• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty shocked that Clark was left out. I can sort of understand the decision to pick Hauritz if it was felt the pitch would turn, which is obviously the concensus, but Hilfenhaus over Clark is a very odd call and I think they'll miss Clark.

Still, Hilf bowled very well throughout, pick of the bowlers. Good session for Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a good attacking option too, especially on a wicket that is said to have 'tennis ball bounce'.
Don't think it is on tennis-ball bounce decks TBH, being through the shot too early rarely results in a wicket, just an awkward-looking shot or a blow on the arm.

It's only on lightning, WACA decks (don't really get them anywhere else, though I suppose you used to at Sabina Park and Kensington Oval) that the short ball becomes a good attacking weapon in itself, because you can actually beat batsmen for bounce.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yup. What does the post you quoted have to do with that? No batsman can force a bowler to bowl repeated short deliveries - or in fact force him to bowl anything at all. What he bowls is entirely down to the bowler's ability.
I get the impression you're a 65 mph medium pacer who's never bowled a ball above stump height mate. :)

Good, fast short-pitched bowling is never fun to face, I can attest to that.

Some people play it better than others, but no one enjoys it (maybe Viv excepted).

As for Strauss, I can attest to his falling to it on at least three previous occasions v Australia alone:

1. Top-edged Lee for a c&b at Lord's(?) in 05
2. 1st innings Gabba 06
3. 2nd inings Gabba 06.

Of course, you'll say "Yeah, but he's got however many short balls in his career and put them away", and you'd be right. But he's also got however many full balls shaping away on middle and off and put them away, despite getting out to a few of them.

Doesn't mean you stop trying either tactic against him (or anyone else for that matter).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Andre Maddocks, WAG.
And very good it is to have him back. Hope all's well with your world mate.

As for wee Ben, the ignore list is a wonderful thing, isn't it. Now if folks could manage not to quote him I can get on with enjoying the grown ups' comments, whichever side of the world they come from.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't think it is on tennis-ball bounce decks TBH, being through the shot too early rarely results in a wicket, just an awkward-looking shot or a blow on the arm.

It's only on lightning, WACA decks (don't really get them anywhere else, though I suppose you used to at Sabina Park and Kensington Oval) that the short ball becomes a good attacking weapon in itself, because you can actually beat batsmen for bounce.
Depends on whether they're talking about about the pace or the bounce.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've gotta say, I do find the way opinions have changed about Panesar since the last Ashes kind of amusing. I wouldn't have picked him for this game either and I realise his form has been very poor in county cricket, but the whinging that went on in 2006/07 when he wasn't picked has nearly been matched by the whinging now when he has been. I can see where you're all coming from but it certainly does strike me as just a little bit fickle.

Again, I wouldn't have picked him for this game either, but it's hardly the worst selection of all time. England have picked someone who has proven he can utilise favourable conditions at Test level at times in conditions that are expected to favour him over a man who has only played two Tests, both against weak opposition, and only very recently got his First Class average below 30.

Australia, on the other hand, left out a man with 90 Test wickets at an average of under 23, a man of the series award the last time these two teams met and key experience in these conditions for two bowlers who have proven absolutely nothing at Test level in any conditions - one of whom has a First Class record a rank part-timer would be embarassed of.

Panesar for Onions was the wrong call but the blunder pales in comparison to the howlers Australia have come up with. Count yourselves lucky that Amjad Khan and Jamie Dalrymple aren't playing.

Burgey

Anyway, KP looks out of touch. I think the Aussies are afraid to say it and the English are afraid to admit it, but he just looks in bad form. Not "ominously", just, like he's having a rough patch dealing with certain types of delivery. I've never seen him look so awkward before.
Probably obvious but it looks like he's over-commiting to his forward-and-across movement as the ball's released, and his head isn't straight because of that.
Still clearly the bastman most feared by us, obviously.

Son Of Coco

I get the impression you're a 65 mph medium pacer who's never bowled a ball above stump height mate. :)

Some people play it better than others, but no one enjoys it (maybe Viv excepted).

As for Strauss, I can attest to his falling to it on at least three previous occasions v Australia alone:

2. 1st innings Gabba 06
3. 2nd inings Gabba 06.

Of course, you'll say "Yeah, but he's got however many short balls in his career and put them away", and you'd be right. But he's also got however many full balls shaping away on middle and off and put them away, despite getting out to a few of them.

Doesn't mean you stop trying either tactic against him (or anyone else for that matter).
I get the same impression.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right on the former score, very wrong on the latter. On our newly relaid square, I can hit a batsman on the helmet as easily as someone who bowls 77mph. Lovely bounce, it has.
Of course it isn't, but what's fun to face and what takes wickets are not the exact same thing.

2. 1st innings Gabba 06
3. 2nd inings Gabba 06.

Strauss is inestimably stronger against short than full. The Lee c&b in 2005 was more uneven bounce than short ball BTW.

Top_Cat

I've gotta say, I do find the way opinions have changed about Panesar since the last Ashes kind of amusing. I wouldn't have picked him for this game either and I realise his form has been very poor in county cricket, but the whinging that went on in 2006/07 when he wasn't picked has nearly been matched by the whinging now when he has been. I can see where you're all coming from but it certainly does strike me as just a little bit fickle.

Again, I wouldn't have picked him for this game either, but it's hardly the worst selection of all time. England have picked someone who has proven he can utilise favourable conditions at Test level at times in conditions that are expected to favour him over a man who has only played two Tests, both against weak opposition, and only very recently got his First Class average below 30.

Australia, on the other hand, left out a man with 90 Test wickets at an average of under 23, a man of the series award the last time these two teams met and key experience in these conditions for two bowlers who have proven absolutely nothing at Test level in any conditions - one of whom has a First Class record a rank part-timer would be embarassed of.

Panesar for Onions was the wrong call but the blunder pales in comparison to the howlers Australia have come up with. Count yourselves lucky that Amjad Khan and Jamie Dalrymple aren't playing.
Presuming Clark is fully fit.

Burgey

another nervous start by KP.whats the pitch like guys?.i am not watching atm.
Slow mate. Looks a lot like the warm-up game pitch for mine, but with a bit more sideways movement.

Been surprised how much movement Siddle got through the air. Bit of sideways off the deck too. Was inconsistent in his line, but you'd expect that with only one warm up on tour. Hilfy the pick seems to be the consensus view.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

TBF, MSP has proven better at wasting favourable conditions than utilising them of late. And in 2006/07 he was hopelessly overrated and people thought he could utilise any conditions. First people have gotten a more realistic impression of him, then he's regressed. Ergo, he's now a terrible selection.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Can only echo the Hilf over Clark sentiments but Hilf is showing more than he ever has at this level, good on him.

stephen

What an enjoyable evening of cricket so far :)

Love how everyone writes of how dangerous Johnson actually is. Brilliant slower ball for the second wicket and yet another venomous bouncer for his first.

Slightly disappointed with Siddle's figures, thought that he bowled better than that.

Redbacks

International Captain
Hope that we can remove KP rather soon. In the ideal case we need to get a decent lead in the 1st innings to ensure not a large amount work would be required batting last on this wicket

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Even from Germany, the first day of an Ashes summer is still really exciting.

Does the pitch look like it will turn?

EDIT.

Some predictions:

Century from KPP - but Hughes/Ponting will get one too. Prior to go well. Swann to take 3 wickets in each innings.

Which ever team leads on first innings will win the match, and the team that wins the first match will win the series.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Does the pitch look like it will turn?
Impossible to say really. Apparently it looked dry, but no-one has bowled a break so far, except Johnson on the Bopara wicket, when he was deceived not by any turn but the change of pace.

Anyway, time for work. Looking forwards to the highlights later. :)

Top_Cat

Impossible to say really. Apparently it looked dry, but no-one has bowled a break so far, except Johnson on the Bopara wicket, when he was deceived not by any turn but the change of pace.
I think if Hauritz is going to succeed on this deck, he'll have to do vary his pace too. Not exactly going to get big turn.