• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Everton sold Joleon Lescott to Manchester City, City subsequently sold Richard Dunne to Aston Villa, meanwhile Everton have replaced Lescott with former Man City player Sylvain Distin from Portsmouth!

Huth and Tuncay to Stoke as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bit harsh on Stoke, sort of player they have to buy to make themselves better.
mmm true, I meant it as less of a dig at stoke but more of a comment on how good a player he was. He is a great signing for Stoke, and is indeed the exact kind of player who they need to help improve them. But he is easily good enough to play for a really top side, I mean Arsenal were linked heavily with him for quite a while.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
'Pool should have gotten him IMO. Would have been good to have a player like him come off the pitch or to give Torres/Gerrard a rest.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he's decent. Hard-working and technically good but a very poor finisher. Only 15 goals in 67 Premiership games for Boro.

Stoke's probably his level, maybe marginally below. Not good enough for Spurs or City and certainly not good enough for Liverpool's bench.

Craig

World Traveller
2009/10 UEFA Champions League group stage draw:

Group A
Bayern Munich (Ger), Juventus (Ita), Bordeaux (Fra), Maccabi Haifa (Isr)

Group B
Manchester United (Eng), CSKA Moscow (Rus), Besiktas (Tur), Wolfsburg (Ger)

Group C
AC Milan (Ita), Real Madrid (Esp), Marseille (Fra), Zürich (Sui)

Group D
Chelsea (Eng), Porto (Por), Atletico Madrid (Esp), Apoel Nicosia (Cyp)

Group E
Liverpool (Eng), Lyon (Fra), Fiorentina (Ita), Debrecen (Hun)

Group F
Barcelona (Esp), Inter (Ita), Dynamo Kiev (Ukr), Rubin Kazan (Rus)

Group G
Sevilla (Esp), Rangers (Sco), Stuttgart (Ger), Unirea Urziceni (Rom)

Group H
Arsenal (Eng), AZ Alkmaar (Hol), Olympiakos (Gre), Standard Liège (Bel)

Don't know too much about Rubin Kazan except they are the defending Russian Champions and have never played in the European Cup before. Making a trip to the Ukraine makes me nervous TBH and Barca is Barca and we will probably get our arses kicked. I think Wolfsburg will finish second in their group and I have seen them ply a few times in the Bundesliga and they look like a solid team. Laughing at how easy Arsenal's group is, should of swapped one of those rubbish teams with Fiorentina, at least it will make Arsenal break out a sweat.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he's decent. Hard-working and technically good but a very poor finisher. Only 15 goals in 67 Premiership games for Boro.

Stoke's probably his level, maybe marginally below. Not good enough for Spurs or City and certainly not good enough for Liverpool's bench.
Liverpool's bench is awful though.

Need a goal in the last 15 minutes as Liverpool manager, you turn around and see Ryan Babel and David N'Gog, then you'd wish for literally anyone else.

Uppercut

Liverpool's bench is awful though.

Need a goal in the last 15 minutes as Liverpool manager, you turn around and see Ryan Babel and David N'Gog, then you'd wish for literally anyone else.
Yeah true, but Tuncay isn't the level of player they want to be aiming for to fill that gap. Keane was perfect, but Rafa treated him like ****.

duffer

That's a superb group for us tbh. Much love to UEFA. Wee Jack Wilshere, Vela and co should get some European experience later on in the group stages.

Craig

World Traveller
What do people think about Harry Redknapp's idea that West Ham and Millwall should never be allowed to meet in Cup competitions and if they somehow meet in the same league, then those games have to be played behind closed doors? I thought it was pretty extreme myself.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
What do people think about Harry Redknapp's idea that West Ham and Millwall should never be allowed to meet in Cup competitions and if they somehow meet in the same league, then those games have to be played behind closed doors? I thought it was pretty extreme myself.
The idea about not meeting in cups would never happen, would take the legitimacy out of the competition and would set a dangerous precedent. The problem is more fans outside the ground than in as well - one can (with a lot of effort) be managed, the other cannot - so closing the ground isn't really an option for me either.

Matteh

Closed doors might be worth a crack for the next meeting, but to prevent the fixture from happening could have knock on effects.

Pretty sure Serie A went through a phase of the closed doors games after some stabbings/general dickheadry between fans.

The other, more popular, option would be to disband Millwall.

Uppercut

Closed doors might be worth a crack for the next meeting, but to prevent the fixture from happening could have knock on effects.

Pretty sure Serie A went through a phase of the closed doors games after some stabbings/general dickheadry between fans.

The other, more popular, option would be to disband Millwall.
Nooo no no no. It's like when you have a large abandoned house filled with filthy rats. It's not a nice place, and everyone hates the fact that it exists. But the last thing you want to do is burn down the house, because if you do that there's no telling where all the rats would go.

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah true, but Tuncay isn't the level of player they want to be aiming for to fill that gap. Keane was perfect, but Rafa treated him like ****.
Perfect :laugh: Did you actually watch him play? apart from missing open goals and waving his arms about every 5 minutes he did nothing.

He was **** and Rafa treated him how he deserved to be treated.

Matteh

Nooo no no no. It's like when you have a large abandoned house filled with filthy rats. It's not a nice place, and everyone hates the fact that it exists. But the last thing you want to do is burn down the house, because if you do that there's no telling where all the rats would go.
Haha, best analogy.

Uppercut

Pfft, he's been a quality striker for everyone else he's played for. It's not like he magically turned to poo in the three sub appearances he made in the four months he spent at Liverpool. Even if it didn't work out he's still a pretty good example of the level of player you should be looking for to fill the bench.

duffer

Pfft, he's been a quality striker for everyone else he's played for. It's not like he magically turned to poo in the three sub appearances he made in the four months he spent at Liverpool. Even if it didn't work out he's still a pretty good example of the level of player you should be looking for to fill the bench.
A tad pricey for a bench player tbh. Especially when their manager loves to warble on about how much of a poor little club they are.