in a slump 8-) .

WindieWeathers

International Regular

Darren Bravo hasn't.
He's FAILED whenever he's got a chance though and he wasn't even the highest wicket taker out of the spinners in the last FC season, Odean Brown was so why aren't you bigging him up Mike? :blink:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good to see 2 things:

1. I wasn't going crazy.
2. The reinforcements have arrived.
I had actually started typing up a fairly large post in reply, but I got stuck when trying to think of my trademark slightly exaggerated comparison in order to put things into better perspective for the intended reader. I actually couldn't think of anything more outrageous along the lines of "dropping Chanderpaul for Darren Bravo" than.. "dropping Chanderpaul for Darren Bravo". It's actually an example I'd think about using in reply to someone else in order to show them how ridiculous I thought their suggestion was, only to opt out due to it being a little too exaggerated to be effective.

It was at this point I decided the patronising one-liner was the way to go.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really think the "he scored 19 in an ODI against India" theory is the stuff of legend. (Bravo)
And the "he's proven he's better at Test cricket than the guy who hasn't played it, even though that guy's proven he's better at FC cricket" theory isn't too far behind. (Benn)

shivfan

Banned
Erm Darren Bravo hasn't even played in this domestic season yet, but no doubt if he does well you'll have a ready made excuse because apparently "no-one can replace chanders" even though the man is clearly in a slump 8-) .
If Darren Bravo does well, then I will happily have him in the WI side!
:)
After all, his batting style reminds us of a young Brian Lara....

But let's see him get some matches under his belt first, and assess him accordingly.

shivfan

Banned
He's FAILED whenever he's got a chance though and he wasn't even the highest wicket taker out of the spinners in the last FC season, Odean Brown was so why aren't you bigging him up Mike? :blink:
Personally, like Mr Mx, I think Miller hasn't really been given much of a chance at Test level. He's actually leading Odean Brown in the wicket-taking stakes this season. I believe only Imran Khan has taken more wickets than Miller this season so far....

However, even though I prefer Miller to Benn, I don't have a real problem with Benn playing. It's better to have a spinner in the side, than none at all. There was a time not so long ago when WI selectors were allergic to spinners!
:laugh:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While it's good to have a spinner in the side finally, I think it's criminal not to pick your best spinner. That's the same for any role, of course.

And although Windie seems to be suggesting otherwise, I've always said that Odean Brown is worth a look in. There are a lot of spinners who, if Benn has been given an opportunity, deserve even more of an opportunity. The thing about Benn is that his height and accuracy suggest that he should be a potent bowler. Or as potent a bowler as a fingerspinner can be most of the time. The problem is that he almost never uses his height properly, and accuracy means nothing without variety in Test cricket.

Above all I'd love if Benn became a Test class spinner. Why wouldn't I? I'm a WI fan!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Then what does he have to do then? turn into Dale Steyn over night? :laugh:
Nope, but something from 3 or 4 rungs below Steyn would be a good start.
and i'm inclined to ask how are you so familier with Aamer's career when you said this about him and Parnell earlier in this thread?

Looks fishy to me 8-)
Not really - I thought you were talking about some teenaged West Indians and didn't read every word of your post with clarity.

And go easy on the Rolleyeses won't you? Hardly seen a post of yours that doesn't contain one, sometimes more.
You're not answering the question, he's had his debut and we've seen him play, should he be in the side or not?.
As of this post he clearly should be in the side because he has done nothing to be dropped; that is different from the fact that he should not have been called for ITFP.