• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Be so comedown if Johnson is dropped. From going from being one of the best quicks in the world to being dumped after just two poor outings.
I can't believe so many people are suggesting it should happen. I'm actually astounded by the vast over-reaction to a couple of poor games. Ashes cricket has always brought about knee-jerking more than anything else, but I'm dumbfounded by some of the posts from people I consider to be knowledgeable and fair-minded.

I actually consider myself a Johnson sceptic and I don't think it should even be considered at the moment.

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
Too early to drop Mitch but playing on those helpful surfaces in SA bloated his reputation. He looked ordinary again in the third test in Cape T. on a flat deck.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Might be the last over from Hilfenhaus one would suspect. England a little bit becalmed, but hopefully over their shaky spell.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe so many people are suggesting it should happen. I'm actually astounded by the vast over-reaction to a couple of poor games. Ashes cricket has always brought about knee-jerkers more than anything else, but I'm dumbfounded by some of the posts from people I consider to be knowledgable and fair-minded.

I actually consider myself a Johnson sceptic and I don't think it should even be considered at the moment.
Indeed.

I can understand some questions over Ravi but Johnson is probably one of the cricketers England would rather not face. Clark and Lee will come in under too much of cloud, are they fit, has Clark got his nip back et cetera.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I can't believe so many people are suggesting it should happen. I'm actually astounded by the vast over-reaction to a couple of poor games. Ashes cricket has always brought about knee-jerking more than anything else, but I'm dumbfounded by some of the posts from people I consider to be knowledgeable and fair-minded.

AWTA.

Playing South Africa is just as important as playing England. :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maxwell on 5 Live said he spoke with Lee yesterday and Jim didn't think Lee had a chance for the 3rd test.

Be so comedown if Johnson is dropped. From going from being one of the best quicks in the world to being dumped after just two poor outings.
Jim Maxwell from ABC Radio? The man's a tool. Could be right about Lee though :happy:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming that England don't suddenly collapse or anything, how conservative do people expect Strauss to be with the declaration? All I'm going off is the West Indies one where he set them 500, but I assume he's usually safety first?

England are already 325 ahead so could easily be well over 500 in front if they're still batting at lunch tomorrow. I can't see any reason to bat on beyond that point, given the likely weather issues.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Too early to drop Mitch but playing on those helpful surfaces in SA bloated his reputation. He looked ordinary again in the third test in Cape T. on a flat deck.
H's obviously not a bad bowler, but the way he's bowling at the moment he gives the other bowlers too much to do.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain

So you'd have this attack (may as well call it a defense) unchanged for the third Test?

I may be a knee-jerker, but I'd also like to win. Long-term selections for England and Australia are nearly always made circumspect to the next Ashes series. These bowlers have been groomed accordingly. If they misfire in a series like this, the selectorial faith has been misplaced (for this series, at least). Not having this stupid, stupid system of 'showing faith'. Two Tests is plenty of faith for a series your career has been building up to.

I would take your point if there wasn't a viable alternative. There is in Lee and Clark. You know, the lynchpins of our attack for the past two years.

Last edited:

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Assuming that England don't suddenly collapse or anything, how conservative do people expect Strauss to be with the declaration? All I'm going off is the West Indies one where he set them 500, but I assume he's usually safety first?

England are already 325 ahead so could easily be well over 500 in front if they're still batting at lunch tomorrow. I can't see any reason to bat on beyond that point, given the likely weather issues.
Can't see him declaring before 500, if the wicket holds up , it wouldn't surprise me if Australia save this test, or at least go close if the sun stays out. Ponting will want a big score.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

I wouldn't normally make a call like that and you know it, but seriously, I could bowl better than he is bowling in this game. It's absolute rubbish, it'd be smashed in domestic cricket, ****, I reckon I could've score a few off of his first spell on Day 1. It's seriously about ten times worse than in the Windies. The **** needs a boot up the arse for this puss.