• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia

Andre

International Regular
I must admit I'm really enjoying this days cricket. Great to see batsmen tested by skillful fast bowling and a wicket that offers a bit.

Sir Alex

Banned
ponting played as he usually does - in an attacking manner. the ball was there to be hit and i've seen him dispatch similiar deliveries, first up, to the boundary

ponting's kinda built the foundation of his batting on aggressive intent and counter-attacks, as befits a player of his stature. defending that delivery would kinda require a very fundamental shift in his approach to batting and that's not a decision he'd take lightly. sure he could pull a steve waugh and shut shop from now on but that's not something you'd expect from him and rightfully so
I agree had he possessed a middle order like Waugh, Lehmann, Glichrist, Hussey (Prime) he could be excused for playing extravagant shots like those and getting out. However Australian middle order is the most fragile in the last 10-15 years and hence Ponting has to show some responsibility even if it means curbing his attacking shots. As I said before Australia needs Ponting the batsman now more than ever. They would prefer a 225 ball 100 from him rather than a 50 ball 40 even if the latter was "awesome, and aggressive".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Nicholas describing Asif as having "a lot of skill in his wrist" is a disturbing thing imo.

Beleg

International Regular
Ok this is pretty ridiculous commenting needless criticism..... That was a GREAT spell!
sami's spell wasn't great. at best it was mildly threatening and that's more a function of the basic tools he possesses as a fast bowler coupled with the pitch conditions, as opposed to any 'intent' on his part. of course this is kinda irrelevant if ye reckon the ends justify the means no matter what the actual reality is but sami's spell here was the opposite end of the spectrum to a performance like, say, wasim akram's against england in faisalabad circa 2000 or roach's spell earlier in the season - brilliant bowling with little to show for it

Beleg

International Regular
I agree had he possessed a middle order like Waugh, Lehmann, Glichrist, Hussey (Prime) he could be excused for playing extravagant shots like those and getting out. However Australian middle order is the most fragile in the last 10-15 years and hence Ponting has to show some responsibility even if it means curbing his attacking shots. As I said before Australia needs Ponting the batsman now more than ever. They would prefer a 225 ball 100 from him rather than a 50 ball 40 even if the latter was "awesome, and aggressive".
meh, i see yer point but i disagree with ye - ponting's approach to batting kinda typifies the aussie approach to cricket during their dominant era and i really dont see the aussie teams of future being able to rekindle that dominance if they dont carry over the dominant, counter-attacking spirit that led to knocks like gilchrists against pakistan, for example into the current aussie team in transition

or else there'd be a return to dogged mediocrity

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Dare I suggest it, but how awesome would McGrath be on this wicket?

McGrath used to dominate far tougher Pakistan batting lineups on pitches far more batsman friendly than this.

Burgey

Johnson playing and missing 50 times. Luck has turned. 150+ here we come.
I'd kill for a golf swing follow-through as pure as that on MJ's cover drive.

Edit: would also kill for one of those pop-up pubs by the pool this summer.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned
meh, i see yer point but i disagree with ye - ponting's approach to batting kinda typifies the aussie approach to cricket during their dominant era and i really dont see the aussie teams of future being able to rekindle that dominance if they dont carry over the dominant, counter-attacking spirit that led to knocks like gilchrists against pakistan, for example into the current aussie team in transition

or else there'd be a return to dogged mediocrity
Fair enough assessment in the long term however short term blips require adjustments from top players. I am not saying Ponting has "lost" his pull shot but merely that he is out of form and in the inevitable decline. Hence his pull shot is getting him out more times than actually it should be. Sachin tendulkar went through a similar phase in the 2003-04 series to Australia. He was then plagued by his injury and bad form and was getting out repeatedly to deliveries outside off, which he would have smashed in his prime. He made the short term adjustment by dropping the cover drive and the cut altogether in the last test match at Sydney in which he scored 240 odd with 70% runs coming from the leg side. Agreed it was not "enjoyable" and "entertaining" as his other hundreds in Australia, but in the final analysis he scored runs for himself, team and ended a series of disappointing scores. That is what Ponting can take a leaf out of. Of course Tendulkar is playing the cut and the drive now as usual.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have only been watching for the past 4-5 overs but this certainly doesnt look like a 7-106 pitch to me

All the highlights proved to me was tha:

a. Asif is a good bowler

b. Guys like Ponting are not the players they used to be;

c. Hughes is not a test batsman's butt; and

d; Hauritz and Johnson are Australia's most valuable cricketers

Didnt need to watch the match to come to these conclusions

Burgey

Haurie gone - well played. Asif gets 5 for - well bowled.

Johnson can really go a bit silly now, assuming he gets the chance.

Warm up Dougy.

Dougeh.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great bowling by Asif to pick up 5, has bowled well. Would like to see Johnson hit a few over the fence now.