• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Two excellent pieces of footballing news:

1) Watford going into administration. Couldn't happen to a nicer team. ****s; hope Vicarage Road is turned into a car park and the players sold for vivisection.

2) Paul Hart getting the QPR gig. Always nice to see a good bloke given a go. Hope the R's pass the Pompey ingrates on the way down.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably only got a 50% chance of lasting the season with the rate they go through managers.

Reading parting company with Rodgers today, not all that surprising. Am hoping that our fairly poor season so far will stop them trying to get Andy Scott but could still see it happening, would be a disaster for us.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Shame that - fancied him for the Reading job tbh - please god not Gareth Southgate
Madjeski was just on SSN, actually. Denied Rodgers got the arse because of a difference in opinion over the funds he'd have available in Jan.

Someone should really have a word with Sir John about his Barnet too. As someone with more salt than pepper in my hair, I sympathise, but vivid dark brown locks on gentlemen of a certain age just isn't a good look.

fredfertang

Madjeski was just on SSN, actually. Denied Rodgers got the arse because of a difference in opinion over the funds he'd have available in Jan.

Someone should really have a word with Sir John about his Barnet too. As someone with more salt than pepper in my hair, I sympathise, but vivid dark brown locks on gentlemen of a certain age just isn't a good look.
Rodgers clearly didn't do his homework on Sir John - my source, which is pretty reliable, said he flounced into a meeting and announced he couldn't keep the club up without "substantial investment in the squad"

He got short shrift

.... although rumour and tittle tattle has it that a change of ownership will be announced very soon anyway - fake sheikhs have been spotted - Munto Investments perhaps?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Two excellent pieces of footballing news:

1) Watford going into administration. Couldn't happen to a nicer team. ****s; hope Vicarage Road is turned into a car park and the players sold for vivisection.
I keep on expecting Elton John to step in even if he had to sell some of his dresses to raise the money. Seemed even more likely now Graham Taylor is back there, but so far nothing has happened.

Johnners

Glad to see somebody agrees with me.

It's Going To Be A Big Weekend For...

Alberto Aquilani
Just what will persuade Rafa Benitez to start Aquilani in a league game?

The Italian made his first appearance for Liverpool in a reserve game against Tranmere on October 22. Since then they have been involved in no less than 12 games in three competitions, but Aquilani has started once, played a total of 45 minutes in the league and around 90 in the other games.

Benitez has said a couple of times that he is not match fit, but how does Aquilani get match fit if he does not play, errr, matches?

It's understandable that Benitez wants to protect his most expensive summer signing, but if he does not start against bottom of the league Portsmouth on Saturday, then serious questions must be asked.

Is it possible that the Liverpool coaching staff have, after having a close look at the man they paid something like £20million for in the summer, come to the conclusion that he's not actually very good? Or at least not ready for the Premier League?

In the one game the Italian has started (against Fiorentina in the Champions League), the stats showed that Aquilani made not a single tackle. Now, obviously ball-winning is not his primary attribute, but that's far from ideal for a central midfielder in England.

He might turn out to be brilliant, but we won't know until he plays.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
AC Milan v Man Utd
Porto v Arsenal
Lyon v Real Madrid
CSKA Moscow v Sevilla
Bayern Munich v Fiorentina
Inter Milan v Chelsea
Olympiakos v Bordeaux
Stuttgart v Barcelona

Jose returns to Stamford Bridge, and Beckham returns to Old Trafford. Pretty huge games right there.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Huh? Why?
On the Wilshire situation its mainly i biased English perspective given that i want him playing for a big club in a world cup year. Even if he doesn't get full game time.

If he does go to Burley if Capello decides to pick a natural left-footed winger (although i dont think the team needs one - Walcott/Lennon/Cole/Becks should be the 4 wingers in the WC squad). Downing will be in his consideration given he will the man playing first team football & i dont want him near the national side.

Overall Wenger not getting a proper defensive mid-fielder continues to make the midfield look soft & selling Adebayor was poor IMO (despite the mistakes he made), i think Wenger should have tried to encourage him to stay since he clearly is still very good. Plus as long as Arsenal dont win the league or some major tournament you always feel Fabregas will be gone soon..

Jarquis

The only way this situation is bad for us is if you feel Wilshere is needed for the first team and I don't think we'd miss him much if he went to Burnley.
Is Capello going to pick a fringe player anyway?
If he goes to Burnley he can get some experience, put in some performances then he'll be better for it and so will we next year.

Cba to discuss about Adebayor.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If Wilshere was to stay at Arsenal he'd be restricted to almost entirely short length sub appearances, it's incredibly unlikely that he will be picked for the World Cup anyway, but the only way there is any chance of that happening is if he is playing regularly, not that this is guaranteed at Burnley, but he'll definitely benefit from the experience.

grecian

Yeah, Arsenal have too many good similar players to Wilshire, and Denilson. This works quite well, Burnley actually play really attractive and good football, will work out for everyone, I think.