• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Hoggy31

International Captain
Fair to say it's over if we lose even one wicket in the 1st session.

Reckon the tail will get close, will say England by 55.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
If Australia go through the session without losing a wicket they are favourites.
If they lose just a wicket, England has the edge but Australia still has a chance if Johnson plays well.
If England take two or more wickets they will probably win.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
Fair to say it's over if we lose even one wicket in the 1st session.

Reckon the tail will get close, will say England by 55.
Yeah, unless Johnson plays the knock of his life. We're on a knife edge, but that's more than we had any right/expectation to be yesterday at lunch.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
If I were a neutral, which i'm not, I think i'd be hoping for an England win by not many. If Australia win, I can't see the series extending beyond Edgbaston (wrt the ashes being on the line), but if England I think it will go down to the Oval at 1 all

so yeah lets hope those guardians of neutrality, messry Koertzen and Doctrove, feel the same way :ph34r::laugh:

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Australia go through the session without losing a wicket they are favourites.
If they lose just a wicket, England has the edge but Australia still has a chance if Johnson plays well.
Nah mate, England monumental favourites here. Will be amazing if Australia do this.

They've got some good tail enders of course, but it's a different story batting to win a test than it is to set alead, in the 1st innings or even compared with trying to save it.

It's a massive ask, realistically.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fatigue a factor for the bowlers as well though, especially if one or two are carrying injuries.

Not just physical fatigue, but mental plays a part, for bowlers and batsmen, given what's at stake here.
Yeah, was going to mention this after reading through the thread. Fatigue and pressure have the potential to play a part in both team's demise.

Personally, I am hoping now we've come this close that these two can get us to within 5 so there's next to nothing for the tail to do. I'm worried it'll be a huge anti-climax if one of them gets out in the first couple of overs.

The posters saying there's only Johnson to come seem to have forgotten that Hauritz isn't terrible with the bat either.

Uppercut

Nah mate, England monumental favourites here. Will be amazing if Australia do this.

They've got some good tail enders of course, but it's a different story batting to win a test than it is to set alead, in the 1st innings or even compared with trying to save it.

It's a massive ask, realistically.
I think the 4th-innings-is-more-difficult stuff is pretty overplayed these days. Players generally are far more capable of dealing with the pressure (and fitter) than they used to be.

Burgey

If I were a neutral, which i'm not, I think i'd be hoping for an England win by not many. If Australia win, I can't see the series extending beyond Edgbaston (wrt the ashes being on the line), but if England I think it will go down to the Oval at 1 all
If I was a neutral I'd be wanting an Australian win by 5 wickets with over a session to spare.

But that's just me :).

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Could care less about winning it, could bat all day and draw it, despite the fact they should've won it and I'll still be stoked. Looks by the way they are batting on replay that they're definately going for the win.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So, err, **** pitch yeah?

Actually it's not great but I don't think with these two teams any pitch is going to be a certain draw. At least this has a bit more pace and bounce than Cardiff, and a quicker outfield.