• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why won't FIFA or UEFA trial automatic reds for diving? Honestly the biggest blight on an otherwise great game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why won't FIFA or UEFA trial automatic reds for diving? Honestly the biggest blight on an otherwise great game.
I think this was sort of introduced around 2001, or at least given some sort of trial. Remember an incident against Liverpool funnily enough though when Van Bronkhorst got sent off for "diving" only for the video replays to show that he was taken out from behind quite clearly, absolutely terrible decision. The one today looks to be terrible as well, wonder if he'll kop a ban ala Eduardo, double standards if he doesn't imo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think this was sort of introduced around 2001, or at least given some sort of trial. Remember an incident against Liverpool funnily enough though when Van Bronkhorst got sent off for "diving" only for the video replays to show that he was taken out from behind quite clearly, absolutely terrible decision. The one today looks to be terrible as well, wonder if he'll kop a ban ala Eduardo, double standards if he doesn't imo.
Yeah, I'm not looking at it so much from the POV of the refs, but rather from the players - would they dive in the 1st place if the rule was in?

As an Australian, can't help but hark back to the last WC - no one can tell me that if there were automatic reds for diving that that Italian **** would have dived vs us in that game - they were already a man down and 30 seconds from extra time.

It's just the worst thing in football (except for Drogba of course) by so far it isn't funny. Just ruins the game for me so much. Can't believe it's just an accepted part of the game in so many places.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As long as he gets let off...otherwise double standards :happy:.

My Dad and Uncle, who were funny at an international level for England, so without meaning to reveal my true identity, I think I know what I'm going on about.
Almost...but not quite, sledgerina.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm not looking at it so much from the POV of the refs, but rather from the players - would they dive in the 1st place if the rule was in?

As an Australian, can't help but hark back to the last WC - no one can tell me that if there were automatic reds for diving that that Italian **** would have dived vs us in that game - they were already a man down and 30 seconds from extra time.

It's just the worst thing in football (except for Drogba of course) by so far it isn't funny. Just ruins the game for me so much. Can't believe it's just an accepted part of the game in so many places.
I've said it before: all penalty decisions should have a 4th umpire view it on video and quickly give verdict to the onfield ref.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Yeah I agree with what you are saying, I think it's the element of risk involved on the part of enforcing such a rule though. There would be an absolute uproar if someone was shown an instant red and later evidence was shown that cast doubt on whether it was a "dive" or not. Imagine for example, Grosso had been genuinely taken out rather than diving, but he had been given a straight red....would have been a real nightmare. It's one of those problems that at the moment there seems to be no clear cut way of solving.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Shoe in for the French long-jump team tbh.
Wow. Just wow. It's not even a good ****ing dive, it's like a caricature of a dive.

Still, I love that Liverpool have been reduced to cheating to salvage a draw. Against Birmingham. At Anfield. To avoid their seventh loss in nine games.

Grosso dived but Lucas Neill's challenge was completely moronic.
This. I was as gutted as any other Aussie but Neill should have stayed on his feet. Full stop.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
True, but I just accept it was bad defending that got punished and move on from it. We'll be at more World Cups anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
True, but I just accept it was bad defending that got punished and move on from it. We'll be at more World Cups anyway.
Though I'd probably take this attitude if it was an Arsenal player who was in Neil's shoes I would take this view as well tbh, I'd still fume about it like crazy though, because although you've put it on a plate for the other team, cheating is still cheating, irrespective of circumstances. Not really meaning to disagree with you there at all btw, just thought I would throw in my thoughts.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah I know, but when we've got Eboue in our team I can't exactly get on my high horse. There have been plenty of instances of Aussie cheating too so I'm not going to go on about "cheating greaseballs" or some of the garbage I hear spewed all the time.