• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Airtel Twenty20 Champions League 2009

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lalit Modi said:
"The Champions League doesn't arise from the IPL," he said. "Representatives of Cricket Australia, the BCCI and Cricket South Africa talked about the possibility of a Champions League even before the concept of the IPL was invented. We've been talking about this for years and it's been a matter of getting the right time and place to launch. Whereas the IPL certainly helped leverage interest in the event, the Champions League stands by itself as an international event. It becomes the apex of all domestic events around the world; its context and relevance is through domestic events."
Full article

I'm not sure if this is accurate, i certainly dont remember talks of the Champions league arising before the IPL started in 2008.

Arjun Bindra

Cricket Spectator
Are we allowed to use substitute once a match finish and 2nd is about to start on days those have 2 matches? Or it's just use once in the night and sit back for next full day standings? :)

Arjun Bindra

Cricket Spectator
Are we allowed to use substitute once a match finish and 2nd is about to start on days those have 2 matches? Or it's just use once in the night and sit back for next full day standings? :)
Like suppose we use 10 transfers for 1st match when NSW will face Eagles. As soon as it finish or before that we use another 10 for DD vs Vic, before start of this macth?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Hi Arjun,

You can make as many live changes as you like before Game 1 of the day starts. Once Game 1 starts, you can make pending changes which will apply automatically at the end of Game 2. You can't make changes in between matches.

Hope that helps :)

Arjun Bindra

Cricket Spectator
Hi Arjun,

You can make as many live changes as you like before Game 1 of the day starts. Once Game 1 starts, you can make pending changes which will apply automatically at the end of Game 2. You can't make changes in between matches.

Hope that helps :)
Ohk, understood. Well cricinfo's fantasy has this "real-time" subs thingy and I was little confused regarding what it will be here. Thanks James. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Your posts are full of dribble.

Chin up!*

*yes, this post was in jest.
Jest or not, I did think he rambled. He went on about it being called the 'champions trophy' and it not really being the champions trophy as the best players were not playing. Only in the second half of the piece do we come to the actual champions trophy where he tells us about the teams and that too, I thought was just scratching at the surface unlike the cricinfo article which had done a lot of research.

pasag

RTDAS
Fell asleep in the middle of Dravid and Uthappa batting :laugh:

Weird that Banglore make some runs, thier weak point and can't back it up with the ball.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So unfair that one match and you're out. Should have at least 3-4 matches to see who gets through. Not that I'm complaining about a short limited overs format, but I can see this changing in the future.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yesterday's match was interesting, though I am not a serious supporter of those teams (still Delhi/Sussex/Otago now). Duminy as an all-out aggressor was very unlike what he did for Mumbai Indians, and he dominated with proper cricketing shots. That was quite a surprise. A not-so-pleasant surprise was the injury to Langeveldt, one of the more popular players here (at least in fantasy XIs), and of course, one of the better T20 bowlers. We got to see three rapid 50's- one that was straight out of the rulebook (Duminy), one steady but with a little element of risk and lot of power (Taylor) and one exhibition of daredevilry by the relatively underpowered Uthappa. I had some expectations from the Cape players Kleinveldt and Davids, but both were a bit disappointing, while Praveen Kumar did what he could with the ball.

AaronK

State Regular
Smells like Pyaz/kanda/onion.

i don't know what u r talking about son.. but i suggest u take ur pipe since u seem like u r on crack..dude..

not really.. i just hate all these franchise (icl, ipl, standford, APL and soo on). they are hurting test cricket which is the real cricket..we saw how Andrew flintoff left test cricket for big money.. we saw how yousuf, Razzaq, imran nazir and even inzi left test cricket and playing for their country to make big money in ICL..we saw how shane bond, Tuffy, Nathan Astle and so many other big New Zealand cricketers quit international cricket prematurely..hell we even witnessed south African, Aussie and half of the Bangladeshi team leaving international cricket to play ICL..in future we will see more young cricketers who are going to quit playing for their country and join all these franchise for money. i am glad that standford and ICL toppled down.. and i hope they never rise again.. i am wishing the same fate for IPL and other up coming franchises like that..

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
By the way, what do you expect of T&T, Eagles and Wayamba? From the stat sheets, I find that T&T are relative newcomers in T20 and have played few matches. Wayamba have a very strong bowling attack but the batting, dependent solely on Mahela, lacks striking power. Meanwhile, Eagles don't have any famous player (except Morne van Wyk and Ryan McLaren) and the stats are not even impressive, and were virtually written off by Cricinfo.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
we saw how Andrew flintoff left test cricket for big money..
No, we saw Flintoff leaving Test Cricket because he's about to fall apart. It'll be a bonus to him if he even gets back on the field, so don't blame Twenty20 for that.

And even if he does get a season, I say fairplay to him - deserves some real rewards for the career he's had (and if he'd been born 5 years later he'd have got a hell of a lot more from the game)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
i don't know what u r talking about son.. but i suggest u take ur pipe since u seem like u r on crack..dude..

not really.. i just hate all these franchise (icl, ipl, standford, APL and soo on). they are hurting test cricket which is the real cricket..we saw how Andrew flintoff left test cricket for big money.. we saw how yousuf, Razzaq, imran nazir and even inzi left test cricket and playing for their country to make big money in ICL..we saw how shane bond, Tuffy, Nathan Astle and so many other big New Zealand cricketers quit international cricket prematurely..hell we even witnessed south African, Aussie and half of the Bangladeshi team leaving international cricket to play ICL..in future we will see more young cricketers who are going to quit playing for their country and join all these franchise for money. i am glad that standford and ICL toppled down.. and i hope they never rise again.. i am wishing the same fate for IPL and other up coming franchises like that..
  • Test cricket is untouched, and has become stronger. It is ODI cricket which has been hampered, by too many ODIs in meaningless promo tournaments.
  • Flintoff is very injury-prone and doesn't look like lasting a Test series. He did the right thing for himself.
  • Those Pakistani players you mentioned had either retired (so ICL was effectively second-innings cricket for them) or were dropped because they were not good enough, or rebelled against being dropped.
  • We all know the status of Bond in Tests as of now, so this was coming. Most of those Kiwi cricketers are often not paid well, so we've had one retiring at 23 to become a travel agent, and a little later, there were clashes over match fees.
  • Those Aussies had virtually zero chance of making their national team while the Saffies were also protesting against selection issues.
  • The Bangladeshis were anyway doing little of note, but in the ICL, they started winning. Most of them were aged players anyway.
  • Nobody saw the Stanford blooper coming.
Just how many can represent the country at a time? Many players all over these countries have little chance of making the national team, and in a place like India, they cannot earn enough from domestic cricket. Many of them are forced to look for jobs, and eventually quit the game. Something like the ICL at least gave them a sensible pay package, while the IPL provides more. It is like a second option for these players. Moreover, the Commissioner of IPL has emphasised that players have to be available on national duty, and has made arrangements so that it isn't affected- the IPL players are rated so highly because of their accomplishments for their national teams.

It is not the franchises that are at fault. The governing authorities and the different national boards are responsible for this state of affairs.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jest or not, I did think he rambled. He went on about it being called the 'champions trophy' and it not really being the champions trophy as the best players were not playing. Only in the second half of the piece do we come to the actual champions trophy where he tells us about the teams and that too, I thought was just scratching at the surface unlike the cricinfo article which had done a lot of research.
:unsure: No I didn't?