• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

HRH Prince Phil of Macksville - WAG

Redbacks

International Captain
I'm going to that one too. Not a Middlesex supporter though (going with a friend who is) so it doesn't bother me too much whether Hughes makes runs or not. A broken finger or two would be handy though. :thumbsup:
Fortunately we have a big fella in waiting who made a hundred for Glamorgan:)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm going to that one too. Not a Middlesex supporter though (going with a friend who is) so it doesn't bother me too much whether Hughes makes runs or not. A broken finger or two would be handy though. :thumbsup:
No, I'm not a Middx fan either, but if I'm going to pay for the ticket I'd like to see him play. Too early in the summer for a broken finger though... wait until early June. :p

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I've been following Phillip Hughes (he prefers to be called Phillip) for the last couple of seasons for NSW. He is one of my faves now. He was fantastic against SA.

I look forward to P Hughes getting onto the Honour Board at Lords. :laugh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw Hughes at Lords today, a few thoughts/first impressions...

- He's tiny! Looked even tinier than Langer.
- He hits the ball bloody hard. Absolutely smashes it.
- He got to about 30 with nothing much other than cut shots. I was just wondering if he could actually do anything else, and he pinged a pull shot out the ground.
- Scotland bowled absolutely rubbish today, so Hughes looked good, but Godleman, Morgan and even Udal were tonking it around.
- I reckon he's one of Australia's most dangerous batsman this summer... talented, in form, and young enough to be completely fearless. However, one day I expect someone will figure out something that gives him a lean run. Will be interesting to see who/what that is.
- I can now see why he's not in the one-day side. He seemed to lack a bit of finesse and seemed to me to try to smack everything. After a bit of experience I can see that he'll do well there, but probably not yet. There's only 3/4 spots in the team for someone who can only bat, so he's not quite there at the moment.
- It would have been interesting to see what he was like against spin. However, the spinner came on and bowled him first ball. Cue lots of amusement in the crowd about Aussies not being able to play spin.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Looking likely for another ton. Playing the supporting act to Strauss.

His ability to make use of good form is incredible.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw Hughes at Lords today, a few thoughts/first impressions...

- He's tiny! Looked even tinier than Langer.
- He hits the ball bloody hard. Absolutely smashes it.
- He got to about 30 with nothing much other than cut shots. I was just wondering if he could actually do anything else, and he pinged a pull shot out the ground.
- Scotland bowled absolutely rubbish today, so Hughes looked good, but Godleman, Morgan and even Udal were tonking it around.
- I reckon he's one of Australia's most dangerous batsman this summer... talented, in form, and young enough to be completely fearless. However, one day I expect someone will figure out something that gives him a lean run. Will be interesting to see who/what that is.
- I can now see why he's not in the one-day side. He seemed to lack a bit of finesse and seemed to me to try to smack everything. After a bit of experience I can see that he'll do well there, but probably not yet. There's only 3/4 spots in the team for someone who can only bat, so he's not quite there at the moment.
- It would have been interesting to see what he was like against spin. However, the spinner came on and bowled him first ball. Cue lots of amusement in the crowd about Aussies not being able to play spin.
Lucky he won't have that trouble against Panesar. :ph34r:

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
Well, in English county cricket Phil Hughes currently averages over 321.

I hope this form continutes into the Ashes.

Edit: Just got out :(

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's just getting warmed up :)

Can he get 1000 before the end of May?

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Impressive start to the season for young Phil Hughes. Since making his debut two seasons ago he has essentially not put a foot wrong. His form has not dipped, only improved. The kid is clearly the most naturally talented cricketer to come from Australian ranks since Ricky Ponting. I'm sure if he ends his career similar to Ponting's nobody will be upset.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Phil Hughes to beat Mark Taylor's 839 runs in 1989 to be Aus's most successful first-time Ashes opener. Any takers?

pasag

RTDAS
I love it how Dean Jones was whining about how Hughes should have been in Dubai opening for Australia, as if that's better preparation for the Ashes than scoring three tons in England.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dean Jones is the worst columnist. He said it was hypocritical that no-one is going to Pakistan whilst still going to India, conveniently leaving out the fact that a cricket side was specifically targeted.

Craig

World Traveller
Only the English would sign somebody who could be a key player for the opposition and play them into form. Would an Australian state give Kevin Pietersen or Alastair Cook a run before the Ashes were to be held in Australia? Of course not.

Pheobe

Banned
Only the English would sign somebody who could be a key player for the opposition and play them into form. Would an Australian state give Kevin Pietersen or Alastair Cook a run before the Ashes were to be held in Australia? Of course not.
I think Hughes, regardless of his extraordinary run of scores, is a tad over rated.

Don't get me wrong, he will be a crucial peg in Australia's Ashes machine. However his performances so far in the county cricket has come in Division 2.

Also, hopefully he has not peaked early in the season.

Athlai

Not Terrible
NZ did it to Anderson recently.