• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Airtel Twenty20 Champions League 2009

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big difference in performance between the international players and domestics so far

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The Delhi batting was a bit difficult to comment on. They batted out all twenty overs, but the inherent T20 problem with the Indians was clear- not enough big hits. Gambhir and Sehwag were out early, and this time, it impacted them negatively. The slow-and-low pitch also played its part, but with so many dots and so few hits to the fence, some wickets eventually fell. McKay bowled fast and straight, but McDonald, a non-regular player for Delhi in the IPL, was a huge surprise. The Vics fielded brilliantly and the bowlers bowled stump-to-stump, on a minefield of a pitch.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Delhi batting was a bit difficult to comment on. They batted out all twenty overs, but the inherent T20 problem with the Indians was clear- not enough big hits. Gambhir and Sehwag were out early, and this time, it impacted them negatively. The slow-and-low pitch also played its part, but with so many dots and so few hits to the fence, some wickets eventually fell. McKay bowled fast and straight, but McDonald, a non-regular player for Delhi in the IPL, was a huge surprise. The Vics fielded brilliantly and the bowlers bowled stump-to-stump, on a minefield of a pitch.
Quality bowler that is hugely underrated by everyone bar the Vics and opposing players

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
This Eagles team is bloody weak which is a bit of a worry for SA cricket if it manages to qualify as one of their two top teams.
They're not the best teams. It's what you get with a Twenty20 competition and teams with fewer players on international duty.

Titans and Warriors are the best teams. The Titans has the best depth overall where they don't suffer a lot if players are on international duty, however they had a poor run of form last year with the Pro20 and a string of no results that cost them a play off spot. They've dominated most competitions over the last 5 years. A full strength Titans squad would have the following players:

Rudolph
AB
VDM
Faf du Plessis.
Albie
Morne
Harris
Tahir
Steyn

The Warriors probably has the best 1st team and bowling line up, but don't have the depth when players are away. They did rather well last year in the competition where they almost made the final but lost in a super over. A full strength squad will having the following players:

Prince
Kallis
Boucher
Boje
Botha
Parnell
Tsotsobe
Ntini

So no it's not a worry. It's the luck of the draw. Cobras and Dolphins is probably the worst teams in SA. Eagles have no one on international duty therefore they can field a squad of fringe international players and do well domestically, but full strength Titans and Warriors squad would beat them.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It refers to the champion sides, not champion players though, right? I don't see where GIMH said it shouldn't be called the champions league.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You mulled over the tag Champions League and the first part of the article was largely rambling IMO. Any way, I should have

a) Mailed you privately..
b) It is just my opinion.

You write excellent pieces mostly and sorry about this episode.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You mulled over the tag Champions League and the first part of the article was largely rambling IMO. Any way, I should have

a) Mailed you privately..
b) It is just my opinion.

You write excellent pieces mostly and sorry about this episode.
Your opinion is fine and believe me, I don't at all mind criticism. However the only mulling I did over the 'Champions League' title was to suggest it was lifted directly from the UEFA Champions League. :)

Howsie

International Captain
I thought Wagner was quicker then that tbh, although his bouncer that didn't come up with a speed rating looked pretty quick.