• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

R_D

International Debutant
I don't like watching Hughes, but at the same time I do. Not sure how to describe it.
agree with this... some shots he plays look gorgeous and than the ugliness comes out as well.

I had forgotten how terrible it is to watch Katich dance around the pitch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well, Aussies will be pleased with some brisk batting there, but I'd have taken the current situation at the start of the day. Want three out minimum by tea though, and expect Australia to be following on by the time I switch on at 5.45/

R_D

International Debutant
i'm sure its been mentioned in here.. but god McGill is annoying.
Obviousaly forgetting he's hosting the show not one of the boys in the Aus cricket team.

edit- beaten to it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I guess two bad overs from Stuart Broad prove that everyone is right all along and he's crap?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Definitely. If your length or line is slightly wrong he'll cream you through cover. Doesn't appear to have much of an on-side game, but if you play as well as that on the off-side, with that technique it doesn't really matter. Can definitely see him having a top series.
What's going to test him imo is he's going to be learning on the job in test cricket, given he's come into it so young.
I think he'll develop his all-around the wicket game, but we just have to see. He's a precocious talent no doubt.
Kudos to him for playing naturally in a pressure situation. Says something for his temperament.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Broad was pretty ordinary. It wasn't very intelligent bowling to Hughes anyway. Looking forward to seeing Flintoff after the break, he'll have to bowl really well. I can't really see Swann and Panesar alone being enough, even though it's turning a bit.

Hughes is a fascinating guy to watch. I've never seen any batsman at test level who is so set around playing the ball in a particular area, but he's awesome against anything wide of off. Absolutely dominated Broad's first over.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Think it's a very good move from Strauss to hold Flintoff back until after Lunch. Once Hughes got going and got in, Flintoff's short pitched stuff would be of less impact on him, so holding back until after lunch allows him to get a look in at a less settled and more edgy Hughes.

Smart captaincy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flintoff-Hughes could be truly fascinating, hope it doesn't last too long but will be great viewing if it does