• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't like watching Hughes, but at the same time I do. Not sure how to describe it.
Think you've summed it up pretty well. He's (durr) unorthodox, but in a horrible way. Lara was equally so, but where I used to purr watching the great man Hughes looks like some batting savant. Plays some great shots tho, for all that. Great nose as well, best opener's snout since Lawry. :p

Also, why are we giving him width? I'm just some **** who watches a bit of cricket and talks shyte on the interwebs and even I know he's a fairly useful cutter. FFS. 8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't like watching Hughes, but at the same time I do. Not sure how to describe it.
Yeah, totally with you. Every time he moves towards leg to a ball on off-stump I cringe, and then he drives it through cover off the back foot and it's a thing of beauty. He's a remarkable cricketer.

crickets

Cricket Spectator
hughes is so jumpy when its bowled down leg and yet has no foot work or makes any attempt to move to play them on the leg side. dont they know this?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching Swann today, he looked a right handed Trescothick under the lid. Not the way he played, he actually looked a bit like him. Bats better though.

Then again, I'm coming off a late night and a few scotches. Think I'll have another.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well Hughes certainly had a good half hour. It might just be that aggression is the order of the day on this pitch - it's only going to get worse as the match progresses.

Woodster

International Captain
Fair play to Hughes in what can be a tricky half hour period before a break. He played his natural game, played to his own strengths, but England's attack did help settle him down by feeding him a number of deliveries outside that off stump, but fair play, he nailed virtually every one.

Flintoff will be the key against Hughes, his aggressive style of bowling, and control of his line will no doubt cramp Hughes, Prediction - TKO in the 2nd round as Hughes nicks one to Strauss.

Swann was a touch full before lunch, but will play a big part in this afternoon session, should be intruiging viewing. Sadly I have a feeling that Katich will be a thorn in our side today.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Watching Swann today, he looked a right handed Trescothick under the lid. Not the way he played, he actually looked a bit like him. Bats better though.

Then again, I'm coming off a late night and a few scotches. Think I'll have another.
Hope he has the same ability for, um, ball-shining as Tresco :ph34r:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Is Broad a bit dense?
They've no doubt spent hours upon hours analysing the way Hughes batted against South Africa and for Middlesex, and like everybody else who has been even vaguely following the build-up to this series would have deduced that giving him room outside off stump isn't bright....Broad then proceeds to play him in with a barrage of short, wide crap. Clearly wasn't a plan either, it's not like they were tying him down then throwing him some wide bait to try induce an edge....just poor bowling.

Uppercut

Is Broad a bit dense?
They've no doubt spent hours upon hours analysing the way Hughes batted against South Africa and for Middlesex, and like everybody else who has been even vaguely following the build-up to this series would have deduced that giving him room outside off stump isn't bright....Broad then proceeds to play him in with a barrage of short, wide crap. Clearly wasn't a plan either, it's not like they were tying him down then throwing him some wide bait to try induce an edge....just poor bowling.
The thing about Hughes is, he can cut absolutely anything. I'm convinced at some stage he'll somehow play a leg-stump half-volley through point for four. I reckon Broad just didn't realise how little the margin of error is when bowling back-of-a-length to Hughes.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think his problem is that he doesn't actually have any noticeable weapons. Yeah he's tall, but not accurate, doesn't move it and isn't remotely intelligent as a bowler.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Can Matthew Prior get a warning for over-appealing? seriously.

MacGilla making me cringe, it's hard to watch. Is this some secret ploy by Foxtel?

Burgey

agree with this... some shots he plays look gorgeous and than the ugliness comes out as well.

I had forgotten how terrible it is to watch Katich dance around the pitch.
Yep. Neither of them can match the purity, or indeed brevity, of Ian Bell that's for sure.

iamdavid

International Debutant
The thing about Hughes is, he can cut absolutely anything. I'm convinced at some stage he'll somehow play a leg-stump half-volley through point for four. I reckon Broad just didn't realise how little the margin of error is when bowling back-of-a-length to Hughes.
Yeah well Anderson could use that excuse for the way he bowled before lunch, he had an inswinger headed straight for middle slashed through point for a couple and he looked as though he had some idea what he was trying to achieve..

iamdavid

International Debutant
Can Matthew Prior get a warning for over-appealing? seriously.

MacGilla making me cringe, it's hard to watch. Is this some secret ploy by Foxtel?
Haha agree, I've noticed a couple of times tonight SBS has cut him off mid-sentence to cross to the proper commentators....trying to cut their losses

Burgey

Haha agree, I've noticed a couple of times tonight SBS has cut him off mid-sentence to cross to the proper commentators....trying to cut their losses
Mate, that fella in your avatar looks like Michael Jacskon, only black